Ted Roof to Vanderbilt?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Perfect hire. It’s crazy how many people think Teams running triple option because of lack of talent is a good idea but same ones got mad because Roofs defense hid the lack of Talent. He’s not the most aggressive, but his scheme is perfect for places like Vandy and here and Duke etc.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Perfect hire. It’s crazy how many people think Teams running triple option because of lack of talent is a good idea but same ones got mad because Roofs defense hid the lack of Talent. He’s not the most aggressive, but his scheme is perfect for places like Vandy and here and Duke etc.

I have no desire to trash Ted, but I dunno what you base this take on. If his defenses hid the lack of talent, then we had no talent at all, I guess.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Vandy isnt a great job, but it is P5 and surely more money than App St. Roof is a journeyman coordinator at this point just like Gailey. Can get jobs as long as he wants to do it.
1 million a year to be DC isn’t a bad job anywhere. It’s not like expectations will be high there

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
With Roof’s move to Vandy, it seems possible that Nate Woody could go back and take the vacant DC job at Appalachian State.

Wouldn’t that be interesting.

Oops, an edit here. I forgot Woody just recently took the DC job at Army.

Forget my post.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have no desire to trash Ted, but I dunno what you base this take on. If his defenses hid the lack of talent, then we had no talent at all, I guess.

He had very, very little talent in comparison to other P5 schools and some G5 schools. His philosophy of bend and bend and bend, but hope for an offensive error is something that bodes well for a team with no size or speed in the front 7. I appreciate Ted Roof, and I always will. I am fine with those that don't like the way he called the D - that is fine. But, he is a former GT student athlete that gave his blood and guts for GT..... Like I said, I appreciate him.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
His defense was as soft as it could get running Cover 3 pretty much the entire game with the CBs 10 yards from LOS. It’s pretty much a defense that lives and dies on keeping the play in front of you and making open field tackles. For coaches to blitz 5-6 people a play you need the talent to cover to WR with man Coverage or the LBs that can make plays in Zone Blitz. Tech very rarely could do that. Ted did a good job “bending but not breaking” like they used to say.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
How has TD done at his various stops? I thought he was gonna be a star for us based on his freshman year and was disappointed when he transferred, though obviously I understand why.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
His defense was as soft as it could get running Cover 3 pretty much the entire game with the CBs 10 yards from LOS. It’s pretty much a defense that lives and dies on keeping the play in front of you and making open field tackles. For coaches to blitz 5-6 people a play you need the talent to cover to WR with man Coverage or the LBs that can make plays in Zone Blitz. Tech very rarely could do that. Ted did a good job “bending but not breaking” like they used to say.

Ted did do a good job at bending but not breaking but on the occasions that he did bend to much or break it was at emotionally pivotal moments like allowing a score just before half after we took the lead or changed mow on the previous drive. Then sometimes as a result of constant bending we gave up 45 points.

His coaching style is nothing like his playing style, one was passive the other aggressive, that’s what always confused me about him.

Very nice guy personally though

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Defense has had many starters as 4 stars at Tech for a while. He also had some crazy good players at Auburn while he was DC there and again put together some average to below average defenses. Way to go starting the same stupid argument, troll level stuff here.

slugboy

Staff member
1 million a year to be DC isn’t a bad job anywhere. It’s not like expectations will be high there

For $1 million, there will be expectations. You can’t spend that much in salary without them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
With Roof’s move to Vandy, it seems possible that Nate Woody could go back and take the vacant DC job at Appalachian State.

Wouldn’t that be interesting.

Oops, an edit here. I forgot Woody just recently took the DC job at Army.

Forget my post.
What post?!?!?

GTFLETCH

Banned
He was the best DC in the Paul Johnson Era and it isn't even close.... Nuff said