TECH OFFENSE

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
So bringing this back to a discussion. My only concern is what has been Tech's issue for as many years as I have been going to games....since 1969. Defense. CPJ realized this and his offense was the way to control it. When the other teams only had 10 possessions we could limit the scores. Now when we play inferior competition we can play some defense but let's be frank here for this season. Clemson and Georgia have some very high power offense. They will probably score on 50% of their possessions against us. If we give them 18 possessions....well we will need to score 72 points to win.

First I hope we don't get crushed by Clemson in game 1 because that could seriously impact a team being driven by hype. Maybe Collins will figure out a way to get the defense better. But I expect the offense to struggle in many games. So that being said I see us flat out losing to Georgia and Clemson. UVA will be better than us and at UVA. Loss. NC State may be another loss. As I said earlier, Tech has always done better when we were a run first team. Let's hope we stay that way.

I like that Coach Collins will prioritize the Defense so that, when the O is inevitably ineffective and the game falls onto the D, we hopefully won't cringe as much as the past decade. Ignoring the defense to focus on the offense isn't the best approach to take to a phase that is roughly 40% of every football game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I understand that a healthy amount of skepticism is good for everyone, but you’re consumed by it lol. The Scrooge of the Swarm, if you will.

I’m really not trying to press your buttons here, but what are you optimistic about going into this season??
That's fair, because yes, I am very much a show-me type and talk is off-putting, and Collins likes to talk. I am mildly optimistic that the new/old offense will make it easier for one of the QB candidates to step up to operate at least competently, given that the Johnson offense has remarkable physical and mental requirements not seen in the RPO shotgun. (So many decisions, so quickly.) I think all three mentioned came out of similar offenses in high school but mostly it is going to be much easier six yards deep with, relatively speaking, all day to make a decision. I am mildly optimistic that within that 10-yard slant, hooks, curl and pick offense, we will have "success" throwing the ball, as defined by completions. I am optimistic that Johnson did leave a roster of football players who can contribute somewhere. And that we will have better luck, within the new parameters, of recruiting QBs, though more than a bit skeptical we'll ever land a Lawrence or Tagovailoa or the like. And that maybe, for a year anyway, a new outlook will result in bigger crowds at Dodd. It kind of goes with any coaching change. Having said all that, what we have so far is a lot of lipstick and tapdancing and it shouldn't be confused. We still have a coach with all of two years experience at a mediocre Temple program, 12 or so jobs in 22 years (did he just leave the motor running?) And why were so many seemingly so lateral in nature? If I am hiring it is a huge red flag to me, that after all that, he still was at Temple. Sorry, Temple, nothing personal. But lastly I am optimistic that, whatever it may have taken, the AD got serious about Johnson's complaints and hired something like 11 more to the football staff. Collins ought to send Johnson a check. I am not optimistic he will.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So bringing this back to a discussion. My only concern is what has been Tech's issue for as many years as I have been going to games....since 1969. Defense. CPJ realized this and his offense was the way to control it. When the other teams only had 10 possessions we could limit the scores. Now when we play inferior competition we can play some defense but let's be frank here for this season. Clemson and Georgia have some very high power offense. They will probably score on 50% of their possessions against us. If we give them 18 possessions....well we will need to score 72 points to win.

First I hope we don't get crushed by Clemson in game 1 because that could seriously impact a team being driven by hype. Maybe Collins will figure out a way to get the defense better. But I expect the offense to struggle in many games. So that being said I see us flat out losing to Georgia and Clemson. UVA will be better than us and at UVA. Loss. NC State may be another loss. As I said earlier, Tech has always done better when we were a run first team. Let's hope we stay that way.
That opener might be the worst of both worlds. Clemson will come out with a rebuilt defense, but gets lucky with a rebuilt Tech offense that plays into their hands. Worse, they come out of the gate with what might be the best offense in college football. It could get ugly quick because Clemson is determined to make it back to the NC game. (And apropos to Alabama, note that Clemson again in 2019 kept its coaching staff intact, including the most intense human being on planet earth as DC. His son, a redshirt LB, describes Venables as, well, "real intense.") I want to compete first, and of late we have not done that well against Clemson. I don't see many wins there.

