Tell me this isn't true - Byerly injury

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When he was in at ab, he made some tough yards after contact. Seems like a tough strong runner. I think he would do ok for whole game against mid level teams. .
Wait till Thursday afternoon to see what's the deal with Tim.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why does everyone keep saying "when" JT goes out?

I keep saying "when JT goes out" since every starting QB we have had has had to be backed up.

JN, Vad, TW. Even JT was dinged up last year and not running very well after the fluke assault. Being a D1 QB means you will get hit and dinged up. Sometimes only for a few series or sometimes for the season.

That's why I always want to take every opportunity to get the back up in. I caught a lot of flack for it when TW was QB and when Vad was QB. And in hindsight we would have been better backing them up more (IMHO). And I'll keep saying it until we have a Superman QB without the Kryptonite weakness. And that QB has never existed at any level of football.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
He can run it but he is nowhere near as effective as JT. He is a tough runner and will put his head down and pile drive a defender. It is reading and pitching that give him the biggest challenge. He has a good arm and can throw pretty well. He probably could develop into a solid option QB with a couple of years work. I think with JT here two more years, the coaches just did not want to waste those years with Matthew holding a clip board. Things change and he may move back full time if certain scenarios play out. He has some solid potential to play QB.

Go Jackets!

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I keep saying "when JT goes out" since every starting QB we have had has had to be backed up.

JN, Vad, TW. Even JT was dinged up last year and not running very well after the fluke assault. Being a D1 QB means you will get hit and dinged up. Sometimes only for a few series or sometimes for the season.

That's why I always want to take every opportunity to get the back up in. I caught a lot of flack for it when TW was QB and when Vad was QB. And in hindsight we would have been better backing them up more (IMHO). And I'll keep saying it until we have a Superman QB without the Kryptonite weakness. And that QB has never existed at any level of football.

When did Vad need to get spelled the year he started? Not saying you are wrong, just don't remember SD or whoever (JT?) was backup then getting in the game much.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think some here are short changing Jordan.

Most of what we do in our O depends on a QB being able to run. Check. It also depends on the QB being able to throw accurately every now and then. Check. It also depends on the right reads to the BB. Game experience needed. It also depends on making the right reads on the veer plays and sweeps to the AB. Again, game experience needed.

So what would we have if Matthew came in? Nesbitt in 2008. He is that physically talented. And he would have the same problems Josh had for the first few games that year. His saving grace = unlike Josh, Jordan can actually throw short/medium passes.

Well … let's hope we don't have to develop him on the field at all. We still haven't heard the official word on Tim. That could be bad or good news, depending. If good, yeh! If bad, well, let's hope JT doesn't get hurt. Chances are he won't be.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
As an update, had a class with Tim today. Still has a sleeve and crutches, didn't get a chance to talk to him tho.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck

This post is not true. The only QB who has actually missed time due to injury is the "Warrior" Josh Nesbitt, who couldn't play against Duke, and was pulled some against UGA, then broke his arm.

Tevin played every game unless he was benched BY DESIGN

Vad played every snap unless he was benched BY DESIGN

You could argue that Justin was benched against Duke due to injury, but I think it's more likely that coach benched him due to his ailing ankle causing too drastic a dropoff in on-field performance. IOW if he proved he could play through it on that day he would have, but he wasn't getting it done, so he was removed after the game was more or less out of hand. Then we scored 14 points in like 3 minutes and suddenly the game was a game again.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This post is not true. The only QB who has actually missed time due to injury is the "Warrior" Josh Nesbitt, who couldn't play against Duke, and was pulled some against UGA, then broke his arm.

Tevin played every game unless he was benched BY DESIGN

Vad played every snap unless he was benched BY DESIGN

You could argue that Justin was benched against Duke due to injury, but I think it's more likely that coach benched him due to his ailing ankle causing too drastic a dropoff in on-field performance. IOW if he proved he could play through it on that day he would have, but he wasn't getting it done, so he was removed after the game was more or less out of hand. Then we scored 14 points in like 3 minutes and suddenly the game was a game again.

"The truth is an elusive thing." ;) When I posted this, I was (and am) thinking the following:

JN - Beat up and barely able to walk but continuing to play with a limp and then of course breaking his arm. He was pulled for several series in the UGAg game after two UGAg players pulled on his legs in the pile.

Vad - 2013 getting beatup so bad in games that he could barely walk at the end. Taking the hit in the UNC game (as I recall) that took him out of the game for a while and, more importantly, seemed to forever make him a more tentative QB for us. I agree that Vad may have started every game, but others played a lot of snaps since Vad just got wore out. Here are the games that JT played in 2013, and you are right that it wasn't a lot. http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/player/255/1047228/rushing/gamelog.html

TW - He was dinged up a lot and Vad was seen as the future. Here's how the games and passing for Vad in the 2012 season: http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/255/1039471/passing/gamelog.html

JT - as you mentioned, he had the bad ankle which coincided with him Byerly going in. CPJ is the one who could say why for sure and I doubt he'll talk. JT wasn't full speed for the last half the season until he had the month "off" before the Orange Bowl.

So I expect JT to either get hurt so he can't start or dinged up to the extent he has to be pulled. It's just part of the game to get dinged up and sometimes more, especially when you run the ball into the teeth of the D. (Passing QBs have their own injury problems when they get sacked.) The point at which he would be pulled will depend on how effective the back-up QB is (IMHO). With Byerly out for an indeterminate time, I think JT stays in longer than he would with Byerly as the backup. So to me, losing Byerly is a big deal becasue he would have (or will be called upon) this year most likely.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

When would you put the back up in? When the game is still in doubt? You could lose the game. When the game is well in hand? We already do this. When the starter is hurt? We already do this. When the starter has lost control of the game? We already do this.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I've seen people walk with crutches, then again I have seen people walk with crutches. Which was it?
I had to rush to my next class, so I didnt see him walk with it, he did't seem like he was putting a lot of weight on it during class tho if that means anything.