Film Study Team Breakdown

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
James Graham has "IT."

It is highly unlikely that he will have the kind of career of Li'l Joe, (an all-time great college player), but his game is looking more and more like #14. Something about how he went up on his toes on that TD to AB while getting creamed just screamed Joe.
Yes he does and ASanders has it in spades.

ABrown is going to be special but Sanders is the man of the future at WR until someone else shows up on campus.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yes he does and ASanders has it in spades.

ABrown is going to be special but Sanders is the man of the future at WR until someone else shows up on campus.
Sanders is very good! I’m surprised we haven’t seen more of Carter, the coaching staff is very high on him. Dixon said he could be special or something to that affect.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I just re-watched the recorded game. On the long UM punt return we had a multitude of players caught inside. (This was a problem with out KO coverage last season.) Harvin took the proper angle to get to the sidelines ahead of the ball carrier but the rest of the pack (in view) ran what my old coach called the "sad circle" (poor angle). On several scrimmage plays this year I have seen an "up" player drift inside while the player behind him fails to cover the outside, therefore letting the ball carrier give us an inside out fake and beat both to the outside. Our DC refers to this as losing leverage. Mason did this to UM pretty successfully. This is inexperience and coaching and hopefully something I hope to see corrected as we progress. It comes from a "hero" mentality where the adjustment to the college level has not yet been accomplished.

Against the UM we saw a lot of really good plays by the D and also a lot of bad ones. We actually played poorly a lot in the open field but much better in the red zone. Fortunately our O gave UM fewer opportunities by driving the ball and this paid off. Now we need to finish those drives into scores. I see progress on both O and D.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
There were some seriously good plays out there--Brown and Sanders catches, the run by Mason to the goal etc while maybe the worst was the terrible angle by Showell on that run (he didn't get much help from the CB either

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Thanks again for this.
On the QB misdirection... yes we all saw the 1st down yardage there by cutting up field but what did you see that JG may have seen? AB holding his block to allow JG to get to the corner?

Ok, i see my grammar got jumbled while trying to multitask.

So like any good runner, he will read his blocker back/ butt. AB gives a muddled block by squaring up the Nickel back or giving him a two way go. Initially, Finley jumps inside of AB which Graham sees and runs to the edge. Finley, quickly disengages AB and gets back outside where he belongs and now we get these results.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Ok, i see my grammar got jumbled while trying to multitask.

So like any good runner, he will read his blocker back/ butt. AB gives a muddled block by squaring up the Nickel back or giving him a two way go. Initially, Finley jumps inside of AB which Graham sees and runs to the edge. Finley, quickly disengages AB and gets back outside where he belongs and now we get these results.
Always follow your blockers butt! If that block his held for just a couple seconds longer that could have been an extra 10 yards or so. I’m not complaining though, AB can get better! He’s only a freshman.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
What a win!!! Here is a few breakdowns on the good and bad from Saturday

Offense

Message board favorite had to be the under center runs.
giphy.gif

Inside Zone: This is an example what Pro-Style Spread mean. Formation your way to success
Our personnel caused an alignment issue for Miami. 11 personnel kept Miami in Nickel. Nickel defense usually set their front (2 DTs in particular) to the hashmark, RB or slot. Here Miami is set to the hash and it leaves our OLine no one to block. If they were more decisive this probably could’ve been a house call. Also a missed block by the TE

giphy.gif

Good job by the OLine, particularly Davis & Quinney with the kick & seal at the 2nd level. JPM showed great vision and burst here

giphy.gif

This is a MAN RUN!!! Breaks 3 tackles within 6yds. This is what has been missing the first 6 weeks

Triple Option
giphy.gif

Quick pitch by Graham. Great move in the option field by Howard giving the defender the dead leg and bursting up field

QB Power:
giphy.gif

It finally worked after 5 weeks!!! Lol. Still not much blocking but the QB ran the correct track and it was a success

QB Misdirection

giphy.gif

Thought this was an excellent playcall. We all screamed “James get up field and get the first down” but i see what he see now why went he outside. Let’s focus on the slot and former GT target Romeo Finley. He absolutely screws up the read by jumping inside and ragdolling AB to get back outside.

