Take that 680 the dwag.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Uga is the State university, and they have a Journalism school that pumps out folks that are in media.

We’re always going to be second fiddle when it comes to coverage.

I get zero of my GT fix/info from local TV, radio, or the AJC, and I’m certainly not going to get hung up on comparing GT to Uga when it comes to those outlets.

My point is that the “Home of the Dawgs” is a talk radio station, not a sports radio station. If we were able to work out a similar deal with a different talk radio station, I would make a switch. I’m not interested in listening to sports radio all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
...Long story long, there's no need to kiss these local jokers' butts.
I totally get not caring what the 680 morning crew thinks of you. (They're nimrods). However, you want at least a couple of local sports people to write some good press on you.

I hear this all the time: "They're all UGA grads, they won't write anything nice about us". Well, some of them are Florida or Auburn grads who wouldn't mind writing something nice about Tech instead of having to write something about UGA. They aren't mostly UGA grads.
I hear this all the time: "Coach ABC at <insert school name here> doesn't like us so we can't recruit any of his players".

There should be a few reporters and coaches who think "CPJ is my guy". I don't hear those stories.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I totally get not caring what the 680 morning crew thinks of you. (They're nimrods). However, you want at least a couple of local sports people to write some good press on you.

I hear this all the time: "They're all UGA grads, they won't write anything nice about us". Well, some of them are Florida or Auburn grads who wouldn't mind writing something nice about Tech instead of having to write something about UGA. They aren't mostly UGA grads.
I hear this all the time: "Coach ABC at <insert school name here> doesn't like us so we can't recruit any of his players".

There should be a few reporters and coaches who think "CPJ is my guy". I don't hear those stories.

I hear you and agree it'd be nice to have a guy like that in your pocket. It just doesn't rise to the level of something I worry much about. Jmho though.

IIUC, there's a couple of CPJ sports radio-type guys but they're all outside the city.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Mmm it’s funny you guys see this as a problem, because I know four sidewalk fans who became fans because of Paul and his no nonsense demeanor about everything from running the ball to the media. My parents are mutts and they both thought what Paul said was hilarious. Folks don’t like the media and they love when someone puts them in their place. You could argue that’s why Agent Orange is our president right now...

I think this is funny. Not sure it’s a big deal either way.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think the new writer for us on the Athletic is a dwag, but she has written some pretty good pieces on us so far. I don't buy the schtick that we can't get good coverage because the media has a bunch of jowja grads, a professional writer shouldn't show their bias

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I listen to a few minutes of 680 during my commute between 6:15 and 7AM when my other station is on commercial break and a few minutes right before noon. And I have for years. They have always touted themselves as the "Official Sportstalk Station of the Dawgs". Today was the very first time they have ever said "...Sportstalk Station of the Jackets and Dawgs". Maybe the AA had a little talk with 680?
On second thought...let's see how they handle this next week. Maybe they're doing this just because it's COFH Week.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
On second thought...let's see how they handle this next week. Maybe they're doing this just because it's COFH Week.
When GT wins on Saturday all the media will be talking about is what UGAG didn't do on Saturday:rolleyes:They wont be talking at all about the great performance of GT that led to the win over UGAG:banghead::vomit:

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I think the new writer for us on the Athletic is a dwag, but she has written some pretty good pieces on us so far. I don't buy the schtick that we can't get good coverage because the media has a bunch of jowja grads, a professional writer shouldn't show their bias
She is and her pieces have been very enjoyable to read.

Schultz is also his usual complementary self towards CPJ and has had some good articles on him this year.

