Tech's still way live for the CFP, don't let anyone tell you otherwise

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
yeah I have to agree with beernutts. Even though the ACC is actually better than the big 10, the committee is biased. The rankings from 15-25 are a shame.
I second that notion. No way they vote us in. Just the perception of the ACC right now. We need more big time OOC wins. Not just FSU beating good teams. We need the VTs, UNCs, Miamis, GTs to make hay when given the chance.

yeah I have to agree with beernutts. Even though the ACC is actually better than the big 10, the committee is biased. The rankings from 15-25 are a shame.
More TV's in the Big Ten footprint than the ACC, and that's the driving force for all of this, unfortunately. Not that all those TV's get turned on to watch Illinois v. Iowa, but they might to see Ohio State versus Oregon.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I know we all hate the Mutts... but you have to be honest at times. Id rather Mizzou win the SEC East, than giving UGag the opportunity to win the SECCG and get into the playoff and get lucky... like we all know they do. I hate UGagwith my entire being... but they have an almost unstoppable run game. We of all people should know what a good run game can do for you. I dont think us beating UGag and FSU would bump us up enough even with every other team in front of us losing and all of the teams we beat winning their conference championship. Its all fixed guys... the sooner we understand that.. the.better off we are.

I know we all hate the Mutts... but you have to be honest at times. Id rather Mizzou win the SEC East, than giving UGag the opportunity to win the SECCG and get into the playoff and get lucky... like we all know they do. I hate UGagwith my entire being... but they have an almost unstoppable run game. We of all people should know what a good run game can do for you. I dont think us beating UGag and FSU would bump us up enough even with every other team in front of us losing and all of the teams we beat winning their conference championship. Its all fixed guys... the sooner we understand that.. the.better off we are.
Who is pulling for Georgia to get to the SECCG? Not I.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
My hope is that if we can beat UGA from the vaunted SEC, we will get some respect.

Scoff.

Allow me to represent the playoff committee in this scenario. If Tech beats UGa, then Tech must be pretty good. The more we win by, the better we must be. You with me so far? Great, let's continue. If Tech beats the absolute snot out of UGa, then the result of that would be that UGa will have more quality losses than we do and, therefore, deserve to be ranked higher than us.

You know, before the playoff committee this season, I can't say I have ever heard the term "quality loss." This term is widely used to justify propping up teams from the SEC in the playoff ranking.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
In Ken's scenario, if Ohio State were to win the B1g and UGA were to win the SEC, the ACC would have beaten the conference champs of the following conferences:
Pac XII: BC > USC
B1G: VPI > Ohio State
SEC: GT > UGA
American: Miami > Cincy
MAC: VPI > Western Mich
Sun Belt: GT and NC State > GA Southern

BerryGT

Georgia Tech Fan

Anybody thinking about pulling for georgie to go to the SEC CG, should just think about a couple years ago when they were just a few yards short of upsetting a better Alabama team and playing ND for the MNC, which they definitely could have won. That was too close a call. I don't want them to have even an outside chance of making it.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Scoff.

Allow me to represent the playoff committee in this scenario. If Tech beats UGa, then Tech must be pretty good. The more we win by, the better we must be. You with me so far? Great, let's continue. If Tech beats the absolute snot out of UGa, then the result of that would be that UGa will have more quality losses than we do and, therefore, deserve to be ranked higher than us.

You know, before the playoff committee this season, I can't say I have ever heard the term "quality loss." This term is widely used to justify propping up teams from the SEC in the playoff ranking.
This sounds a lot like conformation bias. So, since UNC beat the tar out of Duke, is that a quality loss?

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Thinking about this more, it may be a detriment that we do not play this week. Looking back over the year, it doesn't seem like teams in bye weeks do anything but hover in place regardless of what happens.

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
I am, as long as we beat them. I would love it if we beat UGA, they get into the SEC CG and beat Alabama, and don't go to the playoff. Icing on the cake would be us winning the ACC. I don't thing the selection committee will put UGA into the playoff if they have 3 losses. Not even if they win the SEC.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
If we beat jorja and you don't pull for them in the seccg then you are a uga hater as opposed to a GT fan.

This should go without saying but national championships > rivalries.