James still should’ve got the 1st down

Vertical/Switch Route:
giphy.gif

We have scored on this concept 4/6 weeks i believe. Here is what’s different: Coach P went max protect. Kept the TE in to block and to give to time bomb downfield. Helluva throw by James and even better adjustment by AB on the ball

Room for improvement:
giphy.gif

Our RT & RG did a bad job sorting out the stunt at the top. Imo, James should’ve dumped this to Cottrell as soon his back foot hit. This would’ve went for a big gain. Cottrell also probably should’ve stayed in the pass pro

Defense

Cover 1 blitz
giphy.gif

My type of defense; CHAOS!!! Why not take advantage of a weak QB and an avg QB by applying pressure. Once again, Knight being a playmaker for us. This is how you set the tone for the game.

Tre Swilling
giphy.gif

There is nothing impede the WR both are hand fighting. Both players have a right to the football. Absolute bad call. But i want acknowledge Tre for his short memory. Tre continue to play aggressive and showed why he’s one of the best in the conference
giphy.gif

He ran the route for the WR here

giphy.gif

And he also tackles too. Good day for him imo

Run support:
When our fits and angles get better, we will rise in the rankings and win more games

giphy.gif

You can tell Curry still thinks a lot. Instead of taking a read step to the side of run, he takes multiple false steps up and essentially takes himself out the play. He’s the unblocked defender bc our DT got the double team. He should make the play. Showell is the force defender meaning he the last line defense to outside. He always be on the outer half/left half of the ball carrier and force him back to everyone else. He does the opposite and now we’re off the races. Got to be better here

Effort- Based Defense!!!!
giphy.gif

This is the epitome of that. Quon Griffin had a great day. He went thru not 1 but 2 defenders for the sack

Cov 1 Robber
giphy.gif

This should’ve been a pick. The Robber safety is robbing all crossers, digs, and over routes. He reads it perfectly but doesn’t play the ball. Gotta make these plays if you want to be elite. Also, WRAP UP!!!

Didn’t you plan linebacker? You lose major juice points for not breaking down Charlie Thomas’ as a heat seeking middle on the reverse.

Does anyone not expect Charlie, Quez, and Knight to be well ahead of Curry and BJS in the rotation next year? Those dudes are fast and lay the wood.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Good stuff, thanks. It seems to me on defense that a lot of times our guys are in a position to make a tackle but instead of putting a hat on him and wrapping up, they seem to try to arm tackle and the play goes for extra yards. Is this a fair observation?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Didn’t you plan linebacker? You lose major juice points for not breaking down Charlie Thomas’ as a heat seeking middle on the reverse.

Does anyone not expect Charlie, Quez, and Knight to be well ahead of Curry and BJS in the rotation next year? Those dudes are fast and lay the wood.

I was looking for it. My DVR stopped recording and It wasn’t in the condensed version of the game

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

It was a great hit but after looking at it on the replay (missile is an apt description) it left me a little concerned because he launched into that guy with his head. I hope he doesn't do that again.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
It was a great hit but after looking at it on the replay (missile is an apt description) it left me a little concerned because he launched into that guy with his head. I hope he doesn't do that again.
Fair point. The discipline, speed, and attack angle were impressive. Not leading with head should be a teaching point

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I was looking for it. My DVR stopped recording and It wasn’t in the condensed version of the game
He closed in on the RB so fast. I think he may have gotten a stinger, he was definitely hurting. Back in little league a teammate of mine got a stinger and was freaking out slapping his arm saying he couldn’t move it lol.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I forgot to mention that the first short film was, essentially, the belly series dive that we wore out MSU with in 2014. Glad to see that and other under center running plays return to the playbook.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I’m am. The baby is amazing so far

The gifs are a lot easier than my YT vids since i don’t have to about a baby making noise in the background
Hey! You should have led with this! Congratulations!

Like I told a friend of mine, little kids are the most fun an adult can have. There is nothing funnier then a little kid as they grow up. I can't tell you how many times my son reduced us both to quivering masses of hysterical jelly as he grew up. Have fun!