Film Study Team Breakdown

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
After watching the replay, I realized that Mr. Brown could beat me in the 40 or 100 yard dash while he was sppinning in circles and I was running straight ahead. That even applies to the 18 year old version of me.

Literally laughed out loud.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I enjoy sitting back and thinking about how one of our better Linebackers is a true freshman who was recruited at the QB position. Can you imagine Knight in our old option offense at 230 lbs?!
What’s crazy is only 1 LB getting playing time was actually a LB in high school. We have a high school RB, QB, 2 safeties, and 1 LB.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
After watching the replay, I realized that Mr. Brown could beat me in the 40 or 100 yard dash while he was sppinning in circles and I was running straight ahead. That even applies to the 18 year old version of me.
If I run the 40 I need to stop half way and rest 20 minutes , see no need to run 100 that would be a 2 day run.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I can’t forget this play

Flood concept

Graham has a cannon and Adonicas a really good WR

giphy.gif
NFL caliber throw on the sideline. Assuming the two WR’s were a little close on their routes.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for putting this together and helping a lot of us see in detail the specifics. What did you see as the difference between the first half and the second half in getting the running game going? I recall being pretty disappointed in the running game in the first half, but in the second half we really cranked it up. JP had some great individual efforts in the second half, but even a casual observer like myself could see our OL was more successful in the second half and actual looked overpowering on a few plays. What was the difference?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Thanks! This is a very valuable set of short films.

I agree about Knight, but I don't think Paul could have resisted running him at QB or, depending on how Yates worked out, BB. The guy is a great physical specimen and, apparently, a good young man to boot.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
James Graham has "IT."

It is highly unlikely that he will have the kind of career of Li'l Joe, (an all-time great college player), but his game is looking more and more like #14. Something about how he went up on his toes on that TD to AB while getting creamed just screamed Joe.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Yup, hopefully people are done sleeping in Adonicas. The guy is a full-on playmaker.

This kid has impressed me. He has explosive burst and really good hands.

A play I loved the was slant on 3rd down that was negated by penalty. That was a perfect throw with some heat on it and he snatched it with ease without breaking stride.

Deleted member 2897

This kid has impressed me. He has explosive burst and really good hands.

A play I loved the was slant on 3rd down that was negated by penalty. That was a perfect throw with some heat on it and he snatched it with ease without breaking stride.

The way I have described him from way back when was a more receiver-like Clinton Lynch. An ignored 2-star rated player, but he just has that 'it' factor. He knows where to be, he knows where to go, he's shifty in space. He makes plays. I honestly don't know why he wasn't rated higher in high school - he caught half of Joyner's TDs (he caught 20 TDs in 1 year), and Joyner was a 4-star QB who went to South Carolina (and beat Georgia LOLOLOLOL)...but somehow the attention avoided Sanders.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I love the effort David brings but he is too slow to make even one step in the wrong direction. We have a long way to go but look much better than we did a month ago. A tribute to the hard work of the coaching staff and players to get better. Challenges remain with Pitt, Virginia Tech and UVA. All of them are winnable....and potential losses as well.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I love the effort David brings but he is too slow to make even one step in the wrong direction. We have a long way to go but look much better than we did a month ago. A tribute to the hard work of the coaching staff and players to get better. Challenges remain with Pitt, Virginia Tech and UVA. All of them are winnable....and potential losses as well.

I like the way ibee put it. He just looks to be thinking too much on those plays. Pick a read and go with it. Rather him be right ~50% of the time then always chasing from behind. Needs to trust his teammates will make up for the times he guesses wrong. Then again - maybe im interpreting it wrong.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
James Graham has "IT."

It is highly unlikely that he will have the kind of career of Li'l Joe, (an all-time great college player), but his game is looking more and more like #14. Something about how he went up on his toes on that TD to AB while getting creamed just screamed Joe.

I love this guy and want to see continued progress in these two areas....1) have better situational awareness/knowing where the sticks are. Been a few times where I felt like he could have picked up the first downs and in our games this year, extending drives has been difficult (loved to see the drives against the U, even when scores didn't happen). Getting the D critical rest in the second half was a key and maybe overlooked part of the game. 2) he has completely overthrown several wide open receivers this year. I expect this to continue to get better with time. As an aside, I love how he stays in the pocket. Dude is tough.

WTBS, Lil Joe was not Lil Joe at first. I lookk forward to seeing the development of this kid.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The way I have described him from way back when was a more receiver-like Clinton Lynch. An ignored 2-star rated player, but he just has that 'it' factor. He knows where to be, he knows where to go, he's shifty in space. He makes plays. I honestly don't know why he wasn't rated higher in high school - he caught half of Joyner's TDs (he caught 20 TDs in 1 year), and Joyner was a 4-star QB who went to South Carolina (and beat Georgia LOLOLOLOL)...but somehow the attention avoided Sanders.

Tech has made a living on players like Adonicas for years. Players that are in the shadow of a more heralded teammate who are good ball players in their own right. He will be a fine player for us.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I like the way ibee put it. He just looks to be thinking too much on those plays. Pick a read and go with it. Rather him be right ~50% of the time then always chasing from behind. Needs to trust his teammates will make up for the times he guesses wrong. Then again - maybe im interpreting it wrong.

Spoiled by years of watching Daryl Smith, KMike Hall, Phillip Wheeler, etc. who were just so instinctive and seemingly never took a wrong step. Ted Roof was the same way on the old Black Watch, he wasn't the fastest guy but he just took perfect angles to the ball carrier and woe betide a runner attempting a cutback with him filling the lane.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
@ilovetheoption or @steebu can chime in but i believe AB messed the spacing up.

The flat should be 2-3yds
out 7-10
comeback should 15 back to 12

Full disclosure: I only saw up to the strip sack, waiting on GT Bob to get the game up to watch in it's entirety.

If AB is the slot running the out, then yeah, it looks like he messed up his spacing ... but I learned Flood with Z running a "Go". It also feels like that ball needs to have come out sooner ... maybe AB started adjusting his route because the ball hadn't come out, yet? It's hard to tell since the camera isn't showing the downfield area until JG throws it.

One really, really good thing to note: the motion man running the flat "looked" open for a split second but the LB recognizes the flat and jumps it. If JG had thrown it to the flat it would've been a pick and possibly a pick-6. I think the pass is incomplete but from a learning perspective the play is a huge win because young QB's have a tendency to throw the safe checkdown, which in this case would've been a disaster.

Hey @Ibeeballin would you care to do a midseason defense summary? I know with a new kiddo it's tough, but I'd love to see some interesting comparisons to last year and this year. No need to put up gifs if it's too much work, I don't mind reading a wall of text. There are some obvious things, like playing more press and tackling feels WAY better. Still, a ton of things to improve on, particularly angles. For some reason it feels like our run defense is like OU's this year: they either stuff the runner for a 1 yard gain or he busts it for 15.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Thanks again for this.
On the QB misdirection... yes we all saw the 1st down yardage there by cutting up field but what did you see that JG may have seen? AB holding his block to allow JG to get to the corner?