Tech vs. Louisville

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
If anyone would like to feel more optimistic about Tech's chances, I would suggest you watch the most recent pressers of Louisville Head Coach Jeff Brohm, his brother OC Brian Brohm and DC Ron English. I thought Coach Brohm might bring a more "fight for the university" attitude. But the Brohm's fit the mold of what Louisville has always been - a pro team type attitude. Brohm basically admitted how fired up Coach Key had our guys playing - and then inadvertently stated that the hungrier team usually wins the first game. It reminded me of a witness who slips up on the witness stand with a statement then realizes his mistake as he is saying it. Brian Brohm when asked whether he was more excited about being back at his alma mater and playing his first game basically said that he really didn't feel any differently than any other opener. Are you kidding? The Louisville beat writers deserve credit as journalists by asking probing questions about position deficiencies, especially at LB and WR (to some extent concerning their reads and lack of experience with the offense). When asked about the LBs, you could see Coach West's eye brows raise up which followed with a bumbling answer and concluded with "Yes, I feel good about them." Not very convincing. I hope the Cards keep reading the hype- I don't see a whole lot of confidence or drive in their coaching staff leaders. I see coaches who are worried that their team is not ready.
Yeah I try not to read too much into stuff like that. But I noticed that he said "we have to try and match their intensity."

Sounds like theyre already behind. Excellent. We will find out tomorrow baby!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Looks like Louisville lost 3 LBers, but picked one up from Stanford in the Portal. At TE, they have a former Walk-On starting. Their beat writer said they struck out for a TE in the Portal, although 26 transfers incoming for the team.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Looks like Louisville lost 3 LBers, but picked one up from Stanford in the Portal. At TE, they have a former Walk-On starting. Their beat writer said they struck out for a TE in the Portal, although 26 transfers incoming for the team.
Their biggest question marks seem to mirror ours - linebacker and tight end.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have alot of questions going into the season on our team, i'm just looking forward to getting some early answers.
We return less than 40% of our rushing and receiving yards from last year's team.
On defense we lose our Top 3 tacklers. our Top 3 tackle for loss, and top 2 sack defenders.
On special teams we will have new punt and KR personnel.

That's alot to replace.

slugboy

Staff member
This is more overall information, but Bill Connelly put together historical numbers from 1883 or so through today.

I'm gonna be careful with how I phrase this, because I don't want to resurrect the coaching debate in this thread. HOWEVER, the last time the bottom dropped out from our team in a kind-of-similar fashion, it took about 5 years to get back to a really good place with the team. The improvement was steady, and year over year. This looks really similar.

I will be pleasantly surprised if we turn everything around in one offseason. I think this team will be worth watching in 2023, and better in 2024, and so on--and I think we can be better than most people remember. Even with the undercurrents of seismic changes in college football.

I think we'll look like a good team tomorrow.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Anybody doing enemy Intel on the Louisville forums?
I did awhile back and they’re pretty much like us. Optimistic, but wary of opponent. Some do see it as a sure win but there were multiple people saying we can be strong this year and to expect a serious battle. Both sides are expecting their team to be better this year.

Most are saying it’ll be a defensive win for them. After losing multiple studs to the NFL (they finished 1st in FBS sacks last year), they feel really good about the talent reload on the front and LB’s. I doubt it’ll be the same caliber, but their D did look extremely quick to the ball in the spring game.

However, apparently O-line is their concern after losing 3 starters, so potentially a skewed showing.

Rushing Plummer feels very KEY to the game. I think our DL will shock the ACC with depth and this will be exhibit A.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
it could definitely be confirmation bias but i feel like historically tech has been awful at defending mobile qbs for the past decade. i swear we lead college football in “almost sacks turned into 25 yard scrambles on third down”. if he can’t run i like our chances on d way better
Woody danzler just ran for another 15 yards btw

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
yep, we didn't call any (of the obvious)penaties in our game I believe So we looked a LOT bett

yep, we didn't call any (of the obvious)penaties in our game I believe So we looked a LOT better.
They were fighting among themselves so I guess there is going to be a lot of trash talking from them. Hope our guys are disciplined enough not to get suckered in to some stupid penalties. Go Jackets! Send the birds home with no tail feathers!
YELLOW!