Tech's Likelihood of Winning

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
ACC Strength of Schedules - once again GT with the hardest.
We get UVA, BC, and Wake Forest this season. 3 of the worst teams in the conference. If we don’t make it to Charlotte, it’s assuredly our fault and nothing to do with the schedule makers. The permanent game with Clemson definitely sucks though. If you pencil that in as an auto loss, you more than likely need to win every remaining game to make the championship. No margin for error.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
We get UVA, BC, and Wake Forest this season. 3 of the worst teams in the conference. If we don’t make it to Charlotte, it’s assuredly our fault and nothing to do with the schedule makers. The permanent game with Clemson definitely sucks though. If you pencil that in as an auto loss, you more than likely need to win every remaining game to make the championship. No margin for error.
Honestly I don’t see it as an auto loss at all. I don’t see their QB troubles vanishing. They should have taken a transfer stud but are too stubborn. Much happier we aren’t playing Florida state every year. I think they’re about to be the real deal for multiple seasons.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly I don’t see it as an auto loss at all. I don’t see their QB troubles vanishing. They should have taken a transfer stud but are too stubborn. Much happier we aren’t playing Florida state every year. I think they’re about to be the real deal for multiple seasons.
Until Clemson fixes their QB problems I believe they’re beatable. I’m seeing 4 or 5 games we’ve got a very good chance to win with a few that’s a toss up. Get me one win over Miami , Georgia, Mississippi or Clemson and this will be a very good season for the Yellow Jackets. I know Georgia is an uphill battle but the other 3 we can find a win. Folks, this is a different coaching staff get out of your mind what’s went on when Geoff Collins was here that dude was a freaking disaster for Ga Tech Football. I know the dude tried but let’s keep this real..he stunk up the sidelines. Good days are ahead just wait and see baby.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Until Clemson fixes their QB problems I believe they’re beatable. I’m seeing 4 or 5 games we’ve got a very good chance to win with a few that’s a toss up. Get me one win over Miami , Georgia, Mississippi or Clemson and this will be a very good season for the Yellow Jackets. I know Georgia is an uphill battle but the other 3 we can find a win. Folks, this is a different coaching staff get out of your mind what’s went on when Geoff Collins was here that dude was a freaking disaster for Ga Tech Football. I know the dude tried but let’s keep this real..he stunk up the sidelines. Good days are ahead just wait and see baby.

Unfortunately (for the ACC), Clemson got smart and went back to what made them "Clemson". They made a homerun offensive hire in Garrett Riley, who like his brother Lincoln, is a QB whisperer. That's a beautiful offense he runs. Yes, his QBs will throw a lot, but what makes his offense so special is the running game. Klubinik has the tools to make that new offense hum.

I agree though, I think GT has a chance. I think Key is just a darn good football coach. Our problem will be timing. We'll play Clemson towards the end of the season. By then, Riley and Clemson should have the offense ironed out.

We'll see. I'm excited that Key had an entire spring and will have an entire fall camp to work with the guys. I think if he would have had that last year, GT would have gone bowling.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Someone on here said we win one of UGA, Clemson and I think they may be right. I always get optimistic this time of year so I try and temper it a little but I think we got a really good staff, enough good players that fit what they are trying to do. My biggest question is the same as many others on here, do we have enough big plays on defense to make the difference when we need it. The offense gets better and better as year moves along IMO and ends up being really good the last half of season.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I always get optimistic this time of year so I try and temper it a little but I think we got a really good staff, enough good players that fit what they are trying to do.
I don't have the same passion for the game as I did in my younger days (and I suspect that is true for most of us in our "autumn" or "winter" years) but I have always said that when the day comes that I am not optimistic going into summer/preseason camp, that will be the day that I finally step off the merry go round for good. I am excited for the upcoming season as I have been for every season since I was a rat. Thank goodness.

CBK, with his two road wins as 20+ points underdogs, revived all the good memories of GT football over the decades - a tough, hardnosed, disciplined football team who would go toe to toe with anyone. I look forward to more of the same this fall. We just have to suffer through July and August until toe meets leather again brothers and sisters!

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I am not short term bullish on this team, but I believe things are headed in the right direction. So many mistakes have been made over the last 20 years.

We would have been better off keeping Gailey and making him hire a qualified OC--and not Pat Nix, who is now a HS coach. Homer Rice would have done that, and there is precedent for it. But Radakovich wanted to hire his own guy--which he didn't get to do anyway.

Then we hire Collins but don't give him the money to hire the staff he wants to hire. We get to pay him for almost 4 years to not coach, and have to pay more to get a better staff anyway.

Hopefully, Cabrera and J. Batt are a new day for the GTAA. Again, "hopefully", but hope is better than hopelessness.

Red said “Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”

Andy said “Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.”

Shawshank Redemption. I'll go with Andy on this one.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am not short term bullish on this team, but I believe things are headed in the right direction. So many mistakes have been made over the last 20 years.

