Tech - uga in 2025 at MB Stadium

GTJacketClaw

Georgia Tech Fan
So we wont NEED money after this game is done? We wont want more eyes on our games after this game is done? What is stopping them continuing this?
My read of the statement was that this was a modification to the current 6 game contract to play a game annually at MBS. I know it sucks but if we have to play a game there anyway and we have been able to spin it into a way to give us an additional payout and start renovations earlier than I think it may be worth it. Batt isn't looking to extend the MBS games deal and I think he understands the importance of home games, hence the renovations. This was just a way for him to squeeze some more juice out of the situation we are already in.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Just read an article in the AJC that Texas played Georgia in Atlanta on Georgia Tech’s Grant Field (26-7 Texas win) in the 1957 season opener. As I understand, Grant Field was one of the largest venues back then (40K) hence the decision. The previous season, they played at Texas Memorial Stadium. Any of you 'Golden Jackets' remember this?

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
AJC Article about the move to MBS in 2025 - Why Georgia Tech moved its 2025 game against UGA from home to Mercedes-Benz Stadium

I found this comment by ADJB interesting:

“At the end of the day, we’re embarking on the next era of college athletics, where new revenue sources being created become more and more important as we move forward,” Batt said. “As we looked at this, we owed Mercedes-Benz (Stadium) and (AMB Sports and Entertainment) a game already for next year. We leaned into it together as a partner. … If you think about it, it’s approximately five times the normal amount of single-game incremental revenue that we would achieve from having that game in Bobby Dodd. So, if you think about the alternating schedule, it would take us a decade to realize that amount of revenue that we’ll achieve in one game.

Yes, the money is a key reason for this move.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
Are we still playing a game at MBS in 2026? Or do two games in 2025 complete the contract?

It’s 2025 and 2026.

I called u(sic)ga in 2025 since that would piss the fanbase off the most.

2026 is slim pickings since we have a relatively easy home schedule. I guessed Colorado then but only if they’re still ‘interesting’. There may be too much risk with them slipping back to irrelevance by then.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
How this not a sign that our own stadum isnt "good enough" for big time CFB? We just keep taking our best home games out of our stadium.
This is some real Amateur hour stuff in my opinion.
Its a product of a $500M initiative for GT Athletics, I don't like the Benz either, but this has nothing to do with our stadium except that its under construction for improvements ... which is a good sign for our program.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
lol at those who think this is going to be a one time thing. I wouldn't be shocked if at some point UGA just starts paying us to play in Athens all of the time. We will do anything for a little extra cash.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
I dont like it either but people have to see the long term vision. We either make changes and gather resources now or we will NOT be playing top flight "college" football in the near future. IIWII

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
After an initial cooling off period, I am going to say that I trust J Batt has previously run this idea by GTAA's top benefactors and they've been onboard with the revenue generation aspect of shipping this game off to MBS. The absolute worst thing that could come out of this is this being the final straw for a benefactor to pull an 8 figure gift. If players become employees down the line, GTAA needs as large coffers as possible, whether that comes from event revenue or donations.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I don't particularly like this but I am OK with it because we need the cash, EXCEPT that a UGA "home" game is not in my season tickets package. Right now, if I do buy a ticket to this game, the price will only be for face value of the ticket with my seat comparable to my season ticket seat in section 106. Otherwise, I will watch it on my big screen and Tech can sell my ticket as they like.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
All you need to know is that UGA would NEVER do this no matter the $ amount. They are too proud of a program. Sucks to type that out but it is true.
Jacksonville says "Hey". The mutts play their largest rivalry game at a neutral site far closer to their rival than their home. They do it for the $$$$. All teams are money whores.

CubeE

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m surprised that people haven’t talked much about the House vs. NCAA ruling and how that plays into this. The way I read it, now GT needs to pledge an additional $22 million each year on top of NIL to stay “at the top”. If this is a way to get to that number so we can compete, then I guess it makes sense.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
After an initial cooling off period, I am going to say that I trust J Batt has previously run this idea by GTAA's top benefactors and they've been onboard with the revenue generation aspect of shipping this game off to MBS. The absolute worst thing that could come out of this is this being the final straw for a benefactor to pull an 8 figure gift. If players become employees down the line, GTAA needs as large coffers as possible, whether that comes from event revenue or donations.

Along those lines, does anyone know if the GT Foundation can contribute to the capital campaign? The last data I can find online is that our endowment was around $3 billion in 2021. I'm sure it is higher now. But if they wanted to contribute $100 million or $200 million to the GTAA capital campaign, is that something they could legally do?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Along those lines, does anyone know if the GT Foundation can contribute to the capital campaign? The last data I can find online is that our endowment was around $3 billion in 2021. I'm sure it is higher now. But if they wanted to contribute $100 million or $200 million to the GTAA capital campaign, is that something they could legally do?
Wouldn't the new "employees" of the school be paid by the school and not the Athletic Department?