Milwaukee

Banned
That's fair, because yes, I am very much a show-me type and talk is off-putting, and Collins likes to talk. I am mildly optimistic that the new/old offense will make it easier for one of the QB candidates to step up to operate at least competently, given that the Johnson offense has remarkable physical and mental requirements not seen in the RPO shotgun. (So many decisions, so quickly.) I think all three mentioned came out of similar offenses in high school but mostly it is going to be much easier six yards deep with, relatively speaking, all day to make a decision. I am mildly optimistic that within that 10-yard slant, hooks, curl and pick offense, we will have "success" throwing the ball, as defined by completions. I am optimistic that Johnson did leave a roster of football players who can contribute somewhere. And that we will have better luck, within the new parameters, of recruiting QBs, though more than a bit skeptical we'll ever land a Lawrence or Tagovailoa or the like. And that maybe, for a year anyway, a new outlook will result in bigger crowds at Dodd. It kind of goes with any coaching change. Having said all that, what we have so far is a lot of lipstick and tapdancing and it shouldn't be confused. We still have a coach with all of two years experience at a mediocre Temple program, 12 or so jobs in 22 years (did he just leave the motor running?) And why were so many seemingly so lateral in nature? If I am hiring it is a huge red flag to me, that after all that, he still was at Temple. Sorry, Temple, nothing personal. But lastly I am optimistic that, whatever it may have taken, the AD got serious about Johnson's complaints and hired something like 11 more to the football staff. Collins ought to send Johnson a check. I am not optimistic he will.

Not only are you oddly negative, but you're delusional.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
That opener might be the worst of both worlds. Clemson will come out with a rebuilt defense, but gets lucky with a rebuilt Tech offense that plays into their hands. Worse, they come out of the gate with what might be the best offense in college football. It could get ugly quick because Clemson is determined to make it back to the NC game. (And apropos to Alabama, note that Clemson again in 2019 kept its coaching staff intact, including the most intense human being on planet earth as DC. His son, a redshirt LB, describes Venables as, well, "real intense.") I want to compete first, and of late we have not done that well against Clemson. I don't see many wins there.

I feel like the opener is a no-lose scenario for us. NOBODY expects us to win. And I would bet big money that very few people outside the GT community expect us to even be competitive at all. Especially given the new coaching staff and “having players for a spread option offense” (I say that in quotes because it’s a popular fallacy that the kids we have can only play that style of football). So if we get crushed then that’s what everyone expects. If we compete at all then we’ve gone beyond most of the expectations people outside our community have for us. And if we win... heaven forbid the game is actually close or we keep it close for three quarters then we blow away expectations of the outside world and people really start talking about GT as a potential #biGTime program that kids will come to and we start giving the top teams a run for their money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
We gave up 49 points on 12 possessions to Clemson last year with an option offense. Duke gave up 35 on 14 possessions without an option offense. Personally, I’ll take our chances with a group of coaches that know how to coach defense compared to the defense CPJ allowed to sit 12 yards off the ball while the opposing team threw swing passes all the way down the field for a TD.
Not to mention - those DBs playing 12 yards past the LOS would proceed to back pedal

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank you to whoever invented scrolling...

Animal02

Banned
This, and after my encounter with a Temple grad a couple of weeks ago on a job site......my skeptical optimism took a little more of a turn toward skeptical.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
This, and after my encounter with a Temple grad a couple of weeks ago on a job site......my skeptical optimism took a little more of a turn toward skeptical.

After scrolling on Temple’s messages boards some of their crying was highly delusional. As a new coach getting his barring what Collins did was impressive. My only issue is that the offense he brought did not match the QB’s talent at Temple.

Animal02

Banned
After scrolling on Temple’s messages boards some of their crying was highly delusional. As a new coach getting his barring what Collins did was impressive. My only issue is that the offense he brought did not match the QB’s talent at Temple.
Rather comical cosidering the delusional posters here that think everything is now rainbows and unicorns.

Milwaukee

Banned
Rather comical cosidering the delusional posters here that think everything is now rainbows and unicorns.

Vh9cRwtdaQWek.gif

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
That's fair, because yes, I am very much a show-me type and talk is off-putting, and Collins likes to talk. I am mildly optimistic that the new/old offense will make it easier for one of the QB candidates to step up to operate at least competently, given that the Johnson offense has remarkable physical and mental requirements not seen in the RPO shotgun. (So many decisions, so quickly.)...

Good RPO 'Gun QBs have to make a near-instant decision on whether to handoff or pass and then (the good ones) have to roll thru their progression of WRs to find an open one if "X" is covered.

You are literally the Skeptic though so I expect you to tap the brakes a bit here. :p