Tell me this isn't true - Byerly injury

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Tim probably never realized how popular he was until he got hurt. I hope he makes a speedy recovery. He was a fun player to watch. I guess we will find out who the new number 2 QB is on Thursday.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I never carried on much about Byerly in the past on this site but I have to say he is one of my favorite players. I was really looking forward to seeing him do some platooning with JT. This would have kept JT fresh and sharp all season and it also would have given defenses a different kind of athlete to worry about.

Hate this for Byerly and hate it for the team.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well he will most likely come out vs Tulane :D I'm guessing not until the 3rd qtr. But it could be sooner depending on the score :)
Good golly I hope he comes out very early against Tulane. I would love to see the other quarterbacks get as much work as possible right now.

This whole situation gives me the he-bee gee-bees.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think all this is probably true, but confirmation always makes me more receptive. I understand HIPAA bars the staff from saying anything about Tim's health without his or his parents approval. They probably want to wait until whatever diagnosis is final. Even if it is simply a minor ACL injury, he will not be playing Saturday. I imagine we will be seeing Jordan at backup if Tim's injury is minor and Campbell if it's major.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Remember earlier in the offseason when some posters were trying to convince us all that we should move Byerly to BB? Good times, that offseason.

Skov had not yet transferred, Marcus Allen had not shown himself capable in the spring game, and freshmen were not on campus yet.

Just sayin'.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Why does everyone keep saying "when" JT goes out?
It's kinda like the guy on the high wire never thinking about falling until they take away the safety net.

I will say this about TB, that performance in the Duke game says enough about his ability to move the offense and score points. If I had to rank each qb on a scale of 1 - 10, JT be up around a 9.5 and TB at about an 8. Everybody else no higher than a 6 and most way below that.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Skov had not yet transferred, Marcus Allen had not shown himself capable in the spring game, and freshmen were not on campus yet.

Just sayin'.
Oh I know, just think it's a little comical (obviously not the injury to Tim, I feel just awful for him) that people were ready to move him and downplaying the backup QB position, but now that he's apparently gone it's all doom and gloom.
Also, back then Leggett and Quaide hadn't been hurt yet either (both were on campus).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Oh I know, just think it's a little comical (obviously not the injury to Tim, I feel just awful for him) that people were ready to move him and downplaying the backup QB position, but now that he's apparently gone it's all doom and gloom.
Also, back then Leggett and Quaide hadn't been hurt yet either (both were on campus).
I had forgotten about those two. We lost almost all our backs with experience, then have three key guys go down early.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I love Byerly and it really hurts that he won't be the backup. But, I do want to just point out that after Byerly we tend to only see the other QBs playing with 2nd and 3rd tier offensive lines and backs. My point is that if CPJ puts Jordan, Martensen or whomever in but behind the first team offense then we may find out that, while not as polished as Byerly, these guys look a lot better running the offense as backup then we would have imagined.

Teaching to a system.

We did get to see a few minutes of Martensen with the first team late in the Spring Game and he moved the team down the field very well. And he can make "reads". I agree that we really have not seen much of the backups with good blocking so we do not know much. We have a lot of plays not requiring a post snap "read" (70-80% according to CPJ) so as long as the backup is in the game only temporarily we should be productive.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Hate this for TB - his name should be listed under the definition of team player. One immediate negative impact is that we will have to spend more time getting JT's backup ready during practice - subtracting from specific game plans.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is a huge loss for the program this year. Timmy is an experienced hand and you could see the chemistry and confidence JeT had with him. Knowing Timmy was waiting in the wings to pick things up where we left off allowed everyone in the program to give JeT a spell whenever needed. CPJ pulled him for a few series last year to coach him up and teach him something and knowing TB was in the game was a comfort.

Not saying the next guy up won't be good as well - but it's ridiculous to say that we won't feel the impact of this.

Hope you have a speedy and healthy recovery TB!