Ted Roof

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Just a sucky year all around, but there's still time to beat VT, Miami, and Uga. And I can tell you that if on September 1 you'd have guaranteed me wins against those three plus FSU, I would have taken it. Let's hope that happens.

One more win makes it all go away...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Except that we have been forcing stops. We've gotten off the field plenty of times just to get back on it. Almost every defensive stat has improved this year. We are stopping people on third down. Our scoring average is down. We are allowing less yards per game. We just can't seal the deal because the offense keeps letting us down. How many of the scores given up this year have been on short field turnovers? A lot. You can't win that way, and IMO, it only serves to make the D look worse than it actually is.

Last year, we allowed on average 4.8 yds/carry against Pwr5 opponents. This year we allow 5.07. So, in that category we've gone from #75 to #90. We have improved in pass defense vs pwr5 opponents since last year we allowed 8.4 yards/pass against pwr 5, and this year 6.7 yards/pass. However that's an improvement from #116 to #59.

According to footballoutsiders, we were the #76 Defense last year in DFEI and the #76 Defense this year in DFEI. That stat takes into account starting field position and strength of schedule. In their Defensive S&P we've gone from #54, 26.7, to #65, 28.2 (lower is better).

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/auburn/2010.html

Many have stated if we were just an average defense to give the CPJ offense a chance to out score the opposition. CTR had the 53rd out of 120th defense with the 9th toughest schedule out of 120 teams. True that Newton was dynamic, however
if you limit the opponent to three scores-you give that high profile offense a chance to win every game.

Again I state that we have scored 30 or more 3 times this season(same amount of wins that GT has). Alcorn St., Tulane and a sad, sad,sad, UNCheat Defense.

Take special team disasters and all of the turnovers gifted out, and we have been average on defense or at least comparable to last year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Let me be clear about my point since it is in danger of being missed in the mess.

I'm not saying that Roof is a bad DC. I don't feel qualified to pass judgment on scheme etc as @33jacket has done or to say whether or not he's right. I think Roof's D at Penn St was pretty darn good, especially against the run. Personally, I suspect that Roof's scheme of preference is more dependent on personnel so that our lack of personnel gets exploited. I also wonder why maintaining assignment discipline has become so hard for us. However, I'm ambivalent about Roof. I can get different stories from the stats.

My only point in this thread has simply been that the stats don't support the tendency of some to blame the offense for poor D. I've shown evidence of BC and Northwestern this year, and probably could provide data from VPI and UVA last year, where teams can still field a good D with a bad and even really bad O.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
CM,

it will interesting to see what you think after next yr when he won't have SIX SRS and 2 JRs playing on DEF-- THIS should have been his big yr to carry team,we knew OFF would struggle,the OFFhas been carrying the DEF for yrs with high scoring and TOP.
Makes me wonder if we will........ever have a defense that is just average not great just average.PJ has it seems little interest on the D side of the ball and we have watched his offense become our best weapon defense wise with Death Marches ...this year we are not doing much of a march and our defense has not shown up when we needed them...I think its more talent than coaching

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Charlie Kelly. Roof was hired to be in position to ascend to the top job, because CPJ was tettering on the precipice. Then 2014 happened. Now what do you do with him?
Sounds reasonable to me..he is a very popular guy with the alums and sidewalk fans...........we have tried this at least three times before ..Curry Rodgers and Bill Fulcher............course the parachute contract is too heavy to buy out ......stay tuned sport fans.

bigtechfan67

Jolly Good Fellow
I like him cause he played here and knows what it takes to be a student athlete here also. He has the personality to be a good recruiter as well. I hope we give the guy a few more seasons to get his recruits playing before we pass judgement on him.
I think he's great for recruiting but the last two years have been bad. Taking and scheme can be taught its not being much better, except fsu

bigtechfan67

Jolly Good Fellow
Kallon was a 4star IIRC... not knocking you, just a reminder that star ratings do not guarantee instant success.
Only on attributes I think he only play football for a year or two, so he is athletic but had no understanding of the game. 6'4 280 4.75 or something speed

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Makes me wonder if we will........ever have a defense that is just average not great just average.PJ has it seems little interest on the D side of the ball and we have watched his offense become our best weapon defense wise with Death Marches ...this year we are not doing much of a march and our defense has not shown up when we needed them...I think its more talent than coaching
I don't think that is a true statement to say CPJ has little interest in the D.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Football is (and always has been) a pretty simple game of blocking and tackling. Blocking and tackling starts with the lines of scrimmage. Our LOS on both sides of the ball have sucked this year. Our defensive LOS has sucked for...a long time.

Need to be better along the LOS. If that's athletic ability, then we need that. If there's a way to "coach 'em up" then we need that. Not sure I know what is missing, but it is so plain to see the weakness that it is silly to talk about much else (on both sides of the ball). A good safety and a good LB are starters, but you surely better have a good DT and a good DE as well. Our DE's are VERY small, and without Gotsis, our DT's...are best not spoken of.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Dline.....Dline.....Dline

In particular DTs.....DTs....DTs.....

I hate to be a broken record but that will determine the level of our success to a large degree.
Yep. This is the biggest challenge, because they're the rarest commodity in the game. I think the solution could be to allocate an additional scholarship or two to that position, recognizing that you might be more exposed elsewhere but accepting that as the price doing business as that would increase the margin for error. If we could limit the ability of teams to run on us and improve the pass rush incrementally, we'd be a lot better off (though I remain convinced we aren't far away).

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Yep. This is the biggest challenge, because they're the rarest commodity in the game. I think the solution could be to allocate an additional scholarship or two to that position, recognizing that you might be more exposed elsewhere but accepting that as the price doing business as that would increase the margin for error. If we could limit the ability of teams to run on us and improve the pass rush incrementally, we'd be a lot better off (though I remain convinced we aren't far away).
problem is there just aren't that many dline on the "fbs level" like there are WR and RB

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Keep hearing about lack of talent on def. got a Coupla names for ya AJ Gray and Brandt Mitchell. Gatorade players of the year for their states respectively.

Those guys certainly are a huge step up but we need some guys on the line that are a step up likewise. Not necessarily POY guys but at least significant steps up.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
to each his own but .......watch him on the sidelines.....

I think he'd prefer to not to have to think about the D because he is the OC and he's got to think about in-game adjustments and not coaching defense.

Other thing is his teams at Georgia Southern had great defenses. Not so much at Navy due to recruiting limitations. IMO our under Johnson on the defensive side (Groh aside) has been recruiting-based with D-line front and center. Generally we get good DBs and usually have decent to good LBs. But if your line can't get pressure on the QB and disrupt/occupy blockers it doesn't matter who your LBs & DBs are.

I do think Cerge-Henderson, Glanton, & St. Amour are a good start but we need more.

Just my $.02.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
The d line is where the sec schools excell. They pretty get the cream of the crop here in the south. Clemson and FSU do pretty good but most people would say there more like an sec school anyway. Mr Tomlinson. Made a few play last night for bama. If only we could have landed him!