Highly recommend the Athletic tech coverage.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I am not so sure Andy likes him either. Have you ever listened to how Johnson treats him on the radio show? Its like Johnson doesn't realize these people are just trying to do their job (regular media, not the clowns on sports talk). I have zero issue with trashing the sports talk shows, but not making an ally of your daily media contacts is dumb. Dodd used to sit with the media at practice and give them stories.
You know, in an earlier one of the innumerable "It's time to get rid of CPJ!" threads someone said one reason to fire him was that he wasn't paying much attention at practice, but was (semi-quote) "sitting on the side talking to boosters and media people." Now, all of a sudden, probably because we are winning again and Coach has been paying particular attention to QB play, we get the "CPJ has no friends in the media! We don't get good coverage because he isn't friendly!" business again. We need to make up our minds here.

But what am I saying? The folks who want to get rid of Coach will turn 180º in a heartbeat to find some way to complain about him. Personally, as I've said before, I find Coach's attitude toward the media a breath of fresh air. There's no need for anyone to suffer fools and their questions or treat sheer incompetence in coverage with anything less then contempt. And most people are forgetting the flip side of the coin; the questions Coach gets in his pressers are much better then they were when he started. Back then, most of the press guys didn't know enough about what we were doing to ask a competent question. Some still don't; we still get the inevitable "Isn't <their favorite player here> a great one?" questions and the equally inevitable "Will <guy who was hurt> play this week?" But fewer people ask the first one since they know that Coach is a perfectionist and will always evaluate the players on a team basis. And the second one has become a running joke at his pressers, to the frustration of the guy asking the question and the general amusement of the rest.

I think he handles the press just about right; I can't stand cheerleading coaches. We got two of the best on this facing up last Saturday; Bronco is a Coach clone without the wit in his press interactions.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
You know, in an earlier one of the innumerable "It's time to get rid of CPJ!" threads someone said one reason to fire him was that he wasn't paying much attention at practice, but was (semi-quote) "sitting on the side talking to boosters and media people." Now, all of a sudden, probably because we are winning again and Coach has been paying particular attention to QB play, we get the "CPJ has no friends in the media! We don't get good coverage because he isn't friendly!" business again. We need to make up our minds here.

But what am I saying? The folks who want to get rid of Coach will turn 180º in a heartbeat to find some way to complain about him. Personally, as I've said before, I find Coach's attitude toward the media a breath of fresh air. There's no need for anyone to suffer fools and their questions or treat sheer incompetence in coverage with anything less then contempt. And most people are forgetting the flip side of the coin; the questions Coach gets in his pressers are much better then they were when he started. Back then, most of the press guys didn't know enough about what we were doing to ask a competent question. Some still don't; we still get the inevitable "Isn't <their favorite player here> a great one?" questions and the equally inevitable "Will <guy who was hurt> play this week?" But fewer people ask the first one since they know that Coach is a perfectionist and will always evaluate the players on a team basis. And the second one has become a running joke at his pressers, to the frustration of the guy asking the question and the general amusement of the rest.

I think he handles the press just about right; I can't stand cheerleading coaches. We got two of the best on this facing up last Saturday; Bronco is a Coach clone without the wit in his press interactions.
Bronco Mendenhall reminds me of another George Welsh:)

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The party line is that there is nothing systemic that prevents Tech from recruiting at the same level. They do this to mirror the dwag narrative as much as possible. There are several reasons for this:
1) When Tech's recruiting is not up to factory levels, it means that Tech is just a miserable place that no one would choose to go. Reinforces the Tech sux, UGA is a paradise narrative they so cherish.

2) When Tech's recruiting is not up to factory levels, it means that Tech has decided not to compete. That reinforces the dwag narrative that they are the only legit option.

While ,as a sidewalk fan, I wish that some of the recruiting impediments at Tech were relaxed and would allow us to bring in the highest level of recruits, I realize this will probably never happen.

Because of the internet and information explosion, recruiting is much different and in some ways more difficult for Tech than it was even in the GOL years. So my feeling is that it would be stupid to not scheme to overcome those inequalities.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The party line is that there is nothing systemic that prevents Tech from recruiting at the same level. They do this to mirror the dwag narrative as much as possible. There are several reasons for this:
1) When Tech's recruiting is not up to factory levels, it means that Tech is just a miserable place that no one would choose to go. Reinforces the Tech sux, UGA is a paradise narrative they so cherish.

