Tech D today!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
After a horrendous start, the D showed up. Excellent game. I hope to see this D next week and the weeks thereafter.

I was laughing all day at those poor idiots holding the "Pitt" sign to block the signals the O and D were sending in. I don't think it helped...
I never could figure out what that was all about. I mean it wasn't like our players, or even our coaches were looking across the field at them. And one time, they seemed to be holding that banner at a totally unproductive angle. Really strange.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Can't be too careful. Miami last year we were dumb and didn't use a dummy signal caller for our signals and they ended up decoding them (ie use a real one and some dummy ones so they don't know which one is calling the real play and which is calling the fake one). I wish I could find the article but coaches send interns to dig through other team's trash and other crazy stuff to try and get an edge. Some teams have insinuated or straight up accused other teams of tapping the communications equipment or hiding microphones. In baseball you have the Cardinals hacking into rivals computers and the Red Sox sending stolen signals into the dugout through Apple watches. I've heard stories at even the high school level that are nuts. Trust no one and don't leave anything unsecured.

Can't be too careful. Miami last year we were dumb and didn't use a dummy signal caller for our signals and they ended up decoding them (ie use a real one and some dummy ones so they don't know which one is calling the real play and which is calling the fake one). I wish I could find the article but coaches send interns to dig through other team's trash and other crazy stuff to try and get an edge. Some teams have insinuated or straight up accused other teams of tapping the communications equipment or hiding microphones. In baseball you have the Cardinals hacking into rivals computers and the Red Sox sending stolen signals into the dugout through Apple watches. I've heard stories at even the high school level that are nuts. Trust no one and don't leave anything unsecured.
Since the only one calling our plays is Johnson, with apparently no consulting with any assistants, it's unlikely that another team could figure out anything in advance of a play.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Here's how Cuse quoted CPJ in post-game presser:
"were were more agressive last 2 games, more stunts, more pressure, our guys are better at that... not huge/not long, but quick and fast.... other than 1st drive where we turned a guy loose, we didn't give up big plays... negative plays make it hard for the offense to go... on the flip side we gave the ball away, jumping offsides, we have 1 snap count its not complicated"​

Now, I think that the take away is that our improved D resulted from changing what we're doing. I'm not sure how one concludes that being "more aggressive" and running "more stunts" and bringing "more pressure" can be translated into doing the same thing that we've been doing. Moreover, I'm not sure how one can conclude that we were able to have the results that we had today if our problem was primarily talent.

In other words, it seems to me that the data of today's good D actually supports what the Roof doubters have been saying more than the Roof-defender narrative.

That being said, the changes were made, and it looks like we might have a competitive D. We'll see when we play a better offense.

good way of stating it. Thanks

we needed to change on D, small scheme and call tweaks to be better

our talent is not THAT bad

hopefully ted keeps these same calls up and scraps 3 man rush and plays less 1/4 1/4 1/2 like he did vs pitt. I saw alot more cover 3 rolls than i have before...and cover 2.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
Defense is giving maximum effort, and the fundamentals are being coached into them. All I can ask for with the current talent level and depth. I appreciate what they are doing. But, I am not convinced that we are ready to play with the "big boys". You saw UT score 17 today against UMASS.
These week to week comparisons are entertaining, but not sure if typical GT logic applies to football. In the last 2 weeks:

#2 OU barely beat Baylor who is absolutely putrid. #25 LSU couldn't really shake Cuse that's probably the worst team in the ACC. Last week #12 K St got sparked by Vandy and we saw what Vandy was really made of yesterday, and another SEC juggernaut #15 Awbarn struggled with Mercer.

Injuries, turnovers, special teams mistakes can swing outcomes greatly in the middle 80% of the Power 5 teams if they're playing anyone with any talent including top FCS teams.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
These week to week comparisons are entertaining, but not sure if typical GT logic applies to football. In the last 2 weeks:

#2 OU barely beat Baylor who is absolutely putrid. #25 LSU couldn't really shake Cuse that's probably the worst team in the ACC. Last week #12 K St got sparked by Vandy and we saw what Vandy was really made of yesterday, and another SEC juggernaut #15 Awbarn struggled with Mercer.

