Tech no. 41 of 65 Power 5 school

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
It's ranking of jobs according to their criteria.

The central question to file away: If every Power 5 job came open tomorrow, which would be the most desirable? On the other side, which would be least appealing? (And everything in between.)

Though each coach sees things differently -- that's why it's such a subjective, hot-button topic for debate -- the criteria is roughly the same.

The list includes location, administrative stability, support from those bosses, facilities, recruiting base, path to conference titles/playoff, sense of tradition, fervor of fan base, too much fervor from a fan base ...

On Tech:

41. Georgia Tech
In many ways, Georgia Tech is a souped-up Northwestern. It's in the heart of a major metro, one of the best recruiting cities in the country, yet the school's academic standard winds up negating that advantage to some extent. What currently separates the two -- and, heck, maybe Northwestern should take note -- is coach Paul Johnson's option offense. It allows for more system play than reliance on specific athletes' skill sets. It reduces the importance of recruiting on a "star" scale, instead putting the emphasis on fit. Georgia Tech might be second only to Stanford in terms of overcoming admissions with style of play. The facilities are satisfactory. Bobby Dodd Stadium holds up as a midsized venue. The Atlanta skyline off to the south is a nice sight. The Jackets also added an indoor facility in 2011. Georgia Tech's success in the league, despite its handicaps, speaks to just how winnable the ACC -- particularly the Coastal division -- is. What's your excuse, Virginia and North Carolina? Consider that since the ACC went to two divisions, the Yellow Jackets have played in four of the 10 conference title games. (We'll conveniently ignore the 9-6 loss to Wake in 2006. Woof.) The lesson here: If you were tabbed to follow Johnson, you should follow his lead.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
A little low IMHO, but I would have to see the whole list. Sort of ignores that we have historically had a lot of success with our program, and not just with Johnson. We had really good to great seasons under Ross, O'leary, Johnson, and even Gailey's ACC title appearance. Seems a little short cited to just say Tech is a decent job because Johnson has found a way to make his offense work here. We have had a lot of coaches who have been able to make it work here. That speaks to a strong program in general. I would be interested to see where other teams like N.C. State, Maryland, Miss. St. etc rank.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Meh, one dude's opinion.

Lol, you are always dismissive of everyone you disagree with without demonstrating any attempt to honestly evaluate an argument.

What's even more hysterical is that this was 5 ESPN journalists who surveyed dozens of assistant coaches and head coaches in the game; the article series even has non-anonymous quotes in places.

But whatever, I guess it's just "one dude's opinion" because you, Internet poster with a beachhouse, disagrees.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
A little low IMHO, but I would have to see the whole list. Sort of ignores that we have historically had a lot of success with our program, and not just with Johnson. We had really good to great seasons under Ross, O'leary, Johnson, and even Gailey's ACC title appearance. Seems a little short cited to just say Tech is a decent job because Johnson has found a way to make his offense work here. We have had a lot of coaches who have been able to make it work here. That speaks to a strong program in general. I would be interested to see where other teams like N.C. State, Maryland, Miss. St. etc rank.

NC St is 40, but in the same tier as us. Miss St is mid 20s and one or two tiers above us. Love it or hate it though, the perceptions are based on interviews and feedback from coaches around the country.

I tend to think we should be around 30. People tend to overrated the sec - Ole miss and msu are awful programs who were lifted by the rising tide.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Lol, you are always dismissive of everyone you disagree with without demonstrating any attempt to honestly evaluate an argument.

What's even more hysterical is that this was 5 ESPN journalists who surveyed dozens of assistant coaches and head coaches in the game; the article series even has non-anonymous quotes in places.

But whatever, I guess it's just "one dude's opinion" because you, Internet poster with a beachhouse, disagrees.
lol.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think it is a fairly well founded opinion. The only gripe I have, which is repeated here for the 100th time is about recruiting for the spread option helping as if we only recruit for the offense. We should have a D and ST to recruit for too ......

But anyway, I liked the jab at UNC and UVa about not getting their acts together.

As far as ranking job desirability, that depends on the coach and what he wants to represent. If it's money, that's easy as we know salaries. But this article gets more at job satisfaction and environment. I think that CPJ is well fit at GT but someone like Richt wouldn't be a good fit (emphasis on recruiting thugs).

Since most of us on here can't read the article to begin with, how are we to know who many or who contributed to it?

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
It's not an unreasonable position for us. I thought Baylor was rated higher than I'm comfortable with, and I think a school like Carolina or Arizona State are rated too low for my tastes. Interesting read, though.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Hopefully we don't have to bring in a typical coach; my hope is that we can bring in someone from CPJ's tree.

Also, I know it's been stated around here that CPJ isn't going to coach for too much longer but you have to think if we do well the next 5 years he won't want to leave while he's having fun.

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
41. GT
40. NCSU
39. West Virginia

I find it hard to believe that a majority of coaching candidates would choose the West Virginia job over GT or NC State.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Very back-handed "compliments" towards us in that write-up. Somehow the fact that we win means the division is "very winnable"? I tend to think we are just a good team and program, who's success is more a reflection of how good we are versus how bad our competition is. And what's with the random "woof" thrown in there? Looks like ESPN let Pollock near a keyboard again.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
If you're interested to see the whole list it was posted on Reddit a few days ago
Tiers 1-4 (didn't label these for me to see): Texas, Alabama, USC, Ohio State, Florida, LSU, FSU, uga, Oklahoma, ND, Oregon, Texas A&M, Auburn, Michigan, Tennessee, Clemson, Penn St, UCLA, South Carolina, Michigan State, Nebraska, Arkansas, Miami, Wisconsin

Tier 5 ("Upstarts"): Washington, Oklahoma St, ASU, Baylor, Louisville, Stanford, TCU, Ole Miss

Tier 6 ("Crossroads" - some with future promise, some fading): VT, Miss State, Mizzou, UNC, Arizona, Iowa, WVU, NCST, GT

Tier 7 ("Underdogs"): Cal, Pitt, Maryland, Texas Tech, Kentucky, Utah

Tier 8: Illinois, Minnesota, Oregon St, UVA, Kansas St, Rutgers

Tier 9: Nothwestern, Colorado, BC, Syracuse, Duke, Vandy, Indiana, Purdue

Tier 10: Washington St, Kansas, Iowa State, Wake Forest