Tech @ UNC (Oct. 12th) - Noon Kickoff

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Some guys just have it coming.
I'm rooting for a 4TD win.

bully GIF

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I haven't seen evidence of that. It may be because I purposefully haven't been looking. Not defending TFG by any means, but where have you seen that he does this? I recall he was quoted once saying WTTE that maybe he wasn't ready for a head coach job (?)

If he is indeed dissing our program now, he has sunk from merely con artist/incompetent to pathologically dangerous.
Don’t know if he is still dissing our program or not. I avoid any articles, references to, or social media about him. But before he got his current job he was, shall we say, less than charitable about Tech. I have no doubt about his current feelings toward all things Tech have not changed.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well, I decided to watch the Geoff Collins pre-Tech game press conference. Here are my takeaways.

Very complimentary of Tech and Tech players. Especially liked calling out players he recruited.

Explained in somewhat technical detail why UNC players were close to making the play when they gave up big yardage on a play.

He sees progress. He is proud of their effort. He is positive about the program.

Out of an approximately 20 minute press conference about 8 minutes were spent talking about himself. He has gotten over what happened to him at Tech. “It happens to lots of coaches,” as he name dropped a few and even gave a shout out to coach Brown’s experiences with this. “It’s not about me. I can’t let my feelings keep me from giving my complete focus to the game as that would not be fair to the players.”

Thought of how Key would have handled questions about his feelings and I’m sure he would have made it clear he was not there to talk about himself.

Later a few remarks were made about strength and conditioning coaches he’s had and where they are now. He brought up Temple. Joked with reporters about his various “get back coaches” and their training process. He said he had been mostly keeping himself under control on the sidelines.

Was struck all over again by how easily he makes a disastrous performance by the defense sound positive. The press seemed to like and enjoy him.

Make of this what you will.

slugboy

Staff member
Well, I decided to watch the Geoff Collins pre-Tech game press conference. Here are my takeaways.

Very complimentary of Tech and Tech players. Especially liked calling out players he recruited.

Explained in somewhat technical detail why UNC players were close to making the play when they gave up big yardage on a play.

He sees progress. He is proud of their effort. He is positive about the program.

Out of an approximately 20 minute press conference about 8 minutes were spent talking about himself. He has gotten over what happened to him at Tech. “It happens to lots of coaches,” as he name dropped a few and even gave a shout out to coach Brown’s experiences with this. “It’s not about me. I can’t let my feelings keep me from giving my complete focus to the game as that would not be fair to the players.”

Thought of how Key would have handled questions about his feelings and I’m sure he would have made it clear he was not there to talk about himself.

Later a few remarks were made about strength and conditioning coaches he’s had and where they are now. He brought up Temple. Joked with reporters about his various “get back coaches” and their training process. He said he had been mostly keeping himself under control on the sidelines.

Was struck all over again by how easily he makes a disastrous performance by the defense sound positive. The press seemed to like and enjoy him.

TFC did get asked a lot of “is there bad blood?” questions and personal questions. He didn’t seem to seek them out. They did go on a little long.

I didn’t get much of an idea of what they are doing on defense, other than being close now.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

"If you can't see the progress..."
Thanks for watching it and providing a synopsis. Not sure I have the stomach to watch.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
TFC did get asked a lot of “is there bad blood?” questions and personal questions. He didn’t seem to seek them out. They did go on a little long.

I didn’t get much of an idea of what they are doing on defense, other than being close now.
Exactly.

The press asked (and why wouldn’t they) and he took the bait hook, line and sinker. It is possible to be firm with the press if you don’t want to discuss something, but I think Geoff is always a little flattered when he gets questions about himself. It gives him a chance to talk about his focus and his manly adulthood approach to achieving greatness. He likes to talk about himself.

Maybe he felt like he had to give extended commentary about his feelings about Tech to dispense with the questions but I think Key could have cut that off much sooner and reminded the press that the topic was about a college football game, not how his therapy was going.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I take it you weren’t a big Moesha or Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan?
I am not myself but then again, modern rap and heavy metal just aren't my favorites. Although I think big Moesha was the opening act at a Gov't Mule concert I attended recently. Or was it Chris Stapleton? In any case, big M had a bit of the old school New York/Biggie Smalls/NAS sound that makes us all nostalgic for the golden days of rap. Or at least me anyways. But i am the type that thinks we should always wear G/W/G so you might say I am a sentimental old coot.

In the many other shows I have been to, somehow I have missed Buffy the Vampire Slayer either as an opening act or as the headliner. But, then again dawg, you know how sometimes things can get when you are out clubbing or hitting up the concerts. Are they on Spotify per chance?

WraleighWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I follow unc football pretty regularly with my son as a student there and several unc supporters as friends. I warned the unc fans upfront about TFG and they have all come to me recently to say I was spot on. Lots of talk about how defense is usually not prepared at start of plays and yelling/arguing with each other about assignments(sounds familiar). Also, talk about how defense forgot how to tackle. How do you unlearn how to tackle? I will be at the game Saturday pulling for the jackets.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

Thanks. A good summary. I attached Jackson Caudell's article with a couple of full quotes. I know he would like to shut GT down. I hope our guys are ready to go on Saturday.

slugboy

Staff member
If Eli Holstein can burn em for 76 on the ground and 381 through the air, King ought to eat this Saturday if we protect.
Holstein threw for 301 and ran for 59 against WVU. He threw for 302 and ran for 36 against Cincy. I think those are Holstein kinds of numbers.

I watched some of the UNC V Minnesota game, and was glad a fellow ACC team won, but wasn't super impressed. I haven't watched them much since then.

I found this: https://northcarolina.rivals.com/news/numbers-suggest-the-slide-appears-to-have-carried-over

According to that article, They're a below average tackling team, and worse at pass defense than run defense. They're pretty bad at pass defense. They get sacks. The author is talking about a slide in the past four games, and they're giving up more yards and missing more tackles. They may have locker room issues--reportedly, players yelled "Hell yes" when Brown offered to retire a few games ago.

They seem to fall apart in the 4th quarter, too