Tech's Likelihood of Winning

slugboy

Staff member
Beats me, but they are.
The up to date numbers should be at bcftoys.com
That’s Fremeau’s personal site
There are some other good analysts out there

FWIW, Charlie Thomas got some clutch turnovers. We might improve in a lot of areas, but regression there could really hurt.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW, Charlie Thomas got some clutch turnovers. We might improve in a lot of areas, but regression there could really hurt.
By far the biggest lost for me. If there was one kid I could retain from graduation or portal it’s him and it’s not close. There was less backfield pressure when Keion came off the field, but it felt like less of everything when Charlie was off.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
By far the biggest lost for me. If there was one kid I could retain from graduation or portal it’s him and it’s not close. There was less backfield pressure when Keion came off the field, but it felt like less of everything when Charlie was off.
Actually he could see the future and react. If Thack conjures up another one like him, its massive crow eating time. Already had nice helping last year

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
and, if history is any guide, 1-2 games where we lay an egg and drop a game which we *should* win (like UVa last year).
We would have won that game had Sims not reaggravated his injury. Key’s biggest **** up of the season was not having a QB#2 ready for that game in my opinion.

Considerable time in practice should have been devoted to that during the short week and it simply wasn’t prioritized - cost us the game with a 3-0 division record on the line.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Wasnt going to post in this thread because really, who the hell knows how much a team will win. Injuries, bad bounces, crappily timed marginal penalties, team chemistry, made/missed kicks, fluke plays, etc generate a lot of randomness.

However, I rewatched Pitt and UNC games from last year, and I do see some things that lead to optimism. One was DL play. Yes Keon and those LBs are gone. In general though our DL has improved. Second, I like how we tailored available talent into game plans that won. Third I saw us play undaunted by circumstances and focus on execution of said plans...IMO that's the "toughness" Key is talking about. Fourth the coaches stuck to their plans and didn't make weird Collins-like decisions to lose the game. Fifth, an OL that was growing up last year returns and looks solid.

No idea what that means for number of wins, but I do feel confident we will field a product that is well-prepared, plays hard regardless of scoreboard, limits beating ourselves, and of which I can be proud of as Tech fan. Usually that means you win your share as well, but always it means you are headed in the right direction.

Key reminds me of the NIU head coach who played OL for NIU as Key did for GT. Both with pride in their alma mater and a focus on toughness. Ultimately the ceiling will depend on getting/keeping talent both on the team and on the staff. But I do see Key at minimum getting us to bowl contention most years, and maybe much more.
Excellent post with one caveat. I think (not always a given at my age) that the NIU coach in question was a running back for the Huskies back in the day. He just looked like an offensive lineman on the sidelines that night.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
What we need is a poll. Who is the biggest loss from last year's team that will be hardest to replace? I would pick Charlie but others might choose Keion or even Sims or perhaps someone else.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
It's not a static situation. If we are in the "build" phase, as I think we are now, given a choice I'd want to maximize our chance of winning the OOC games, going to bowls, and having a good enough record to have a shot at getting ranked. The most loyal fans will complain about the cupcakes, and sit through the beatdowns by vastly superior teams, but most will continue to buy tickets. This isn't who we are trying to attract. In a hypothetical scenario with an easier schedule this season where we go 7-6 and bowling, then 9-4 and ranked next year, excitement will build even if some of those wins were easy. On the other hand, if we lost two of those games each year because we scheduled tougher teams, we would miss the bowl the first year and in the second I could see some fans grumbling that we are "settling for mediocrity". ;)
Unfortunately, as you stated, the schedules are already pretty locked up anyway.
Yeah, I'm kinda tired of having to take pride in the fact that we play a tough schedules while getting our butts kicked by superior teams year in and year out.

I'm ready to win some damn games, and I don't give a rip how weak the schedule is.

For at least the next five years. After that, we can start to upgrade.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree. From what I've seen Bobo seems an excellent O-coordinator, I hate to say.

Yep, agreed. Monken may be better overall, but Bobo is not huge downgrade. He likes to sling it around and take shots from remembering their games vs us....

Monken also had Bennet as starting QB for his last two years, and while Bennett was a great game manager but his arm strength for the deep pass is limited.

