Tennessee Game 1

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Every ACC member licked their chops against Syracuse, BC, and UVA last year. Same for big10 with Rutgers, Illinois, Maryland and Purdue. And the SEC? Vandy, Kentucky and UGA?

VT had 3 losses last year outside of the ACCCG: Tennessee, GT and.... Syracuse. Granted, VT beat a middling team in Arkansas, but that's nothing compared to the week in, week out grind of the ACC where teams from the bottom of the conference can beat you any given Saturday.

Am I doing this right? ;)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
VT had 3 losses last year outside of the ACCCG: Tennessee, GT and.... Syracuse. Granted, VT beat a middling team in Arkansas, but that's nothing compared to the week in, week out grind of the ACC where teams from the bottom of the conference can beat you any given Saturday.

You're doing it right, but I'm going to ignore that.

I rewatched those vpi games, and I think the case can be made that they lost them more than that the other teams beat them.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'll offer my top 3 conferences in order based on their 4 weakest teams.
1: Ole Miss, Vandy, Mizzou, Kentucky
2: Virginia, Syracuse, BC, Wake
3: Rutgers, Purdue, Maryland, Illinois.
feel free to determine your own bottom dwellers, but I feel the SEC's worst would have a better overall record against the other bottom dwellers head to head. The conversation is interesting due to Clemson and FSU, but the battle has been determined amongst the middle tier teams. SEC & ACC actually have very competitive middle teams and that's where I look in head to head. Where ACC is probably ahead

Anybody who can ignore the head-to head records between the top conferences, where the ACC was 12-5 against the SEC last year (regular season and bowl) is dreaming up some unusual ways to hold on to the theory of SEC superiority.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree and we didn't even beat candy or usce so no room to talk but I don't hear any claims of UT being Big10 west champions bc of beating Iowa northwestern and Nebraska. Why not?
Because the Big 10 West had Wisconsin, an 11 win team that was 10 points from being undefeated in the regular season. The SEC East had...Florida, a team that got trounced by FSU and Arkansas. Of course there was also Georgia, Vandy and UK, who we beat. South Carolina, who was terrible. Tennessee, who according to their fans could barely field a team because of injuries by the end of the year and got run out of the stadium by Vandy didn't pose a threat either. The reason you hear SEC East Champs of 2016 from GT is because its very conceivable, if not likely, that GT would have won the SEC East last year depending on who they would have drawn for their cross-divisional games. It is also extremely likely that Tennessee would have gotten stomped by Wisconsin.

All of that only has to do with 2016 speculation and has nothing to do with the 2017 teams of course.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Because the Big 10 West had Wisconsin, an 11 win team that was 10 points from being undefeated in the regular season. The SEC East had...Florida, a team that got trounced by FSU and Arkansas. Of course there was also Georgia, Vandy and UK, who we beat. South Carolina, who was terrible. Tennessee, who according to their fans could barely field a team because of injuries by the end of the year and got run out of the stadium by Vandy didn't pose a threat either. The reason you hear SEC East Champs of 2016 from GT is because its very conceivable, if not likely, that GT would have won the SEC East last year depending on who they would have drawn for their cross-divisional games. It is also extremely likely that Tennessee would have gotten stomped by Wisconsin.

All of that only has to do with 2016 speculation and has nothing to do with the 2017 teams of course.
I think the whole thing comes from the fact that UGA claimed to be ACC champions in 2009 because they beat us.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
proxy.php

proxy.php

https://forums.rivals.com/threads/1997-vols-pre-fall-pic-vs-2017.747770/

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Arkansas didn't beat a single P5 team that finished with a winning record.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
UT has two guys that will more than likely start at DT. One is a 5 star recruit, who hasn't put it all together yet (from UT fan) he's a big strong guy but lacks "get off" he is also coming off of surgery as well. The other DT was a 3 star (we all know that doesn't mean much) he had a decent year last year and is around 6'3 295. Their best DT might not play because of injury his name is Tuttle. They also have a DE that had off season shoulder surgery. from what UT fans have told me, their CB's are their weakness. They have some pretty atheletic LB's but some think the older more seasoned LB's might start because they know the system better, those guys are not as fast and athletic.

Imo if Tuttle can not play, and the less athletic LB's start, we should have a good game with Mills up the middle (not saying we will have a bad game if Tuttle play and the other LB's play). For us to win I think Mills will be a big part In doing so.