TaxSlayer Bowl Media

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Good Taxslayer Bowl wrap-up football analysis podcast from Kentucky by ex-UK quarterback Freddie Maggard. Generally respectfully and insightful (give tons of credit to Roof, acknowledges that the dive killed them), with just a little hint of bitching about cut blocking (though acknowledged as totally legal). Football talk starts around 8:00 min mark and ends around 32:00 min mark.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/wp-content/podcast/DepthChartPostBowl.mp3

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Good Taxslayer Bowl wrap-up football analysis podcast from Kentucky by ex-UK quarterback Freddie Maggard. Generally respectfully and insightful (give tons of credit to Roof, acknowledges that the dive killed them), with just a little hint of bitching about cut blocking (though acknowledged as totally legal). Football talk starts around 8:00 min mark and ends around 32:00 min mark.

Good listen. Some takeaways from the UK perspective:
  • Ted Roof did a heck of a job scheming against what UK did. We didn't play bend-don't-break. Our speed rush was driving them nuts. GT won the line of scrimmage on D. The GT D did a good job of disguising blitz's and not blitzing. Tech's D on 1st and 2nd down kept UK from doing what they wanted. Undersized PJ Davis played a heck of a game.
  • The UK QB was the leading rusher, but that was because he was running for his life. We kept them to 30% or so on 3rd down. GT was 118th in the country in sacks and had 2 and 121st in tackles for loss and had 4.
  • Without Mills, UK dominates the offensive stats, but they admitted you can't do that because he played and had his #'s.
  • They understand the difference between a cut block or chop block, but implied (but said they weren't saying it) that GT knew UK was thin on the D line and blocked accordingly. However, they didn't dwell on it.
  • Our going for it on 4th at our own 15 was a "great call by Paul Johnson....Kentucky couldn't stop that".
  • Stated they had 30,000 UK fans at the game, which means there was less than 15,00 GT fans and walk-up/local fans (their numbers for UK attendance).
  • The ACC was the best conference in the country this year.
  • As a bowl opponent, since 1976 GT was the second most difficult team to beat of any of their opponents. They were as tough to prepare for and play against as any team they played this year.

• Ted Roof did a heck of a job scheming against what UK did. We didn't play bend-don't-break. Our speed rush was driving them nuts. GT won the line of scrimmage on D. The GT D did a good job of disguising blitz's and not blitzing. Tech's D on 1st and 2nd down kept UK from doing what they wanted. Undersized PJ Davis played a heck of a game.
  • The UK QB was the leading rusher, but that was because he was running for his life. We kept them to 30% or so on 3rd down. GT was 118th in the country in sacks and had 2 and 121st in tackles for loss and had 4.
  • Without Mills, UK dominates the offensive stats, but they admitted you can't do that because he played and had his #'s.
  • They understand the difference between a cut block or chop block, but implied (but said they weren't saying it) that GT knew UK was thin on the D line and blocked accordingly. However, they didn't dwell on it.
  • Our going for it on 4th at our own 15 was a "great call by Paul Johnson....Kentucky couldn't stop that".
  • Stated they had 30,000 UK fans at the game, which means there was less than 15,00 GT fans and walk-up/local fans (their numbers for UK attendance).
  • As a bowl opponent, since 1976 GT was the second most difficult team to beat of any of their opponents. They were as tough to prepare for and play against as any team they played this year.
Did it say who was the most difficult team for them to beat?

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck

So now they're saying UK fans outnumbered us 2-to-1? Man if I'd known there would be this much debate I would've taken a more serious look around the stadium. My guess is more like 60-40 but again it's so hard to tell because the unanimously-blue Kentuckie fans really stood-out visually so much more compared to our tri-colored contingent. Best perspective would've been from someone sitting in end-zone seats or above in the Bud Light party terrace. Too bad I almost took tickets right behind the band, but ended up with club seats near the 40.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the synopsis. As I pondered elsewhere, why is it that we never read about Army and Navy foes, even AF, whining about cutblocks, yet here it here repeatedly? It gets old.

So now they're saying UK fans outnumbered us 2-to-1? Man if I'd known there would be this much debate I would've taken a more serious look around the stadium. My guess is more like 60-40 but again it's so hard to tell because the unanimously-blue Kentuckie fans really stood-out visually so much more compared to our tri-colored contingent. Best perspective would've been from someone sitting in end-zone seats or above in the Bud Light party terrace. Too bad I almost took tickets right behind the band, but ended up with club seats near the 40.
I think 60-40 was more likely too, but hard to tell for sure. We seemed plenty loud enough.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I mean, I hear what you guys are saying about blending in, and I wasn't at the game (though I was in Ireland), but it easily looked 2/3rd UK fans on TV.

15781156_10106480834871810_50407701167587708_n.jpg

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I mean, I hear what you guys are saying about blending in, and I wasn't at the game (though I was in Ireland), but it easily looked 2/3rd UK fans on TV.
...snip...

So in the first pic, that's showing UK's side and they were definitely in full force on their side.

In the second pic, it really wasn't as bad as this looks and may just look blue-ish because of the seats were mostly blue.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
30 min before the game I was standing with @John in the end zone by the Tech 'T'. At first glance it looked like Kentucky dominated attendance. Then I went section for section, side to side, and counted heads... it was almost 50/50 attendance that way.

