Article Tech hosts Gardner-Webb Monday night

• Highlight

Tech hosts Gardner-Webb Monday night

Georgia Tech freshman forward Khalid Moore (photo courtesy of ramblinwreck.com)

Finals week has concluded and it is time to get back to business on the court for Coach Pastner’s Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. Coach’s crew will get back into the swing of things on Monday evening against Big South opponent Gardner-Webb.

The Runnin’ Bulldogs out of Boiling Springs, NC come into Monday night’s game with a 7-5 record and winners of 5 in a row. Two of those wins are a against non-D1 opponents, while the other three are against teams that rate 328 or worse in KenPom.

Gardner-Webb is led by sixth year head coach Tim Craft. This is Coach Craft’s first stint as a Division 1 coach and he has compiled a record of 95-83. He was an assistant coach at the program under Rick Scruggs in the early 2000’s as well. He has served as an assistant at Auburn and East Carolina (not ECU). He is the program’s third head coach since they joined D-1 in 2002-03, and he was preceded by current Ohio State head coach Chris Holtmann.

Gardner-Webb is led by two dynamic scoring guards, senior David Efianayi and freshman Jose Perez. Efianayi owns over 1,300 career points and is currently on pace to set a career high for triples made in a season. He is averaging 17.2 points per game and shooting 42% from three on the season. In his last three contests however, he is only connecting at a 31% clip. He has scored in double figures every game this season and has had 20 or more five times.

Perez, a 6’5 wing out of the Bronx, is also averaging 17.2 points per game. He has been named the Big South freshman of the week twice and recorded Gardner-Webb’s first triple double in nearly 20 years earlier this season. He had exactly one scholarship offer out of high school that I could find. Over his last five games, Perez is averaging 18.4 points, 6.4 rebounds, 4.2 assists, 1.8 steals and shooting 53% from behind the arc. Regardless of competition, that is really impressive.

A couple of additional players that should be mentioned are Nate Johnson and DJ Laster. Johnson, a 6’4 RS sophomore guard, is averaging 11.3 points per game. He has kind of burst onto the scene this year. He is shooting 42.6% from three and has an effective field goal percentage of 63% on the season.

Laster, an undersized forward, also averages double figures at 11.6 points per game, he is also good for about 5 rebounds. He is the only player on the roster taller than 6’6 that plays more than 12 minutes per game.

Gardner-Webb is an interesting team. While their numbers have certainly been impacted by the level of competition they have played, they have also played VCU, VPI and Furman. They are currently 291st in the country in tempo (KenPom) while being a top 50 team in points per game at 82.2. They do not have one particular player who dominates on the glass, but they are a very good rebounding team, ranking 23rd in nation in total rebounds.

This game will again give Georgia Tech an opportunity to flex their perimeter defense muscles as the Bulldogs rank 27th in triples made and 29th in the country at 39%

Make no mistake, Craft will have this team ready to play and Georgia Tech has a long history of playing poorly after finals week. During his time in Boiling Springs his program is 1-3 against the ACC. The win was on a neutral court against Clemson in 2014-15.  He also owns a win at Purdue (same season) and a win at Nebraska in 2016. This year they lost to Furman on the road by only two points in overtime.

To make a long story short, this is not a team the Yellow Jackets can afford to take lightly.

Last edited:

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Nice overview. As you pointed out perimeter defense is key and hopefully will be enough to win

I will be curious to see how much run Moore gets along with Cole And how much more we run the 3 out set with Moses. I also hope we work on getting Banks the ball on the roll.

Win with D and work on O

slugboy

Staff member
Thanks a ton for this.

I haven’t watched Gardner Webb play. I looked at KenPom, which isn’t a substitute for knowing what the teams are really like. GT clocks in at number 68 (+9.9). Gardner Webb is number 210 (-3.87). The difference between us and Gardner Webb is less than the difference between Duke and us, even though there are a lot more teams between us and Gardner Webb than between Duke and us.

(Side topic: beginners guide to KenPom https://fansided.com/2017/11/08/ken-pomeroy-rankings-guide/)

We’re better than I would have expected, but that’s because our defense is saving us. We’re 10th in defensive efficiency, but 207th in offensive efficiency. We’re also unlucky.

It looks like their offense isn’t good (but better than ours), while their defense is atrocious.

Still not enough for us to take them lightly. Until we can start scoring in bunches, we won’t separate from the pack.

I’m thinking a low scoring game?

I looked at the Sagarin ratings too (we rank 64, Gardner Webb is 210). Sagarin’s predictor seems to think we win by 12.

I missed our last game. Are we attacking the basket more? Is our 3 point shooting improving?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I am hoping to watch their recent game against Kennesaw St tomorrow morning. Going to be able to provide some comments after that.

This Peraza kid is really intriguing to me. Big wing who does it all. Feels like a diamond in the rough.

Low tempo plus high scoring to me says efficiency though they aren’t great there either, at least according to KenPom.

Hope to provide a bit more after I put my eyes on them

ETA: Nevermind, all their games are on ESPN+, which I do not have.

Last edited:

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Good write up. Sounds like they have some shooters. Should be interesting to see how they do against our defense. Hopefully we show up to play.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
The thing in the article that bothers me as it pertains to Tech is Gardner Webb being a good rebounding team cause Tech's rebounding this year has been far from great.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The thing in the article that bothers me as it pertains to Tech is Gardner Webb being a good rebounding team cause Tech's rebounding this year has been far from great.

If it makes you feel better, I think we will easily be the largest team they have played all season.

GT_EE78

Banned
With 6'6 as their tallest, i hope to see some inside production and some inside-out open look threes. just guessing they will have to double in post.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hey, look on the bright side, Gardner Webb does have Marvin Bagley suiting up tonight. How're we expected to challenge that?

... wait, what's that? It's some rando who's previous career-high came against Bob Foster Tech U or some such place?

Oh man ....

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Simply put, Moses Wright needs to sit down. I like the kid, he has an exuberance for the game that I love, but sit down. He just isn’t a good basketball player. I would normally never say that about a kid in public but after seeing his interview during the last game and the “see you next year” comment he threw at Josh O.....

I’m sorry...... no effing way.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Simply put, Moses Wright needs to sit down. I like the kid, he has an exuberance for the game that I love, but sit down. He just isn’t a good basketball player. I would normally never say that about a kid in public but after seeing his interview during the last game and the “see you next year” comment he threw at Josh O.....

I was thinking this also. I’m really confused how he makes any shots he makes because he looks so awkward out there. He looks like a guy playing pick up basketball at the gym who looks like a basketball player but can tell he has hardly ever played before. Watching him try to take his guy off the dribble from the top of the key is so painful.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

You shouldn't drink, watch and post at the same time. Pick any two.