Tennessee game most important of CPJ's Career?

-

• Total voters

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Without looking at the schedule, I see this as the 10th most important game on the 2017 schedule. Behind 8 ACC games and UGA.

Word up. Plus if you lose it's such an early loss that it doesn't hurt as much as a loss later in the season relative to play off or bowl selection.

Also, regarding recruiting, recruits don't pick GT because of hype. They pick GT because they realize the value of the degree will reward them every year for many years once they hang up their cleats. Plus they dig the family atmosphere, how cool the other kids on the team are, the no BS/straight-talk from CPJ, and the opportunities Atlanta offers.

Don't get me wrong. Winning big is great and can help you recruit--even at GT--because kids want to win and it helps us vs Vandy, Duke, Stanford, ND, Northwestern, and other places kids go to actually get an education. But I don't see the TN game making a big difference at all. It does get us some exposure in East TN which has been a fruitful hunting ground of late. However we'll get positive exposure win or lose.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Love the enthusiasm. It would certainly help for national recognition.

Even if we don't pull it off, folks would forget pretty quickly if we went on to win the coastal and/or beat UGAg.

90% of CFB fans (and most of the sports media) won't be able to name a single GT player with JeT gone. I'll be surprised if we start off ranked.

I already have seen a poll that had us 16th.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
My concerns are (a) New starting QB. (b) Early in the season.

Our offense usually takes a few games to really start clicking, and I suspect having a new starting QB will not help. And under Roof the defense has also usually gotten better towards the latter part of the season. We saw this in both 2014 and 2016.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think so. After a great finish to the regular season Johnson and has Staff has finished strong on the trail as well. 2017 is likely going to be Johnson's best class ever, pending that everyone signs and everyone makes it to Atlanta this summer.

After a 9-4 season Georgia Tech will probably be ranked in the AP top 25. Tennessee will also be in the Top 25, after a let down of a season they will
come out hungry and playing pissed off football in week 1.

We play on a Monday night on a National Holliday in a brand new Stadium that will host the National Championship and Super Bowl in 2018 & 2019. All eyes will be on GT and CPJ's offense, everyone wanting to check out Option Football.

To me this is the biggest game of CPJ's career so far, simply because of the hype after beating UGA last year and finishing 9-4 and all of the Stud recruits we have coming in. People can sense change in ATL. With the Dirty Birds playing for a world title, Braves Building a new stadium, GT Basketball rebuilding with an awesome new head coach. There is certainly a BUZZ around the city. If CPJ can pull this one off it can start a special age of GT Football. I'm usually not a hype guy always nervous and quite before games but I just can't control it this time. 214 days or something like that left, can't wait.
#TuckFennessee
The most important game every year is UGAG hands down

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I think his biggest game so far was a couple years ago in Athens. If that game had been lost, followed by the 2015 "no bowl" year, the chants for a new coach would have been constant and may have won the day. That win also confirmed that CPJ could produce a great year without Chan's recruits.

There still are those who wish for a coaching change, but I for one am So glad that half the posts are no longer arguments about the coaches and that most are excited about the possibilities going forward!

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
My only fear is that we tend to come out rusty and slow at the beginning of the season only to improve as the season wears on. Its a big stage for an unproven quarterback to get going. I love that we're playing at the Benz against the Vols, but of all the years I wish we could warm up with some cupcakes...this would be the one.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Give the OP a little credit. Nothing but good flows from beating UT. Imagine a world where we beat UT, uga, and maybe Clempson next year. A three or four game winning streak against the SEC. A big start to a season coming off a nine win season. It is a chance to take a big step up in front of a national TV audience in ATL where the local press will have to cover it. Just think about what a loss would mean. It would take months to recover.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
http://
My only fear is that we tend to come out rusty and slow at the beginning of the season only to improve as the season wears on. Its a big stage for an unproven quarterback to get going. I love that we're playing at the Benz against the Vols, but of all the years I wish we could warm up with some cupcakes...this would be the one.
Tennessee will have their struggles also. Tennessee has a new offensive coordinator in former Miami Interim Head Coach Larry Scott and they will wont have figured out who will be their #1 quarterback coming out of summer practice. They probably wont decide before game 1 who will be the starter out of a group consisting of Quinten Dormady(Junior),Jarrett Quarantano(RS Freshman),Sheriron Jones(Sophomore) and Will McBride(True Freshman) out of fear that one or more of them may transfer.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He wouldn't have loved the 1965 game in Knoxville that Tennessee won 21-7;)
Ah yes 66
The vols are a cheap imitation of the burnt orange "The University of Texas". The UTexas folks are so look down their nose they kept the U of H out if the big 12 and almost collapsed the conference. U Tenn has done nothing since majors and manning.

Was back in texas last week and the buzz is that Texas hired the good U H coach so head of board of regents ( Tillman F -Golden nugget owner hired Major Applewhite -a Texas legend). This could be hillariius.
The ut and texas folks are elitists of their conference. U of ala is the real deal but u Tenn folks look down on them.

Let's get this game pumped up -I want to hear -"they can't stop this " again and lets give them a dose reality.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Ah yes 66
The vols are a cheap imitation of the burnt orange "The University of Texas". The UTexas folks are so look down their nose they kept the U of H out if the big 12 and almost collapsed the conference. U Tenn has done nothing since majors and manning.

Was back in texas last week and the buzz is that Texas hired the good U H coach so head od board of regents ( Tillman F -Golden nugget hired Major Applewhite -a Texas legend. The ut and texas folks are elitists of their conference

Let's get this game pumped up -I want to hear -"they can't stop this " again and lets give them a dose reality.
The Tennessee fans are scared that their defensive line that was ko'ed in 2016 will be ko'ed again for 2017:eek: I think Texas is very overrated going into 2017 and at best will probably be 7-5.;)

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think our boys have this game circled and should be fired up about a prime time game against an SEC "Powerhouse"... I can't see UT coming with the same focus and intensity playing against an ACC school with a high school offense. They might make plays early on D with there speed and athleticism but I can't see them being locked in or well coached to bring it for 4 qtrs.