A slim chance is still a chance.

iggymcfly

Georgia Tech Fan
Teams we're competing with and their chances of beating us out for a playoff spot if we win out:

Big XII champion- 97%: This would be the hardest spot to take away as our best-case scenario is that we're competing with 2-loss Kansas State, and they would stand a very good chance of beating us out even if they're the representative.
Alabama- 93%: Easiest way for Alabama to miss out is Auburn win over Bama, Arkansas win over Ole Miss, and Ole Miss win over Mississippi State letting Alabama win the division with 2 losses before losing again in the SEC championship. With only 2 losses for Bama, it would be tough, but could still happen if we beat Georgia convincingly and then Georgia beats Bama convincingly the following week.
Pac XII champion- 90%: First thing we need is an Arizona State loss. Then either a USC win over UCLA or a Stanford win over UCLA and a Utah win over Arizona. This gets a 3-loss team in the conference championship game. Then after all that, they still need to beat Oregon
Mississippi/Miss State- 67%: Mississippi State has to lose for us to get in. Then, we either need Ole Miss to lose to Arkansas this week or for Georgia to win the SEC so that our H2H win gives us enough credibility to beat out a 2-loss Ole Miss.
Ohio State- 60%: Pretty simple here. If the Buckeyes win out, we're screwed. If they lose either to Michigan or in the Big Ten championship, we're good.
Florida State- 50%: Very difficult to figure how the committee would weight the extra loss vs. the H2H and conference championship if Tech's 11-2 and FSU's 12-1. My guess is that we'd need to win by at least 10 points, maybe more to make it decisive enough to take the spot. Alternately, FSU could lose to BC or Florida.
2nd Big XII team- 45%: If TCU and Baylor both finish with one loss, I think the co-champs would have to get in over Tech. Either need Texas to beat TCU or Kansas State to beat Baylor to avoid this.
Missouri/Wisconsin/Georgia/the field- 7%: Would be very surprised if any of these teams got in over an 11-2 Tech squad, but you never know.

So, it looks like the chances are a little worse than I thought initially. Still not impossible, but probably only 15% or so even if we win out.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
If we beat jorja and you don't pull for them in the seccg then you are a uga hater as opposed to a GT fan.

This should go without saying but national championships > rivalries.

A slim chance is still a chance.

False. We're not getting in. I love the discussion, but we're not.

And you don't understand the zero sum game that is our rivalry with UGAg. Anything that helps them hurts us, and vice versa.

THWG

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
False. We're not getting in. I love the discussion, but we're not.

And you don't understand the zero sum game that is our rivalry with UGAg. Anything that helps them hurts us, and vice versa.

THWG

Well agree to disagree. I think that if uga wins and helps us get into the playoff then that would be good for us and I suppose good for them. So I guess I don't understand the zero sum game.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have no problem with UGAg winning the SEC so long as WE BEAT THEM FIRST! In fact, I hope they do. Then we can claim to be SEC champs (as well as ACC coastal) and they stay at home and watch other teams in the playoff. If we beat the humpers and FSU badly, who knows? I hope to go to the playoff but I refuse to obsess over it. A win over the Mutts and an ACC championship is enough for me.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Assuming we win out:

If USC wins two games, Georgia Tech goes over anyone from the Pac-12.
If GT beats FSU by at least 15, Georgia Tech goes over anyone from the ACC.
If Ohio State loses another game, Georgia Tech goes over anyone from the Big Ten
If Mississippi beats Miss State and Georgia wins the SEC, Georgia Tech goes over every team from the SEC

Do we need help? Yes of course. But it's a legitimate chance. Definitely enough to be rooting hard for USC over UCLA this weekend and (sigh) Tennessee over Missouri to help Georgia win the SEC East.

You're right iggy, we do have a "chance".... it is remote, but the possibility exists. That is more than most can say... I have no idea how many teams have a mathematical chance to make that playoff but sure am proud of our men for earning the right to have a "chance" this year.

I thought we would be a solid team but never thought we would earn the right to have a shot this year... so proud of these guys!!

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
What dont yall understand about the media types believing that the ACC is the worst of the P5 conferences? Have yall not seen FSU continue to drop, even after winning games and staying undefeated? A UGag win over Charleston Southern would be more impressive to the idiots in the CFP committee as us beating Clemson/FSU etc. So even after we beat Ugag and FSU... We still would be ranked below all the other 2 loss teams and possibly some 3 loss teams. Its a sham!!!! When an SEC team wins a conference game... its the best win since sliced bread, regardless of opponent. If they just happen to lose... its ONLY because the SEC is SOOO deep and has no bad teams. Its rigged as hell. No doubt about it. So id have to be out of.my mind to pull for Ugag to win any games they have left.