Well, if you believe any Dwag fan, the Beck kid of whatever his name is, is a much better passer than Stetson with a stronger arm.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
Brothers and sisters, we can beat the Dawgs this year. Buster will know how to get 27 points on them. There are some weak links on their defense (edge players and their so- called All American LB.) Buster can also help with our defense preparation. The QB is not a running threat and hopefully we can create some negative plays on defense. What a day it will be.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think we are underestimating the impact of the new staff our hc has assembled. They are all extremely experienced and have championship credentials. One area that stands out to me is the new offensive co-ordinator. I am hoping he has the ability to get the passing attack in sync.

For years we have talked how we were going to use the tight end. This year we really could see that happen. Uga has all world talent at TE and they played like it. We have been mediocre at getting the TE the ball when he has space to get good yards after catch. I believe that will keep us on the field milking the clock and take pressure off the defense. Also we finally have several TE that can muscle up on LOC. Ward and Leonard are grown up. The portal has been good.

Also , for all of Sims talent - he was not consistently accurste as a passer, which limited the pass patterns. I like the pyron kid and the gun slinger from TAM.

Imo, we win the Lousiville game and TE have 100 yds. Wont that be fun to see a TE , make a catch and rumble - yea Leonard has been busting *** to get back on the field. Key will use that. Let the jackets run loose

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think we are underestimating the impact of the new staff our hc has assembled. They are all extremely experienced and have championship credentials. One area that stands out to me is the new offensive co-ordinator. I am hoping he has the ability to get the passing attack in sync.

For years we have talked how we were going to use the tight end. This year we really could see that happen. Uga has all world talent at TE and they played like it. We have been mediocre at getting the TE the ball when he has space to get good yards after catch. I believe that will keep us on the field milking the clock and take pressure off the defense. Also we finally have several TE that can muscle up on LOC. Ward and Leonard are grown up. The portal has been good.

Also , for all of Sims talent - he was not consistently accurste as a passer, which limited the pass patterns. I like the pyron kid and the gun slinger from TAM.

Imo, we win the Lousiville game and TE have 100 yds. Wont that be fun to see a TE , make a catch and rumble - yea Leonard has been busting *** to get back on the field. Key will use that. Let the jackets run loose
No chance our TEs get 100 yards in the opener. The Tech Tower will implode if that happens. They couldn’t catch a cold last year the two or three times they were actually open all year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
No chance our TEs get 100 yards in the opener. The Tech Tower will implode if that happens. They couldn’t catch a cold last year the two or three times they were actually open all year.
If u are the dc for UL, we have a good chance.

I am trusting the NEW assistant coaches. THE OLD HAS PAST AWAY

Oh, I would be happy w 50 key yards that keep drives alive

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If u are the dc for UL, we have a good chance.

I am trusting the NEW assistant coaches. THE OLD HAS PAST AWAY

Oh, I would be happy w 50 key yards that keep drives alive
50 yards is possible but a bit optimistic. About 3 or 4 receptions is the most I would expect in the opener. TEs need to both get open and then catch a pass. Our TEs have not demonstrated the ability to do both.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
50 yards is possible but a bit optimistic. About 3 or 4 receptions is the most I would expect in the opener. TEs need to both get open and then catch a pass. Our TEs have not demonstrated the ability to do both.
We will see the new coaches have qb and the recievers are on same page without having to stare at each other. The wr will get their receptions, but count on it. The TE will play a big part in 24.

GT33

Helluva Engineer

Dontae Smith's gonna have over 100 yds on 15-20 carries & might be closer to 150, 3-4 others combining for 100+ yds. We'll have 4-5 receivers/TE's with over 50 yds. Someone will get close to 100, might even break 100 if they break free for a long TD. GT will net over 500 yds total offense, could be close to a 600 yd night. Louisville is ****ed. Don't get off the bus Louie, you're gonna get it bad from a pissed off group of Yellow Jackets.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We will see the new coaches have qb and the recievers are on same page without having to stare at each other. The wr will get their receptions, but count on it. The TE will play a big part in 24.
We will see. We heard the same talk last year. Got almost nothing from the TE position. A huge upgrade would get us to near average for the position.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This, just catch the damn ball and hold on to it when you get your chance in critical moments. I do wonder about the uga TE transfer, he MIght be a significant upgrade in our TE talent level, but who knows?