Injuries, turnovers, special teams mistakes can swing outcomes greatly in the middle 80% of the Power 5 teams if they're playing anyone with any talent including top FCS teams.
+1...The week to week comparisons are stupid and worthless. The players aren't robots and these games aren't played in a vacuum. A team can look great one week and then sleep walk thru the next game. More and more it feels like college football is turning in to the NCAA basketball tourney, where you just try to "survive and advance" some games.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I know you may worship Roof on Sundays and all. But, numbers don't lie. I gave the D and Roof some positive feedback, in that they adjusted. But, whatever dude. You can live in your box of delusion.
Not to get into a p*ss*ng match or anything, cause I was really just making a joke. But the use of the word 'facts' in that instance just wasn't accurate. The 'facts' can be found in this thread. Your opinion is that our defense (and more specifically Roof) stinks. That simply isn't a 'fact' as born out by the only facts that matter so far this season. In a third-party review of two positions, I doubt I'd be the one assigned the label "delusional" based on the evidence on the table.

Anyway, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers or re-engage anything that has gone dysfunctional from lack of use, so I'm done.

Jmonty71

Banned
Not to get into a p*ss*ng match or anything, cause I was really just making a joke. But the use of the word 'facts' in that instance just wasn't accurate. The 'facts' can be found in this thread. Your opinion is that our defense (and more specifically Roof) stinks. That simply isn't a 'fact' as born out by the only facts that matter so far this season. In a third-party review of two positions, I doubt I'd be the one assigned the label "delusional" based on the evidence on the table.

Anyway, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers or re-engage anything that has gone dysfunctional from lack of use, so I'm done.
Again... It's whatever.. If you want to say the D looked great on the first series. Go right ahead... We played a very below average Pitt team. Let's get some high quality opponents under the belt. Right now, sadly UT is the best team we've played thus far.

Defense is giving maximum effort, and the fundamentals are being coached into them. All I can ask for with the current talent level and depth. I appreciate what they are doing. But, I am not convinced that we are ready to play with the "big boys". You saw UT score 17 today against UMASS.
You are right. By the end of the year our loss to Tennessee is going to hurt. I think UT will lose five games. That is definitely one we let slip away.

He was very cute too. I'd never seen the dodge of pretending to throw a shovel pass to avoid a sack when the pressure came up. This exploits a clear loophole in the intentional grounding rules, but I don't think there's a way to close it. We would have had at least three more sacks except for DiNucci doing this.
There is a way to close that loophole, but they don't want to. They think allowing the qb to ground the ball without taking a big loss or a big penalty keeps him from getting injured.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I got to thinking about our recent D performance and I think there's more to it then a change in "philosophy" (I hate that use of the word, btw).

We now have 7 DLs including 4 (that's four) DTs who play and are about equally effective. We played that many last year, yes, but the addition of Branch inside and the marked improvement of Glanton and Adams means that we are getting consistent inside pressure throughout the entire game because we can substitute for entire series of plays without seeing any drop-off. That, I think, is part of the equation that has led to better LB play as well; Mitchell and co. are getting more space to operate due to double teams on the DL.

Being more aggressive is part of the story, of course; we had the same situation at UT and didn't perform as well. But I think we are now developing a DL that allows us to be more aggressive because its quality depth is greater. I watched. Pitt seldom pushed us off the LOS and their success decreased as the game went on.

We'll see how this hypothesis tests out directly.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
For everyone unhappy with the first series, watch how often teams score in their first drive against Alabama or Clemson. It happens a lot more than you think.

For everyone's defense, not just ours, I think it's a combination of things. Part of it is just kind of settling in for the defensive players, part of it is the offense is scripted and trying to exploit film tendencies,