Tennessee game most important of CPJ's Career?

-

• Total voters

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
2009 UGA was the most important game of CPJs career. 9-4 in '08 with a win over UGA. 10-1 heading into the '09 matchup with a possibility still on the table for slipping in to the title game if things fell our way in weeks 13/14 (which some of them did) and possibility of getting Richt fired after their disappointing season. That loss really stalled the ascent of the program. If we win that one we're heading into bowl season 12-1 and maybe to the title game. Fast forward a month and we stall out in the Orange Bowl to finish 11-3 and lose Morgan/DT/Burnett/Dwyer to the draft. Horrific 5 weeks for the program.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
2009 UGA was the most important game of CPJs career. 9-4 in '08 with a win over UGA. 10-1 heading into the '09 matchup with a possibility still on the table for slipping in to the title game if things fell our way in weeks 13/14 (which some of them did) and possibility of getting Richt fired after their disappointing season. That loss really stalled the ascent of the program. If we win that one we're heading into bowl season 12-1 and maybe to the title game.
Texas and Bama were undefeated. We would have still gone to the orange bowl

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Texas and Bama were undefeated. We would have still gone to the orange bowl

Texas won on a FG as time expired in the Big12 Title game IIRC. That was the game McCoy threw the ball out of bounds to stop the clock and set up a FG and it looked like time had expired before it hit OOB. Nebraska flooded the field but they reviewed and added 1 second. McCoy admitted to not knowing the clock didn't stop until the ball hit something OOB. We were not far away from a chance at the title that season.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I think so. After a great finish to the regular season Johnson and has Staff has finished strong on the trail as well. 2017 is likely going to be Johnson's best class ever, pending that everyone signs and everyone makes it to Atlanta this summer.

After a 9-4 season Georgia Tech will probably be ranked in the AP top 25. Tennessee will also be in the Top 25, after a let down of a season they will
come out hungry and playing pissed off football in week 1.

We play on a Monday night on a National Holliday in a brand new Stadium that will host the National Championship and Super Bowl in 2018 & 2019. All eyes will be on GT and CPJ's offense, everyone wanting to check out Option Football.

To me this is the biggest game of CPJ's career so far, simply because of the hype after beating UGA last year and finishing 9-4 and all of the Stud recruits we have coming in. People can sense change in ATL. With the Dirty Birds playing for a world title, Braves Building a new stadium, GT Basketball rebuilding with an awesome new head coach. There is certainly a BUZZ around the city. If CPJ can pull this one off it can start a special age of GT Football. I'm usually not a hype guy always nervous and quite before games but I just can't control it this time. 214 days or something like that left, can't wait.
#TuckFennessee

If you are a player or a coach, the most important game is the one you are about to play whether it is Mercer or Tennessee. What fans think is the most important is irrelevant.

1. Tennessee has to replace their entire offense.
2. Our defense is much improved
3.. At the end of the season teams were putting 500 plus yards on the Tennessee defense
4. I am guessing that Mathew Jordan will be our starter and we will run a methodical ground and pound midline, B back with a few A back tosses and wear them out.

Next year could be special.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Texas won on a FG as time expired in the Big12 Title game IIRC. That was the game McCoy threw the ball out of bounds to stop the clock and set up a FG and it looked like time had expired before it hit OOB. Nebraska flooded the field but they reviewed and added 1 second. McCoy admitted to not knowing the clock didn't stop until the ball hit something OOB. We were not far away from a chance at the title that season.
TCU, Boise, and Cincy were also undefeated. Maybe a win against UGA pushes us over them but they would have been a 7-5 team as the marquee win. Even before the UGA game though we were ranked behind all of those teams in the BCS. ACC was for the most part was rated pretty poorly in the polls around that time and probably wouldnt get a non FSU team into the title game without going undefeated. I think either way our ceiling due to the BCS was the Orange Bowl. if the 4 team playoff was around you could have had talk of us making it in but with just the top 2 teams and 5 (4 if Texas loses) undefeated choices with Boise being the flavor of the era underdog I just can't see us getting picked. The 09 UGA game would have made a big difference from a program standpoint but ultimately not much different nationally imo.

