Temple

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Probably a lot of truth to this statement...
"probably don't want to play us" I see this statement posted a lot on Tech boards. The reason some schools don't want to play us is that it takes too much practice time to get ready for the TO. It's not because they are afraid to play Tech. Easier to play a conventional offense that most teams run. JMO.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
"probably don't want to play us" I see this statement posted a lot on Tech boards. The reason some schools don't want to play us is that it takes too much practice time to get ready for the TO. It's not because they are afraid to play Tech.

They are afraid to play Tech specifically because it is hard to prepare for. You contradict yourself.

Easier to play a conventional offense that most teams run
Right...which would indicate it's harder to play against tech...

GTFLETCH

Banned
You guys are funny man. You think you just pick up the phone, call Texas and say, "hey, we want to play you guys in a home and home," and they say, "hell yeah, when can we do it?!?!"

Big schools don't want to play teams that can beat them and ruin their title hopes (ok, Texas was a bad choice). Hell, Auburn refused to play us a few years back, and we've played them more than anyone but Georgia.

I'm ok with any FBS team, period. FCS teams is where I start to get upset. We should never play them, and neither should ANYONE in FBS. There's enough teams up here to fill a schedule with competitive games rather than dog and pony shows where we beat those guys by 60+ points.
Spot On... I am so glad we did not schedule two FCS school is 2019, that was going to be an option unless we signed a home and home with Temple... Tulane punked out

GTFLETCH

Banned
This should have been a 2 for 1. Anyone outside of P5 should have to commit to 2 games at Tech if they want a home game.
Maybe, however 2 for 1 are usually for schools who can pay Big money...Like Ohio State paid Tulane 1 Million... We usually only pay our FCS teams 400K, not because we do not love them, but because our budget is pretty low compared to the other schools...Not sure if you noticed but we do not schedule home and home with the Sunbelt teams....

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck

Pretty sure this is due to schedule balancing (having the right number of home games). We needed a roady in 2019 since we've got 3 OOC home games in 2019 (USF, Citadel, and UGA). Are we moving towards 2 Group of 5 games a year (other than ND years)? I know AAC is slightly a tier above, but not that much above Group of 5?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I think all these teams planning to play us at home first, then away, all plan to punk out like Tulane did. :cigar:
Funny that you typed that. I was thinking the same thing and almost typed it up myself a few minutes ago. I would not be surprised. Hope there is a hefty buy out if that happens.

Animal02

Banned
Maybe, however 2 for 1 are usually for schools who can pay Big money...Like Ohio State paid Tulane 1 Million... We usually only pay our FCS teams 400K, not because we do not love them, but because our budget is pretty low compared to the other schools...Not sure if you noticed but we do not schedule home and home with the Sunbelt teams....
OSU is playing Tulane one game at OSU. (according tohttp://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-ten/ohio-state-buckeyes.php) .......thus the payout. 2 for 1 should be able to be negotiated. Having 7 home games a year is a big financial boost.

GTFLETCH

Banned
OSU is playing Tulane one game at OSU. (according tohttp://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-ten/ohio-state-buckeyes.php) .......thus the payout. 2 for 1 should be able to be negotiated. Having 7 home games a year is a big financial boost.

I understand your viewpoint. However the reality of the situation is that Georgia Tech was not able to get a 2 for 1 deal vs Tulane, USF, or UCF...Or any AAC or old Big East School..

Also to get into the Chick-Fil-A kickoff game vs Tennessee we had to agree to basketball series with Ten. We simply are not Alabama or Ohio State. (I am ok with it) I am happy that we do not have to play two FCS teams in 2019. ( we have had to do that twice since 2008)

I am 100 percent positive that Georgia Tech is scheduling series that make financial sense for the program, students and season ticket holders.

Last edited:

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
No, you specifically said D3 players. The map is D1 only......try to spin it all you want, you were wrong. And once again.....how many 5 star kids has Tech signed in the last decade? You cherry picked a stat to try to prove your claim, and failed miserably.

Actually you insinuated that my claim of it not being a goldmine was wrong by posting a map that only showed total numbers and not talent levels of recruits. Using total numbers is cherry picking when you don't give it context. Sorry for actually wanting real data instead of faking a claim by using irrelevant stats.

Anyways, I don't think we gain anything exposure-wise playing up there considering how bad the recruits are and it isn't really a place I think a lot of fans want an excuse to go to like the Florida schools or Tulane. I understand those home-and-homes from Tech's standpoint. Personally not a fan of Stansbury's call on this one, its a lose-lose in my eyes.

Animal02

Banned
Actually you insinuated that my claim of it not being a goldmine was wrong by posting a map that only showed total numbers and not talent levels of recruits. Using total numbers is cherry picking when you don't give it context. Sorry for actually wanting real data instead of faking a claim by using irrelevant stats.

Anyways, I don't think we gain anything exposure-wise playing up there considering how bad the recruits are and it isn't really a place I think a lot of fans want an excuse to go to like the Florida schools or Tulane. I understand those home-and-homes from Tech's standpoint. Personally not a fan of Stansbury's call on this one, its a lose-lose in my eyes.
Spin all you want, you claim was proven wrong. The Eastern Pa / NJ corridor is a hotbed as proven by the data. Real data is D1 players.....not fake claims of D3........keep deluding yourself.

Animal02

Banned
UGA pays 3.7Million to have 3 OOC home games in 2018...against FCS Austin Peay, Middle Tenn State and UMASS... along with paying UMASS 1.5M, UGA had to agree with home and home bball series with UMASS, to get their Football team to come to Athens...

See Animal02 it could always be worse!!

Link
https://www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/uga-will-pay-3-7-million-non-conference-games-2018
With there seating capacity of 92K+ and a ticket price of $50. and 75% of capacity, that would equal over 10 million. That does not include $$$ parking, concessions etc. That is a win for them.
Tech, with 55k, selling 75% of their seats at $30 seat is still 1.2 million, not including parking, concessions etc. it is always better to have the extra home game.

Animal02

Banned
I understand your viewpoint. However the reality of the situation is that Georgia Tech was not able to get a 2 for 1 deal vs Tulane, USF, or UCF...Or any AAC or old Big East School..

Also to get into the Chick-Fil-A kickoff game vs Tennessee we had to agree to basketball series with Ten. We simply are not Alabama or Ohio State. (I am ok with it) I am happy that we do not have to play two FCS teams in 2019. ( we have had to do that twice since 2008)

I am 100 percent positive that Georgia Tech is scheduling series that make financial sense for the program, students and season ticket holders.
There are plenty of schools out there that could be signed to 2-1 having the extra game each year, even at 75% capacity is a lot of $$$$.

GTFLETCH

Banned
There are plenty of schools out there that could be signed to 2-1 having the extra game each year, even at 75% capacity is a lot of $$$$.

Really... than why is it not happing and why are basketball games being tied to football contracts before teams sign 2 for 1s???

Again I see your viewpoint, but I do not think it is as easy as signing them up or more teams would be doing it...