2) When Tech's recruiting is not up to factory levels, it means that Tech has decided not to compete. That reinforces the dwag narrative that they are the only legit option.

While ,as a sidewalk fan, I wish that some of the recruiting impediments at Tech were relaxed and would allow us to bring in the highest level of recruits, I realize this will probably never happen.

Because of the internet and information explosion, recruiting is much different and in some ways more difficult for Tech than it was even in the GOL years. So my feeling is that it would be stupid to not scheme to overcome those inequalities.

Wow, such a refreshingly honest and blunt post from a non-alum fan!! Much appreciated. So many seem to think that what GOL did is easily doable today, and it is NOT. They also think Chan was some mastermind recruiter, when truth be known, he had one year where we got more talent than usual because some kids decided to recruit each other to the ATL.

Ken Suguira is not a "CPJ is my guy" reporter, but he didn't graduate from any of the local journalism factories either, and I think he does a damn good job of covering Tech, both present and past. It's just too bad that he turned CPJ pretty much against him a few years ago by IIRC reporting something prior to CPJ's approval. And he also often asks pretty much inane questions in the press conferences. But he at least covers Tech fairly and IMO objectively.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Ken Suguira is not a "CPJ is my guy" reporter, but he didn't graduate from any of the local journalism factories either, and I think he does a damn good job of covering Tech, both present and past. It's just too bad that he turned CPJ pretty much against him a few years ago by IIRC reporting something prior to CPJ's approval. And he also often asks pretty much inane questions in the press conferences. But he at least covers Tech fairly and IMO objectively.

I have nothing against Ken, but I also understand why CPJ would be cold to him after reporting something he wasn’t supposed to. I like Ken, personally, though.

Saban is brutal to the media and Kirby has instilled a lot of Saban’s practices at ugag. This whole issue has been overblown.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I hear this all the time: "They're all UGA grads, they won't write anything nice about us". Well, some of them are Florida or Auburn grads who wouldn't mind writing something nice about Tech instead of having to write something about UGA. They aren't mostly UGA grads..

That has less to do with anything than anyone thinks. Seriously. It's all about the audience you're writing for. School ties has little do with it. For instance, the guy who covers Georgia for the Chattanooga paper went to Auburn. Now, Chip Towers, who covers Georgia for the AJC, went to Georgia. But Suguira is a Northwestern grad, I believe. Paul Newberry, the AP guy in Atlanta and now I think their sports editor for the Southern region, went to Georgia State. Schultz ... I dunno, somewhere in California, I think? Bradley ... god, who cares? I know he's from Kentucky but I don't know where or care where he went. Same for the Cunningham guy the AJC has moved into Schultz's old role. I think the guy the AJC had on the Tech beat for PJ's first year or two was actually a Harvard grad.

"Coach ABC at <insert school name here> doesn't like us so we can't recruit any of his players".

That happens, but it happens to a lot of schools.

The high school coaches I know who played for PJ say that. There's a few reporters out there too — at his other stops — who would say the same thing. They're out there. They are.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow

What Ken did was go behind CPJ's back to get some injury information from an SID underling that CPJ was not giving.

And the self professed "King of College Football", Chuck Oliver tried to pull a fast one on CPJ in a radio interview on his other show, "Southern Sports Today" by asking a specific question about Taquon Marshall's injury. CPJ didn't take the bait and gave him a rather terse response. Chuck probably needed a lot of butthurt cream after that interview.

So Chuck, by name calls out a couple of our senior players as not being ACC Caliber, as far as our recruiting goes. He then goes on to perpetuate the myth that Tech should be able to recruit as good if not better than big name High Academic Standard Liberal Arts Universities in TN, NC, IN, and CA.