Ted Roof to Vanderbilt?

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Man I’d love to coach but how in the world can the family handle all the moving ?

Tough on them

CPJ commented on that once. The coaches’ families have to make a lot of sacrifices and moving every few years is one of them.

From what I can see, you either learn to adapt, divorce, or the coach goes into a different line of work.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
To add a few points:

—Dude is an empty nester at this point, so moving around is less of a big deal.

—His familiarity with recruiting Georgia and recruiting kids to places where academics are important (Duke, GT) no doubt figure into this hiring. Also just familiarity with the Southeast in general.

—Has SEC DC experience at Auburn

Dunno if he succeeds at Vandy. Seemed to do well at App St, Penn St., MN, but also middling to bad at GT, Auburn, & Duke. Hope he succeeds (except recruiting against us).

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
All the best to Coach Roof. Great Tech letterman and great individual.

I chatted with him after the All American bowl. He had that cut on the nose that defensive players got when the helmet came down on it. He was a great player in his day.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Dunno if he succeeds at Vandy. Seemed to do well at App St, Penn St., MN, but also middling to bad at GT, Auburn, & Duke. Hope he succeeds (except recruiting against us).

app st. 1 year
Penn state. 1 year
Minnesota. 1 year

But where he has been more than one, you be the judge. Trend.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Say what you will, the man keeps getting jobs.
apparently it is like the NFL or MLB. The first job is the hardest but after that, one has "experience" and slides right in. There is a reason Belichick keeps winning at New England: he makes his own decisions, renders his own judgment, chooses his own players and tells the rest of the league to continue with its group think mediocrity. So it is that Jerry Jones is looking for a coach with loads and loads of NFL experience. Gotta know how to keep losing.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I think Ted Roof will be a prime candidate for the Vanderbilt head football coach job in December when Derek Mason is fired after Vanderbilt finishes 1-11. Vanderbilt lost what few playmakers they had on offense and will be very lucky to win 1 game.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
app st. 1 year
Penn state. 1 year
Minnesota. 1 year

But where he has been more than one, you be the judge. Trend.

Actually his last 2 years at GT under O'Leary he had good defenses, and one year was nominated for Broyles asst of year award.

Nobody wants to remember it or gives
him credit for it because of his 1st yr as DC when we had the 100th ranked D and first ranked O. Nor does anyone realize the year before he took over the D it was ranked 88th.

Not saying he is a good DC, but he did turn around GTs defense in last two years of 1st stint here. So at one of 3 longer stints he was successful.

Ergo my opinion he has been a mixed bag.

Glad we have Collins/Thacker now. They seem to be getting better DL prospects and IMO run a more modern scheme. Roof never able to heat up the kitchen.

Last edited:

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I think Ted Roof will be a prime candidate for the Vanderbilt head football coach job in December when Derek Mason is fired after Vanderbilt finishes 1-11. Vanderbilt lost what few playmakers they had on offense and will be very lucky to win 1 game.

You may be right about Derek Mason, but I’d be surprised if TD gets another shot at a P5 head coaching position. Of course, I’ve been surprised so many times before that it shouldn’t surprise me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
You may be right about Derek Mason, but I’d be surprised if TD gets another shot at a P5 head coaching position. Of course, I’ve been surprised so many times before that it shouldn’t surprise me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ted Roof will have a good shot at being hired by Vanderbilt because they will try to get by with a bargain basement hire on the cheap:cigar:

pelliott

Georgia Tech Fan
Not sure if we watched the same guy. He looked good in limited action as a true freshman. And had 39 tackles as a Sophomore in the big 10.
I think he is a P5 linebacker. I know someone close to him who played football with him at Buford, who said if he was 2 inches taller he would be a top 10 LB coming out of high school.