Personally I think 2014 UGA was a more important game ultimately from a national perspective. It was the difference between going to the Orange Bowl, picking up a another win over a top 10 SEC team, and finishing in the top 10 in the poll vs playing in a mid tier bowl game. It was just unfortunate we weren't able to build off of it the next season.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
TCU, Boise, and Cincy were also undefeated. Maybe a win against UGA pushes us over them but they would have been a 7-5 team as the marquee win. Even before the UGA game though we were ranked behind all of those teams in the BCS. ACC was for the most part was rated pretty poorly in the polls around that time and probably wouldnt get a non FSU team into the title game without going undefeated. I think either way our ceiling due to the BCS was the Orange Bowl. if the 4 team playoff was around you could have had talk of us making it in but with just the top 2 teams and 5 (4 if Texas loses) undefeated choices with Boise being the flavor of the era underdog I just can't see us getting picked. The 09 UGA game would have made a big difference from a program standpoint but ultimately not much different nationally imo.

Personally I think 2014 UGA was a more important game ultimately from a national perspective. It was the difference between going to the Orange Bowl, picking up a another win over a top 10 SEC team, and finishing in the top 10 in the poll vs playing in a mid tier bowl game. It was just unfortunate we weren't able to build off of it the next season.
Cincinnati was a joke as an undefeated team and Florida quarterbacked by Tim Tebow humiliated them in the Sugar Bowl 51-24.

Last edited:

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Cincinnati was a joke as an undefeated team and Florida quarterbacked by Tim Tebow humiliated them in the Sugar Bowl.
If only the voters had that information before. They still wouldnt know that if we beat UGA and Cincy likely would have stayed ahead of us in the polls along with the other teams.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
No. This isn't even close.

The biggest games of his time here were the 2008, 2009, and 2014 uga games, and the 2009 Clemson game. The 2014 FSU and Mississippi State games are high on the list, too. That '09 uga game still stings.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Love the enthusiasm. It would certainly help for national recognition.

Even if we don't pull it off, folks would forget pretty quickly if we went on to win the coastal and/or beat UGAg.

90% of CFB fans (and most of the sports media) won't be able to name a single GT player with JeT gone. I'll be surprised if we start off ranked.

Losing to both ut & ugag in same year would be devastating. Embrace the challenge, the requirement, the commitment required for greatness. Beating sec teams can in no way be undervalued. Just the way it is.

ZacketJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
The only case that can be made for this game being important is its ability to launch us well into the top 25 at the top of the season. Sure, that's important, but I don't think it's as important as 1) any conference game in which we're still competing to win the Coastal, 2) a conference championship game, 3) a "major" bowl game, or, for most of us, 4) any uGA game. So no, I wouldn't say the Tennessee game is the most important game of CPJ's career, or even anywhere in the top 10.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe not the most important game, but can we stop raining on the parade here? Come on everybody get up and feel the hype! All eyes in America will be on this prime-time Monday night spotlight match-up in the sparkling new Mercedes Benz stadium. Beat this preseason-favorite SEC team and Georgia Tech is named in the Top 25 or the entire month of September (barring a Jax St catastrophe)... Lose and we can forget about ranking until October at best. This is a big showcase game from a regional and borderline-national perspective, that sets the tone for the entire season. Following-up the ACC's standout year in 2016, this match-up along with FSU vs Alabama can springboard our Yellow Jackets and the conference into the national spotlight to stay. GT Nation needs to get up and paint the dome gold!

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Maybe not the most important game, but can we stop raining on the parade here? Come on everybody get up and feel the hype! All eyes in America will be on this prime-time Monday night spotlight match-up in the sparkling new Mercedes Benz stadium. Beat this preseason-favorite SEC team and Georgia Tech is named in the Top 25 or the entire month of September (barring a Jax St catastrophe)... Lose and we can forget about ranking until October at best. This is a big showcase game from a regional and borderline-national perspective, that sets the tone for the entire season. Following-up the ACC's standout year in 2016, this matchup along with FSU vs Alabama can springboard our Yellow Jackets and the conference onto the national spotlight to stay. GT Nation needs to get up and paint the dome gold!
The point spread think that I posted from another message board said the GT-UT game was at 12:00 Noon.