Tech no. 41 of 65 Power 5 school

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Yes, the system helps even the playing field. But you still have to have players. You can't plug just good high school players into the formula.

I'm glad our dear author has paid attention to our much improved facilities (would have loved for him to take a shot at Georgia, which can't get its act together for an indoor facility, and yet, here's Georgia Tech with a very good indoor area) and our advantageous location in metro Atlanta. I had hoped he would have said something about our former athletes being ready for life aside from professional sports once they're playing days are done. I think what's been done to connect current SAs with future opportunities is a huge selling point.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
NC St is 40, but in the same tier as us. Miss St is mid 20s and one or two tiers above us. Love it or hate it though, the perceptions are based on interviews and feedback from coaches around the country.

I tend to think we should be around 30. People tend to overrated the sec - Ole miss and msu are awful programs who were lifted by the rising tide.
Have to say it has always been my dream to live in and move my family to Starkville, Miss. where the largest employer is the state pen and where the summer sauna makes the rest of the south, save Louisiana maybe, a day in spring sunshine. The good news, though, is that Mississippi is just about last in everything so this helps the average.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
my hope is that we can bring in someone from CPJ's tree.

Also, I know it's been stated around here that CPJ isn't going to coach for too much longer but you have to think if we do well the next 5 years he won't want to leave while he's having fun.
Their offense wouldn't work at this level.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Coach will be around until he doesn't want to be. I'm hoping that will be awhile.

I do think we'll end up getting someone who can run the O when he goes, however. GSU tried something else and regretted it. Beside, I like to watch us play. Conclusive proof that we need to continue.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We were one of 8 teams in a BCS bowl. We finished in the top 10 of the AP and coaches poll. We went to the ACCCG and were a few points from beating the #1 team at the time. We haven't had a losing record or missed a bowl game since the last millennium.

All these arbitrary off season lists that writers come up with to get fans riled up is just noise.

Faulkner475

Georgia Tech Fan
Interesting that Mississippi State ranks higher, when Tech's current bowl streak is comprised of more bowl games than Mississippi State has in their entire program's history. I think Tech is a better job than most people think. Because of the prominence of the in-state rival, a lot of folks regard it as a "stepping stone" job where winning at all is difficult, much less winning at the highest levels. A closer examination reveals that not only is Tech not a stepping stone job (the last three coaches to leave of their own volition took jobs 99% of college coaches would take, regardless of their current job), but winning is not only possible but expected, and there's virtually no ceiling. A coach can win a national championship here. You can't say the same for a good chunk of Power 5 jobs. "Souped up Northwestern" is more than a little insulting.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think cheese summed it up nicely. I do wonder what CPJ would do if a big factory threw lots of $$$ his way. And if we do have a string of seasons similar to last year, the factories will come a callin.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Last time I looked Georgia Tech was the number 7 ranked/rated program in the 65 teams comprising the so called Big 5. Whoever wrote this must have missed the most recent performance level of these programs.

Go Jackets!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another ranking. Yawn. Just win..................................... Now that I got that emotional response out of the way, it is hard for me to take that ranking seriously. We are 41 out of 65, yet we haven't had a losing conference season in forever and have the second longest bowl streak in the nation. Look, I don't think we are top 10, but bottom half? Regardless of this atricle, whether it over-ranked us or dissed us, we will still have to win our games.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think cheese summed it up nicely. I do wonder what CPJ would do if a big factory threw lots of $$$ his way. And if we do have a string of seasons similar to last year, the factories will come a callin.
I'm not sure that the so-called factories want to go option/primarily run. It is a special offense and requires a lot of faith. Either that or, as GT went looking, the offense that gives one the best chance of winning. That's not a slam on the offense as I am a big fan of it, just acknowledging the reality of recruiting, academics, etc. Besides, Urban Meyer has proved one can take Johnson's scheme, run it out of the shotgun, refuse to call it option football for fear it would hurt recruiting, and do very well. Tech is lucky to have him and if luckier still, he will coach a long time, though he has said he doesn't intend to be a lifer in the profession.

Faulkner475

Georgia Tech Fan
Re: Meyer, I'm not so sure he's shied away from referring to his scheme as option based. During his year as a color analyst on ESPN, he'd often say "that's the same triple option play we ran at Florida" and similar things of that nature. Sure, it's out of the gun, and he uses either Smoke routes or downfield passes as the pitch phase, but the nuts and bolts are option based. In addition, it gets overlooked now, but when he came to Florida, there was widespread skepticism as to the viability of his offense in a Power 5 conference. Two national titles and one Sugar Bowl (and Heisman winner) later, it's as if those concerns were never raised. I think the reason the "option offense" tag doesn't hamper his recruiting is, aside from his ridiculous track record of success, he's been at places where it's easier to recruit. Florida's problems both before and after his tenure weren't talent related, and the same is true of Ohio State.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
This list is actually a ranking of the best jobs of the P5 schools not the best programs overall so last years results aren't really relevant. The thread title is a bit disingenuous if you actually read the article.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Re: Meyer, I'm not so sure he's shied away from referring to his scheme as option based. During his year as a color analyst on ESPN, he'd often say "that's the same triple option play we ran at Florida" and similar things of that nature. Sure, it's out of the gun, and he uses either Smoke routes or downfield passes as the pitch phase, but the nuts and bolts are option based. In addition, it gets overlooked now, but when he came to Florida, there was widespread skepticism as to the viability of his offense in a Power 5 conference. Two national titles and one Sugar Bowl (and Heisman winner) later, it's as if those concerns were never raised. I think the reason the "option offense" tag doesn't hamper his recruiting is, aside from his ridiculous track record of success, he's been at places where it's easier to recruit. Florida's problems both before and after his tenure weren't talent related, and the same is true of Ohio State.
Points well taken, but you do have to admire the way Urbane Urban hijacked credit for it. Just a little something he passed on to Johnson.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I pray we never find out. But, who's to say that he hasn't already had overtures during his time at GT?

Sure am glad he's still here.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty fair assessment except I would think our facilities our a little bit better than "satisfactory" right?

Depends on how you judge them. Stadium size isn't good. Relatively new outdoor facility is. And other things like the weight room are good, but somewhat dated at this point.

Look at pictures of Bama's or Oregon's locker room if you want to see why ours is satisfactory.

Another ranking. Yawn. Just win..................................... Now that I got that emotional response out of the way, it is hard for me to take that ranking seriously. We are 41 out of 65, yet we haven't had a losing conference season in forever and have the second longest bowl streak in the nation. Look, I don't think we are top 10, but bottom half? Regardless of this atricle, whether it over-ranked us or dissed us, we will still have to win our games.
Wasn't the basic premise about how attractive the head coaching gig was perceived to be?

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
I pray we never find out. But, who's to say that he hasn't already had overtures during his time at GT?

Sure am glad he's still here.

I always thought Nebraska might be a school that would take a run at Johnson. Their glory days were in a run first system. I didn't hear Johnson's name mentioned when their position opened up, but I didn't really follow their search.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't the basic premise about how attractive the head coaching gig was perceived to be?
yes. And I kind of get it. We like to think it is a great coaching gig anybody would want, but we aren't coaches and don't necessarily appraise as coaches do. Like others I think we were lucky to get Johnson and lucky to have him, even with those warts some critics claim he spouts routinely that I don't necessarily see. Maybe it is just the offense, but I like it. For an idea of how unusual it is, compare GT with a once formidable, august and reputable shining academic/athletic light, UNC Chapel Hill.