Tech vs. Louisville

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
FSU might be able to load up on enough talent to beat NCST and Wake, and occasionally beat Clemson. I think they have a ceiling, and it’s outside the top 5 teams—Ohio State, UGA, Alabama will show up with the same or better talent, and a better scheme.
Is that a drop tile ceiling?

I find it hard to agree that FSU's ceiling is outside the top 5 when they won a Natty 10 years ago and made the CFP it's first year. Maybe for this season, or maybe for the current coach (I don't think Norvell is all that good), but FSU is leading the ACC in recruiting right now and sitting #4 overall. A few years of that in a row and they will at least be at pre-2021 uga level where they are knocking at the door but maybe mess up one or two games a year.

slugboy

Staff member

I find it hard to agree that FSU's ceiling is outside the top 5 when they won a Natty 10 years ago and made the CFP its first year. Maybe for this season, or maybe for the current coach (I don't think Norvell is all that good), but FSU is leading the ACC in recruiting right now and sitting #4 overall. A few years of that in a row and they will at least be at pre-2021 uga level where they are knocking at the door but maybe mess up one or two games a year.
If it wasn’t clear, I think there’s a difference between the a core of teams competing for a title and the next tier.

UGA recruits top athletes, coaches solid technique, and uses interesting schemes. Just look at their stunts on defense. They don’t just “out athlete” their opponents. Alabama is the same—they do smart and inventive things on offense and defense. OSU fits into that category. Clemson let down their guard when they lost their coordinators a couple of years ago, but they hired Garrett Riley.

Right now, I have Norvell and FSU outside that tier of programs.

Possibly, I read too much into the losses to Wake, Clemson, and NCST.

I think UGA against FSU does what they did against LSU last season, where the game is over at halftime.

CFB has changed since Jimbo Fisher coached FSU. I don’t think Fisher and A&M are in that top tier either. Top tier recruiting and transfers are vital, but they aren’t enough.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I find it hard to agree that FSU's ceiling is outside the top 5 when they won a Natty 10 years ago and made the CFP it's first year. Maybe for this season, or maybe for the current coach (I don't think Norvell is all that good), but FSU is leading the ACC in recruiting right now and sitting #4 overall. A few years of that in a row and they will at least be at pre-2021 uga level where they are knocking at the door but maybe mess up one or two games a year.
I agree. It's about recruiting and coaching. Well, mainly about coaching because that too drives recruiting. Those teams that have the best HC and the best assistants tend to be the teams that win the most. As I said somewhere else, if we spent $15MM on our coaching staff, we'd be a Top10 program.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree. It's about recruiting and coaching. Well, mainly about coaching because that too drives recruiting. Those teams that have the best HC and the best assistants tend to be the teams that win the most. As I said somewhere else, if we spent $15MM on our coaching staff, we'd be a Top10 program.
But we are engineers- we believe "build it and they will come" .

$ 250,000,000 building debt and then we go cheap on coach and staff.

I like that Batt and Key are getting quality assistant coaches and giving young OC and DC chances.

Imo, Gt should pay to have the very best Position Coaches.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
(See my previous correction about meaning to say "regular season." Or read any of the 20 posts after that post).

Then again, you're from Free Shoes U, so I suppose you're just here to cherry pick anyway. Cheers.
Not trying to be "that guy", but FSU did beat LSU in their second game of the season. On the road. I watched it and saw FSU dominate LSU for 58 minutes, then a boneheaded play call gave LSU a chance to win.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Not trying to be "that guy", but FSU did beat LSU in their second game of the season. On the road. I watched it and saw FSU dominate LSU for 58 minutes, then a boneheaded play call gave LSU a chance to win.

Have just looked back, and now am wondering where I was looking and saw a schedule that showed FSU as playing LSU in a bowl game last year. So apparently I'm wrong. This is what happens when you're putting in 80 hour weeks and raising kids, I guess. My mistake.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Have just looked back, and now am wondering where I was looking and saw a schedule that showed FSU as playing LSU in a bowl game last year. So apparently I'm wrong. This is what happens when you're putting in 80 hour weeks and raising kids, I guess. My mistake.
No worries. Surprised you even have time to post!
I wouldn't have responded earlier, but I remembered watching that game and it was a good one. Florida State's recent shenanigans with the ACC have me shaking my head, but they're my hometown team so I watch many of their games.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
That's not allowed here. There's no admission of fault on the interwebs! Next time, you must argue your point until everyone has forgotten what the topic is. Newbies....

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Fi
If it wasn’t clear, I think there’s a difference between the a core of teams competing for a title and the next tier.

UGA recruits top athletes, coaches solid technique, and uses interesting schemes. Just look at their stunts on defense. They don’t just “out athlete” their opponents. Alabama is the same—they do smart and inventive things on offense and defense. OSU fits into that category. Clemson let down their guard when they lost their coordinators a couple of years ago, but they hired Garrett Riley.

I think UGA against FSU does what they did against LSU last season, where the game is over at halftime.

CFB has changed since Jimbo Fisher coached FSU. I don’t think Fisher and A&M are in that top tier either. Top tier recruiting and transfers are vital, but they aren’t enough.

Jimbo Fisher reminds me of Gene Chizik. They had beast QB’s to win NC’s

Last edited:

SimpleGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know how you can bet on any games at this point of the season. Navy plus the points seemed reasonable, especially with the new clock rule that should have kept the score down

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how you can bet on any games at this point of the season. Navy plus the points seemed reasonable, especially with the new clock rule that should have kept the score down
The Service Academies are going to struggle against P5/4 teams going forward at the college football rules have had a very significant negative impact on the effectiveness of the CJP option style of offense. Army has gone to mostly a shotgun option offense. Not sure what Navy ran yesterday but it clearly was a failure.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Service Academies are going to struggle against P5/4 teams going forward at the college football rules have had a very significant negative impact on the effectiveness of the CJP option style of offense. Army has gone to mostly a shotgun option offense. Not sure what Navy ran yesterday but it clearly was a failure.

NIL has widened the talent gap service academies have to overcome.

IIWII.

slugboy

Staff member
Navy had a good coach. Even good coaches wear out their welcome