We would have been better off keeping Gailey and making him hire a qualified OC--and not Pat Nix, who is now a HS coach. Homer Rice would have done that, and there is precedent for it. But Radakovich wanted to hire his own guy--which he didn't get to do anyway.

Then we hire Collins but don't give him the money to hire the staff he wants to hire. We get to pay him for almost 4 years to not coach, and have to pay more to get a better staff anyway.

Hopefully, Cabrera and J. Batt are a new day for the GTAA. Again, "hopefully", but hope is better than hopelessness.

Red said “Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”

Andy said “Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.”

Shawshank Redemption. I'll go with Andy on this one.

Braine helped Gailey with Tenuta so that was a good hire from our AD.

Technically, J Batt wanted to hire his "own guy" as well but some big donors pushed their money to Key.

Also, I believe Radakovich originally wanted Will Muschamp...so dodged a bullet there.

College sports politics is a fascinating thing. Even at a smaller P5 program like GT.

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Because of hope, Andy crawled through 500 yards of foul smelling awfulness similar to what Tech fans have suffered thru 3.3 years of TFG. Feels like we escaped that sewer pipe last year and now just have to collect all the dirty spoils before heading to the sandy beaches of Zihuatenejo.

Sorry, I’ve watched Shawshank way more than any human should.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Because of hope, Andy crawled through 500 yards of foul smelling awfulness similar to what Tech fans have suffered thru 3.3 years of TFG. Feels like we escaped that sewer pipe last year and now just have to collect all the dirty spoils before heading to the sandy beaches of Zihuatenejo.

Sorry, I’ve watched Shawshank way more than any human should.
My epiphany when TFG got the boot:

1688155377309.gif

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
UVA is going to be horrible this year. I have pretty realistic expectations for GT this year, but I feel pretty confident that this will be a win for us no matter where the game is played. I've got us as 1 pt favorites on the road for my lookaheads.
Hooville is and will remain a house of horrors for GT. Payback for 1990. Seen too many WTF games there to ever be confident for that W

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
ACC Strength of Schedules - once again GT with the hardest.
BC: A nonconference slate of Army, UConn, NIU and Holy Cross give Jeff Hafley a great chance of a return to bowl eligibility. The Eagles also avoid Clemson and get a pair of comparable conference opponents (Virginia, Virginia Tech) at home.

I hope that ADJB understands the need lighten our non-conference schedule as much as possible given that we have Clemson and UGA as perennial foes.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
There is no way FSU is beating Clemson this year. Clemson’s sole issue was the QB position. Klubnik is for real and will shred the ACC with Riley calling the shots. It’s just wishful thinking that Clemson’s run is over. They are just reloading and Norvell is a joke of a coach so FSU is very limited from the coaching side which we have experience with.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There is no way FSU is beating Clemson this year. Clemson’s sole issue was the QB position. Klubnik is for real and will shred the ACC with Riley calling the shots. It’s just wishful thinking that Clemson’s run is over. They are just reloading and Norvell is a joke of a coach so FSU is very limited from the coaching side which we have experience with.

IMHO Clemson had a QB and Offensive Coordinator problem, but they fixed both.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
BC: A nonconference slate of Army, UConn, NIU and Holy Cross give Jeff Hafley a great chance of a return to bowl eligibility. The Eagles also avoid Clemson and get a pair of comparable conference opponents (Virginia, Virginia Tech) at home.

I hope that ADJB understands the need lighten our non-conference schedule as much as possible given that we have Clemson and UGA as perennial foes.
That depends on what your goal is. If you want to be bowl eligible and go to a low level bowl, then a week non-conference schedule helps. If you want a shot at the playoffs, you need more.

To complicate that more, the OOC schedules are set years in advance. 2024 and 2025 are already set. 2026 only has space for what is normally an FCS game. There is a series with Alabama that is set for 2030-31. In 2030, GT could be coming off of four years of 10 plus wins and looking for an opportunity to be in the playoffs. If we cancel the Alabama games and have one regular season loss to Clemson, beating Alabama could have been enough to push us into the playoffs. Also, it is possible that in 2030 post-Saban Alabama will be considered a weak opponent.

I think they should try to schedule teams that give GT the biggest chance to be on the big stage, and that are interesting to the fans to build and maintain the fan base. It is all about "who do we want to be?". Is that a big fish, or a medium sized fish in a very small pond?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I agree Clemson will beat FSU this year. The rest of your post? Not so much.

Dabo has been stubborn about using the portal, which will be a setback. Clemson has been paying players for years, but with NIL they have more competition. They will stay top 25, but they may not see top 5 or the playoffs for awhile. There are schools with more money. South Carolina is one of them.

That joke of a coach went 10-3 last year. I'd like our coach to become a joke of a coach like that. And your post suggests that it's all about the HC, and the other 10 coaches and myriad of support staff are just cheerleaders or something. This isn't HS football.

In fact, Dabo is proof that you don't have to be a great football mind to be a good HC. But you need a good staff. (I could say the same about Bobby Dodd). I remember when Dabo was referred to as a clown by many posters on this board. We see how that worked out. But his recruiting advantage i$n't as great as it u$ed to be.