So the caveats are, maybe UK filled in more by game time, though we don't have a notoriously early crowd. Also I think there was more true Kentucky blue on our side than yellow/GT fans on their side. Also the end zones were mostly Kentucky, though not super full. I'll go 60/40, meaning 67/33 is not a stretch (i.e., 2:1 that is being debated).

Also three separate dumbasses attended in dawg gear.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
30 min before the game I was standing with @John in the end zone by the Tech 'T'. At first glance it looked like Kentucky dominated attendance. Then I went section for section, side to side, and counted heads... it was almost 50/50 attendance that way.

So the caveats are, maybe UK filled in more by game time, though we don't have a notoriously early crowd. Also I think there was more true Kentucky blue on our side than yellow/GT fans on their side. Also the end zones were mostly Kentucky, though not super full. I'll go 60/40, meaning 67/33 is not a stretch (i.e., 2:1 that is being debated).

Also three separate dumbasses attended in dawg gear.

I was not a math major, but if it was almost 100% on the UK side and 50/50 on the GT side...

Now, in Ireland, I thought it was almost the reverse. GT filled their side with 90+% and also filled about 30+% of the BC side. We were out in full force in Ireland, which I think was a big part of why we were not in Jacksonville. (Not to mention we have had 8 bowl games and 3 ACC championships to travel to in the last 9 years, while UK had not gone to anything of the kind since 2011. We also had a simultaneous home game against UNC. Had Kentucky had a simultaneous basketball game against UNC, I am sure that would have eaten into their numbers as well. And, of course, we just have a much smaller alumni and sidewalk fanbase compared to UK. As CPJ would say, "it is what it is.")

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I was not a math major, but if it was almost 100% on the UK side and 50/50 on the GT side...

Now, in Ireland, I thought it was almost the reverse. GT filled their side with 90+% and also filled about 30+% of the BC side. We were out in full force in Ireland, which I think was a big part of why we were not in Jacksonville. (Not to mention we have had 8 bowl games and 3 ACC championships to travel to in the last 9 years, while UK had not gone to anything of the kind since 2011. We also had a simultaneous home game against UNC. Had Kentucky had a simultaneous basketball game against UNC, I am sure that would have eaten into their numbers as well. And, of course, we just have a much smaller alumni and sidewalk fanbase compared to UK. As CPJ would say, "it is what it is.")
Guess I didn't explain it well. What I mean is, when I looked at the 10 yd line lower section on the GT side, there were as many bodies as the same 10 yd line lower section on the Kentucky side. That's what I tried to eyeball 30 min before the game, given the appearance that Kentucky already outnumbered us. As some are saying, their consistent and better popping blue made it look worse, imo. But I still think they had more than us based on how it filled in after, more UK on our side than GT on theirs, and looking at the end zones.

Agree, we had more GT fans in Ireland than Jacksonville. The bowl game was the first time I can remember that no one from my closer circle of friends attended, for a game of significance. Conversely I knew 10+ people in Ireland.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the synopsis. As I pondered elsewhere, why is it that we never read about Army and Navy foes, even AF, whining about cutblocks, yet here it here repeatedly? It gets old.

My guess is no P5 team wants to look like they have to resort to whining to beat the academies, but they see us doing it and feel it's "beneath" us as a P5 team.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Guess I didn't explain it well. What I mean is, when I looked at the 10 yd line lower section on the GT side, there were as many bodies as the same 10 yd line lower section on the Kentucky side. That's what I tried to eyeball 30 min before the game, given the appearance that Kentucky already outnumbered us. As some are saying, their consistent and better popping blue made it look worse, imo. But I still think they had more than us based on how it filled in after, more UK on our side than GT on theirs, and looking at the end zones.

Agree, we had more GT fans in Ireland than Jacksonville. The bowl game was the first time I can remember that no one from my closer circle of friends attended, for a game of significance. Conversely I knew 10+ people in Ireland.
On tv it looked like we had hardly any fans compared to Kentucky. I did notice that the blue seats on tv sometimes made it look like there were a lot more Kentucky fans than there really was.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I believe it was 2 to 1 or worse . It was mostly GT on the east side between the 20's but UK dominated the other 270 degrees in the stadium and it was almost all blue on the west side goal line to goal line. Outside the stadium before the game it seemed much worse that 2 to 1. As usual GT fans showed up late wearing whatever. Most all UK fans were in their seats early wearing their blues and it really showed up. I was on the 15 yard line midway upon the east side and surrounded by blue.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

15781156_10106480834871810_50407701167587708_n.jpg
This pic includes the section I sat in which was sold through Tech. I saw not one Kentucky person in this section, yet in this pic somehow it looks blue.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This pic includes the section I sat in which was sold through Tech. I saw not one Kentucky person in this section, yet in this pic somehow it looks blue.

Its blue because if it is game time or earlier the GT fans as usual have not arrived yet. After the game the east section 20 yard line to 20 yard line was almost all GT as the fans watched the post game stuff. However the rest of the stadium was previously occupied by mostly UK fans. I believe it was easily 2 to 1 .

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck

I like these guys... very rational (the older guy), respectful, realistic... and pleasant to listen to. Do we have Tech podcasts like this?