Teacher Salaries

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The murder rate is quite a bit higher in Chitown.
The murder rate is actually pretty similar. In 2015, Atlanta had a higher murder rate than Chicago. I seem to remember for a number of years that Atlanta was the Murder Capital of the US. You have to remember how big Chicago is, and how isolated much of the gun violence is. It's no more or less dangerous than any other city. There are areas where you can walk alone at night, and places you shouldn't go during the middle of the day, same as any city.

8247121-720x0-c-default.png

Chicago-Murder-Rate-in-Context-2015-2016_02-1024x0-c-default.png

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Wish we could be back as a tax credit ALL of the various supplies and learning tools my wife has purchased and used over the last decade. $250 a year MIGHT cover it on average , but only because she is frugal and we have "fixed" many that wear out, etc.

LOL!! Before my wife retired we spent on average $7-800.00/year and that was just for her classroom. Probably spent triple that on her kids. Money well spent and never worried about.

Deleted member 2897

The murder rate is actually pretty similar. In 2015, Atlanta had a higher murder rate than Chicago. I seem to remember for a number of years that Atlanta was the Murder Capital of the US. You have to remember how big Chicago is, and how isolated much of the gun violence is. It's no more or less dangerous than any other city. There are areas where you can walk alone at night, and places you shouldn't go during the middle of the day, same as any city.

8247121-720x0-c-default.png

Chicago-Murder-Rate-in-Context-2015-2016_02-1024x0-c-default.png

Right, the rates are similar (which is extremely important, so don't get me wrong here), but the reality is the city borders. Chicago's population is 7x that of Atlanta. So there are 7x as many murders in Chicago proper as there are in Atlanta.

North Charleston SC has a murder rate in 2017 of about 35, which would place it near the very top of this list. But its only actually 35, whereas there are like 700 murders in Chicago. By murder RATE, North Charleston is 20% more dangerous than Chicago. But honestly where do you think you have a higher chance getting caught up in a gun battle, one where there are 35 murders or one where there are 700? Sure, in both cases its isolated areas, but the 'isolated areas' are much much more substantial in Chicago.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Right, the rates are similar (which is extremely important, so don't get me wrong here), but the reality is the city borders. Chicago's population is 7x that of Atlanta. So there are 7x as many murders in Chicago proper as there are in Atlanta.

North Charleston SC has a murder rate in 2017 of about 35, which would place it near the very top of this list. But its only actually 35, whereas there are like 700 murders in Chicago. By murder RATE, North Charleston is 20% more dangerous than Chicago. But honestly where do you think you have a higher chance getting caught up in a gun battle, one where there are 35 murders or one where there are 700? Sure, in both cases its isolated areas, but the 'isolated areas' are much much more substantial in Chicago.
The gun violence is fairly isolated in Chicago, so depending on how big (area-wise) North Charleston is, I'd say more likely in N. Charleston (knowing North Charleston is very different than Charleston). Just as the general population doesn't frequent the areas of North Charleston (or Atlanta) that are dangerous, so the same goes for Chicago. Yes, since Chicago is a huge city (area-wise) there are more areas that are dangerous. However, most of the population in Chicago don't go into those areas. I believe I read somewhere that 86% of the murders in Chicago last year occurred in the same geographical area (West Chicago-area and South-side).

upload_2017-12-15_9-28-35.png

If you note, there have been 0 murders in downtown Chicago this year. This is where most visitors would be. I feel safer in Chicago that I did parking for some Braves games at Fulton-County stadium (parking south of the stadium).

The south-side of Chicago and West Chicago area are areas that only people who live there and those looking for something illicit would go into. Most of these murders are gang-related or drug-related. Chicago is on pace to have 150 less murders in 2017 than in 2016.

However, let's not kid ourselves, cities can be dangerous places if you don't know where to go and not to go. The neighborhoods where the majority of the violence is would never be seen by a visitor. Chicago is quite safe to visit.

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The gun violence is fairly isolated in Chicago, so depending on how big (area-wise) North Charleston is, I'd say more likely in N. Charleston (knowing North Charleston is very different than Charleston). Just as the general population doesn't frequent the areas of North Charleston (or Atlanta) that are dangerous, so the same goes for Chicago. Yes, since Chicago is a huge city (area-wise) there are more areas that are dangerous. However, most of the population in Chicago don't go into those areas. I believe I read somewhere that 86% of the murders in Chicago last year occurred in the same geographical area.

View attachment 3184

If you note, there have been 0 murders in downtown Chicago this year. This is where most visitors would be. I feel safer in Chicago that I did parking for some Braves games at Fulton-County stadium (parking south of the stadium).

The south-side of Chicago and West Chicago area are areas that only people who live there and those looking for something illicit would go into. Most of these murders are gang-related or drug-related. Chicago is on pace to have 150 less murders in 2017 than in 2016. However, let's not kid ourselves, cities can be dangerous places if you don't know where to go and not to go.

God help the tourist that wanders into a "bad" area. In Charleston you can probably exit a similar type area a bit quicker than the same in Chi town.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
God help the tourist that wanders into a "bad" area. In Charleston you can probably exit a similar type area a bit quicker than the same in Chi town.

almost all of the "bad" areas in chicago are neighborhoods and not business areas similar to bankhead. you know when you are there. only area downtown that is sketchy is lower wacker and that too is almost exclusively residential.

