Tech's still way live for the CFP, don't let anyone tell you otherwise

iggymcfly

Georgia Tech Fan
Assuming we win out:

If USC wins two games, Georgia Tech goes over anyone from the Pac-12.
If GT beats FSU by at least 15, Georgia Tech goes over anyone from the ACC.
If Ohio State loses another game, Georgia Tech goes over anyone from the Big Ten
If Mississippi beats Miss State and Georgia wins the SEC, Georgia Tech goes over every team from the SEC

Do we need help? Yes of course. But it's a legitimate chance. Definitely enough to be rooting hard for USC over UCLA this weekend and (sigh) Tennessee over Missouri to help Georgia win the SEC East.

iggymcfly

Georgia Tech Fan
Well, as huge and as difficult of a game as it will be against the Dawgs, as fans we don't really need to focus on winning the next one first. More like root for the Trojans to do some domino-knocking this week and then we've still got another 6.5 days to get pumped up for Georgie.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Assuming we win out:

If USC wins two games, Georgia Tech goes over anyone from the Pac-12.
If GT beats FSU by at least 15, Georgia Tech goes over anyone from the ACC.
If Ohio State loses another game, Georgia Tech goes over anyone from the Big Ten
If Mississippi beats Miss State and Georgia wins the SEC, Georgia Tech goes over every team from the SEC

Do we need help? Yes of course. But it's a legitimate chance. Definitely enough to be rooting hard for USC over UCLA this weekend and (sigh) Tennessee over Missouri to help Georgia win the SEC East.

I agree.

We've won our last 4 games by an average of 27 points. Let's keep it up.

Rivalry week will be huge. Go GT, FSU, CU, Lvl, Aub, Ole Miss.

beernutts

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm sorry, even if everything happens as you have listed in your post, there's not way those in the CFP committee will pick GT as a top 4 team. Of the 2 loss teams, GT will be at the bottom.

Look, this past week, they moved Utah ahead of GT, after both won, but GT dominated a ranked team, while Utah won in OT over an unranked team.

The committee thinks too little of the ACC and GT, that's just the way it is. I wish it wasn't so.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
yeah I have to agree with beernutts. Even though the ACC is actually better than the big 10, the committee is biased. The rankings from 15-25 are a shame.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm sorry, even if everything happens as you have listed in your post, there's not way those in the CFP committee will pick GT as a top 4 team. Of the 2 loss teams, GT will be at the bottom.

Look, this past week, they moved Utah ahead of GT, after both won, but GT dominated a ranked team, while Utah won in OT over an unranked team.

The committee thinks too little of the ACC and GT, that's just the way it is. I wish it wasn't so.
My hope is that if we can beat UGA from the vaunted SEC, we will get some respect.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not sure where we end up, but if we beat UGA and beat FSU, we are certainly a top 10 team.

Man...I want those two games against Duke and UNC back...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree that there's a bias against the acc, but there's also a bias for the sec. If a 3-loss georgie beats a 2-loss team from the west, it could get interesting.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It might all be a pipe dream, but I've been thinking about this too. When is the last time we were in the National Title picture on Thanksgiving?

Here's the funny part: as much as we all complain (and rightly, I might add) about the new playoff system, if it were not in place, we couldn't even dream of a National Championship. BUT the fact that 4 teams get a chance...well, if UGA and FSU win their remaining games (minus us, of course), and we beat them--we definitely have a shot.

No one thought we would make it this far. Here's to 13-2!

Oh, and THWG!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm not worried about the MNC. The present playoff system is a joke anyhow.

I'm looking forward to winning the state championship.

Then and only then, I'm looking forward to winning the ACC championship.

Two wins in those games will make this the best season since 2009. One win will make it special. But even two losses will still make this a great season given us by a great team. Thanks, guys, no matter what happens!

iggymcfly

Georgia Tech Fan
6 teams with Top 4 conference champions auto-qualifying would be best system. In that case, we'd still probably be in we won out. Would just need Ohio State to lose a game OR Georgia to win the SEC OR a 3-loss Pac-12 champion.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
It's fun to think about but I really just want to beat the nad lickers. I want it really badly this year. The committee screwed us out of a chance last week when they put us at 18 instead of 14/15. If we were at 14 and the dominos fell the right way it would be possible but with a win at UGA and then fsu we would be only ranked 7/8 at this point, but like I said lets just beat the mutts. That's the most important game