Tech vs. Louisville

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Tried to attach the following:

IMG_2057.jpeg

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We had a better record, but GT under C was laughed at, ridiculed, etc.

You don't think Vandy has been laughed at and ridiculed? How about Kansas during their decade+ of extreme incompetence? My point is that we as fans perceive every slight to our program more acutely than those outside of the program do. To most, CGC was simply another failed football coach in the long history of failed football coaches. We can say we were terrible without resorting to hyperbole. We were bad, but there were worse teams out there than us.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Is that your work?

Even if it isn't, why post it?
Unfortunately, its not the work of one negative Nellie here... it was emblazoned across the screen of a national broadcast. While there is no need to pick at old scabs, it certainly speaks to the perception of our program.
Hopefully the next graphic will serve to show the stark contrast of the Key era from his predecessor.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
"They got a good defense so we’ve gotten a little bit of a head start on them."

I'm very confused by this sentence
I read it as “they got a good defense so we’ve [already started preparing for] them.”

Typically teams are focused on themselves only at this stage of the offseason. Opponent prep typically starts ~2 weeks before the opener.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Is that your work?

Even if it isn't, why post it?
Surprised anyone that watches GT football outside of maybe casual observers had not seen that.

It's the point of departure of the Key regime. He's literally going to drag us out of the depths of the worst 3 year period in the history of GT football. Seems to be lost on some just how low we had gotten. We got the right man for the job, he may get us there quickly, time will tell. If it takes 2-3 years, we're going to need to patient because we were at the very bottom of the deepest ditch GT had ever been in when Key took over.

First step is knocking off Louisville and making a statement on national TV.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Hard to refute any of his points. Brohm is an improvement and he is bringing a veteran QB he has been coaching a while. They’ll be tough.
That said, The guys he is throwing to are all new to both of them. I like getting them week one. It’s a great time to take advantage of missed reads and bad timing. Hope Thack has the guys fired up
Lville has a cakewalk schedule. They are going to win a lot of games this year. This win over them in week one is going to look really good at the end of the day.

You don't think Vandy has been laughed at and ridiculed? How about Kansas during their decade+ of extreme incompetence? My point is that we as fans perceive every slight to our program more acutely than those outside of the program do. To most, CGC was simply another failed football coach in the long history of failed football coaches. We can say we were terrible without resorting to hyperbole. We were bad, but there were worse teams out there than us.
i thought Collins would’ve done better because he did pretty good at Temple but so did AL Golden. You gotta have the right coach that’s a good fit at places like Ga Tech, Stanford, Purdue and Vanderbilt. IMO it’s about QB play at these schools and if you got a good smart QB you can make some noise. Coach key will fix the QB position and I believe he’s going to make some noise. There’s enough talent in Georgia to go around we just gotta have a coach that can get ‘em.

slugboy

Staff member
Just a lazy take. Everyone places way too much stock in prior year performance when predicting early season games. We will be fine.
Parker Fleming ( @statsowar on Twitter / X / whatever the hell you want to call it) is super sharp. The other two guys, not so much.
I haven’t watched the video. If I do, I’ll probably fast forward chunks of it if it’s too long.

Parker Fleming is a good stats guy. For a preview, you can look at previous year game tape, previous year stats, previous year player ratings, or get invited to meaningful practices for both teams this year (if you can find them). The last option won’t happen often, and for people who are trying to preview a ton of teams, it’s not gonna be practical even with a private plane and an unlimited budget.

If you’re using film: We started the year with a terrible offense and ended the year looking like we knew what we were doing with a third or fourth-string QB. You probably need Western Kentucky or Valdosta game film to see this year’s offense (with different players). For Louisville, you need to watch Purdue film with mostly different players.

On defense, Louisville had a better rated defense than us last year. We were pretty good. We’ve changed over some coaches, and hopefully look good at LB.

If someone previews this game based on last year, it’s pretty smart to think Louisville slides a little on defense and gets better on offense, and we slide or hold even on defense and get better on offense.

That probably leaves Louisville at a 7-point favorite. To win this game, we need to have gotten much better on offense and maybe better on defense with a decent group of transfers. All that would be invisible to almost anyone forecasting this game.

It’s what I’m hoping to see, though.

This is a murky game to preview—more than most with both head coaches kicking off the season as new HCs at their schools

CEB

Helluva Engineer
i thought Collins would’ve done better because he did pretty good at Temple but so did AL Golden. You gotta have the right coach that’s a good fit at places like Ga Tech, Stanford, Purdue and Vanderbilt. IMO it’s about QB play at these schools and if you got a good smart QB you can make some noise. Coach key will fix the QB position and I believe he’s going to make some noise. There’s enough talent in Georgia to go around we just gotta have a coach that can get ‘em.
want to seize on the Collins / Golden comment but not the thread for it. Suffice to say the two coaches were on diverging trends.

I am looking forward to improved QB play too. I’m also hoping to see him protected. Not just by blocking (which I’m also looking forward to improvement) but by offense that keeps him out of bad situations and receivers that recognize D, check routes and fight to the ball hard to minimize deflections and ints. QB play is essential but there’s a whole lot of people involved in making a good QB look like a good QB. I’m optimistic we are getting the pieces in place.