Also take everything forensic buzz takes into account with a grain of salt as the area his kids go to school isnt on this map (Where i grew up is) and as you can tell by the death locaitons, the north shore (where he is from) is almost entierly white people and the southside is more mixed, but still predominately white as chicago city limites are ~40% white. Average home values north of winetka is 1.08 million dollars so you can guess what kind people live there. Skokie, just south of there and on the map, is around 270k. Along with Libertyville and the rest of northern burbs, its the wealth safe part of chicago

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
almost all of the "bad" areas in chicago are neighborhoods and not business areas similar to bankhead. you know when you are there. only area downtown that is sketchy is lower wacker and that too is almost exclusively residential.

Also take everything forensic buzz takes into account with a grain of salt as the area his kids go to school isnt on this map (Where i grew up is) and as you can tell by the death locaitons, the north shore (where he is from) is almost entierly white people and the southside is more mixed, but still predominately white as chicago city limites are ~40% white. Average home values north of winetka is 1.08 million dollars so you can guess what kind people live there. Skokie, just south of there and on the map, is around 270k. Along with Libertyville and the rest of northern burbs, its the wealth safe part of chicago

Nothing to take with a grain of salt. I already indicated that where I was was more akin to living in Johns Creek or Alpharetta outside Atlanta. However, my recent comments were about the city itself. As you pointed out, most of the dangerous spots in Chicago are residential neighborhoods that any visitor would never get close to (with some exceptions, maybe). It's a city, so it's inherently more dangerous than suburban or rural locations; but, as you pointed out, Atlanta is just as dangerous. My point was that Chicago is no more dangerous than anywhere else.

The Southside areas with the high murder rates are not predominately white. That being said, violence is more about economics and gang-related activity than racial demographics in the Southside.

I've only been in Chicagoland for 6 years.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Nothing to take with a grain of salt. I already indicated that where I was was more akin to living in Johns Creek or Alpharetta outside Atlanta. However, my recent comments were about the city itself. As you pointed out, most of the dangerous spots in Chicago are residential neighborhoods that any visitor would never get close to (with some exceptions, maybe). It's a city, so it's inherently more dangerous than suburban or rural locations; but, as you pointed out, Atlanta is just as dangerous. My point was that Chicago is no more dangerous than anywhere else.

The Southside areas with the high murder rates are not predominately white. That being said, violence is more about economics and gang-related activity than racial demographics in the Southside.

I've only been in Chicagoland for 6 years.
Agree with that. Cisero shows how gangs in Chicago aren't neccesarily race related. Although things there aren't mostly Italian or Irish based

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with that. Cisero shows how gangs in Chicago aren't neccesarily race related. Although things there aren't mostly Italian or Irish based

I also meant predominately in the sense that the lergest demographics are white people in most neighborhoods, but the larger neighborhoods in the south side are almost entirely vacant of white people. It's a population density thing

Deleted member 2897

The biggest threat in Chicago is income and property taxes and unfunded liabilities in local and state government. :)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
when you say rate, that's a per not an absolute number. I guess it could be per household, or per neighborhood, or per day, or per something other than per 100,000 people. :rolleyes:

Well technically rate can measure more than just per capita in comparing both cities. Total number between both, increase year over year, etc. Per capita is one that can apply tho(y)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well technically rate can measure more than just per capita in comparing both cities. Total number between both, increase year over year, etc. Per capita is one that can apply tho(y)
Agreed. My only point was that for all of the press Chicago got last year about the murders (this year, there's 150 less than last year, and that's more than most cities have all year), it's not such a dangerous place to visit.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Agreed. My only point was that for all of the press Chicago got last year about the murders (this year, there's 150 less than last year, and that's more than most cities have all year), it's not such a dangerous place to visit.

I never went through any areas I felt unsafe in when in Chicago for the Notre Dame game. As you say, bad stuff literally happens everywhere. Cities, podunk rural areas. Where populations mass you will certainly find more of everything, good and bad.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Wish we could be back as a tax credit ALL of the various supplies and learning tools my wife has purchased and used over the last decade. $250 a year MIGHT cover it on average , but only because she is frugal and we have "fixed" many that wear out, etc.
Ever taken a hard look at your local school’s budget? In my area there are 1.1 people on the dole per student and the teacher student ratio is 17:1. Your wife probably wouldn’t buying supplies if they took a wire brush to the larded down support ratios. I believe there’s less staff at your local country club that at your local grade school.

Our average teacher salary is $50k and we spend $15,500 per student per year. You can do the math but essentially we spend $4 on “other” for every $1 we spend on the teacher. Someone’s living off the fat while our students are being starved. The only member of the school board clamoring for fiscal accountability is stonewalled each year by those protecting their turf. Politics on a local level is just as insidious as the swamp in DC.

People are delusional regarding what’s going on. They rate the local schools A or B+ in every category yet performance is average statewide in most categories with 2 areas slightly below the line. The politicans have convinced the unwitting masses everything’s beautiful. It is if your kid is in the high achieving classes. If you just want your kid to be educated at a level to make him functional in the general job market, you’re freaking screwed big time.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
No doubt about too many bureaucrats in the education system. Too many BS tests to measure state and federal requirements instead of teaching time.
"Standards" created for grade levels by too many that have never taught anyone. All to make the bureaucrats appear to be doing "something" all the while clamoring for more $.