Talking Heads in clempson radio

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Ok I get your UNC argument for their D but not the UGA one. Are you saying Clemson's D is good because Georgia scored on busted plays or something?
Also, the UNC game was a 2 score game in the 4th so it's not like Clemson had their scrubs in for the entire 2nd half.

The biggest point I was making was simply that the ranking is computer generated and opponent adjusted.

On georgie, I was saying that I think there's something squirrely going on when a game turns so dramatically from the 1st half to the second. I'm not saying CU was playing only scrubs, but I suspect that they were playing more back-ups then they would if it were closer. Now, it may be that CU's D is like our O has been in the past. Very good against lesser opponents and susceptible to stronger ones. However, I think their D deserves some respect.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
This radio guy buzz_wiser and I are talking about knows a ton about everything sports related. His two favorite coaches are Bill Snyder and PJ. He gets under the Clemson fan's skin on their flagship station with his love for PJ.
Ah, well okay then :)

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Unless we are behind I don't think we see the no huddle. If we are able to score at a regular (slow tortuous) pace, we want to shorten the game if we are ahead. Keep the D off the field. If we are tied, maybe the last drive if our O hasn't been effective all day, but then score with little time on the clock.

If we go to OT, then I agree no-huddle would be a great option!

Perhaps, but I'm thinking that with Clemson's defense being as aggressive as they are, they'll try to jump our snap count so we may need to find a way to keep them honest and one way to do that is with the no huddle. And by the way, just because we go no huddle, it doesn't mean we have to go "fast break," just that we have to make them guess more as to when we may go into our actual play call. This could keep them more off guard, and, potentially, tire out their defense even more.

Ugasux

Georgia Tech Fan
Walt Deptula knows more about our team than any talking head in Atlanta radio. He is on 105.5 out of Greenville at 3:00 every weekday. Very smart dude and he does not take any sec crap either.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Walt Deptula knows more about our team than any talking head in Atlanta radio. He is on 105.5 out of Greenville at 3:00 every weekday. Very smart dude and he does not take any sec crap either.
I love Walt. Just FYI, he said JT should have started last year before the season started. He also talked up Gurley when everyone thought Marshall was gonna be the Shiz. He says Chub will make everyone forget about Gurley. I didn't hear it, but he said someone on our team will smash our sack record by the time they're done. Assuming Freeman.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Perhaps, but I'm thinking that with Clemson's defense being as aggressive as they are, they'll try to jump our snap count so we may need to find a way to keep them honest and one way to do that is with the no huddle. And by the way, just because we go no huddle, it doesn't mean we have to go "fast break," just that we have to make them guess more as to when we may go into our actual play call. This could keep them more off guard, and, potentially, tire out their defense even more.
What are the odds that they will actually get called for an offsides penalty this year for lining up between Freddie and JT?

slugboy

Staff member
Just looked at the FEI ratings over at Football Outsiders. Clemson's Offense is side by side with Georgia Southern. Clemson's defense is side-by-side with Virginia Tech, and in the same ballpark as Duke and UVA. Overall, it rates us a little better than them, but Cole Stout will make a difference in those scores.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying an unbiased look says their offense and defense are in the same ballpark as competitors we've seen. I'm not saying it's a good matchup for us--Georgia Southern's offense sure gave us fits, and I wouldn't be surprised to see explosive plays several times on Saturday.

Overall, Clemson's about the same as Miami. Of course, another source (Sagarin) likes Clemson much better than us. But, I think they're in the Miami ballpark. That's what I'm expecting on Saturday.