Tech - uga in 2025 at MB Stadium

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
We are going to have a lot of construction going on in our stadium for the next couple years. This isn't a bad thing. Its better than having to play there twice in a row. If anything this might actually help out attendance as it will keep dwag fans from buying season tickets just for that game.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Am I reading this correctly… this game won’t be included in our season tickets??!

In short, while tickets for Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate will not be a part of our 2025 football season tickets packages, seats for Georgia Tech season ticket members who purchase tickets for the GT-UGA game at Mercedes-Benz Stadium will be assigned after MBS suite and club seat holders only.
I am obviously not wild about this either. Thinking of this year, we lost 2 home games at Bobby Dodd (FSU was a home game in Dublin and Notre Dame at Mercedes-Benz). I think the honest reason UGA it is not included in the Season Ticket package in 2025 is we still have 6 home games (Temple, Gardner-Webb, Clemson, PItt, Va Tech, and Syracuse). The ACC portion of the home schedule is decent but the OOC games will draw very few visiting fans. UGA will buy most of the tickets in 2025 but my guess is this will have a fairly healthy price tag (again for revenue). But I think we also need to consider why a major reason Batt was brought in was to get the revenue situation under control in the new era of paying players (coming) and NIL. Plus renovating Bobby Dodd which was in desperate need of a refresh. Finally, the UGA games at Bobby Dodd on Thanksgiving weekend always has mostly UGA fans because a significant portion of GT Season Ticket Holders sell their tickets. So I don't think this will change the dynamics of home field advantage. Hopefully some day we will have a large Season Ticket contingency, and we can get rid of Mercedes-Benz games and have a true home field advantage vs. UGA moving forward.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm royally pissed about this, and I am sure most of you are too, but let's not let our irateness make this game 90% mutts. We need to show up, bring 40k fans and then accept the money from 32k mutt fans. Do not let this game be 60-65k mutt fans just cause we are upset.

Also Mr. Batt, do not **** this up further by closing the 3rd tier, just make sure all the mutts are in the 3rd tier and not the bottom 2.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
All you need to know is that UGA would NEVER do this no matter the $ amount. They are too proud of a program. Sucks to type that out but it is true.
So you say that the mutts would NEVER have a rivalry game at a neutral site venue for revenue purposes? I think you need to check their schedule for the last umpteenth years.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I really do think GT fans get the shaft when it comes to seating at MBS. Batt and GT really need to work on getting GT fans priority seating with better seat location if they're going to continue games at MBS. I know it's only one game a season, but it has the potential to alienate season ticket holders who have put their time in the seating pecking order.
The announcement specifically says that we'll get priority seating.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
The announcement specifically says that we'll get priority seating.
Yes but behind Mercedes Club Seats (7,500 Seats) and Suites (193 suites...not sure how many seats that equates to). But at least 9,000 seats will be ahead of GT fans. And that assumes they are getting a 1 to 1 seat buy. They be getting multiple seats per seat they have at MB. I think the spin is good but the real question is what seats will GT fans actually have access to after MB fans ahead of us.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Batt was hired for his ability to raise revenue and increase program funding at a critical time for our future in CFB. He has been quite successful so far. He makes another move to give our finances a significant bump near-term. Fans complain. This seems to be the Tech Way.
I swear I think some of our fans would prefer that our program slowly wither away, as long as we wear the right shade of gold while doing it.

Darthdad

Georgia Tech Fan
Yes, we need the money but look at the games we have moved out of Grant Field the last few years: UNC, Clemson, Louisville, FSU, ND, and now UGA. The good news besides the money is that you can’t get much more into rivals than we already have.

Is Tech setting up a situation where the money is irresistible and we sign a new contract to keep these games going through say 2031? Does this set up an annual game off campus for the foreseeable future and it becomes the expectation?

I would submit there are non-monetary reasons that the big programs don’t move their biggest rivals off campus or sacrifice home games unless the other side does as well. Two of the most well-known examples are Florida-Georgia and OU-Texas, both of which are played at neutral sites. But they do so every year, not merely when one team would have it rotate to their campus. Making MBS the permanent home replacing both campuses is a different situation since UGA would also be giving up a home game and to honest, if UGA was involved like that it would probably make such a contract much more lucrative. But that’s not where we’re at.

Money aside, consider the following hypothetical: UGA wins the 2024 game. The 2025 game is now at MBS and while Tech fans will have priority there is no indication of a discount. Suppose as a result the game is majority UGA fans perhaps even a significant majority. UGA wins and ties the 8 game winning streak record in the series. In 2026, back at Sanford, they win and have a 9 game winning streak in the series.

I’m not saying there is a cause-effect but that’s a rather dismal hypo that I hope doesn’t come to pass. Even worse if UGA makes any of these blowouts.

My question going forward is: what is the endgame here? What year is the final year of us moving home games off campus?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I would understand the move if the tickets were included in the season ticket package. Since it forces season ticket holders to shell out extra for the additional home game it seems guaranteed to ensure more uga fans will be in attendance than GT fans.

Last edited:

Darthdad

Georgia Tech Fan
Yes but behind Mercedes Club Seats (7,500 Seats) and Suites (193 suites...not sure how many seats that equates to). But at least 9,000 seats will be ahead of GT fans. And that assumes they are getting a 1 to 1 seat buy. They be getting multiple seats per seat they have at MB. I think the spin is good but the real question is what seats will GT fans actually have access to after MB fans ahead of us.
And how much will those seats cost? Add that on to the cost of season tickets.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
It is also interesting that 2025 Season Ticket renewals start now. I wonder how much they have pushed up the deadline to renew Season Tickets for 2025? Are they trying to get cash infusion sooner from this change?