Take that 680 the dwag.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
I listened briefly to 680 yesterday and they almost choked over their words when describing the coach of the year award as the Bobby Dodd COTY award. It's like they were ashamed of it. Just confirmed further why I don't listen regularly.
Which guys? They’re all idiots

slugboy

Staff member
I'll agree that they're mostly not great sports or football analysis or thinking. I've listened to sports talk in Boston and New York before, and they're even more opinionated and blockheaded.

Still, there's no need to punch down on a AM sports station.

It's been 10 years, and I don't know who CPJ has as a friend in the media outside of our own broadcast crew. He doesn't have to suffer a stupid question, but you also don't have to make people dislike you. He could have just said that "we're recruiting great players and the recruiting services aren't rating them as highly as they should" or half a dozen other responses that would have gone over better.

There's a reason this scene was in Bull Durham:

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll agree that they're mostly not great sports or football analysis or thinking. I've listened to sports talk in Boston and New York before, and they're even more opinionated and blockheaded.

Still, there's no need to punch down on a AM sports station.

It's been 10 years, and I don't know who CPJ has as a friend in the media outside of our own broadcast crew. He doesn't have to suffer a stupid question, but you also don't have to make people dislike you. He could have just said that "we're recruiting great players and the recruiting services aren't rating them as highly as they should" or half a dozen other responses that would have gone over better.

There's a reason this scene was in Bull Durham:

I am not so sure Andy likes him either. Have you ever listened to how Johnson treats him on the radio show? Its like Johnson doesn't realize these people are just trying to do their job (regular media, not the clowns on sports talk). I have zero issue with trashing the sports talk shows, but not making an ally of your daily media contacts is dumb. Dodd used to sit with the media at practice and give them stories.

slugboy

Staff member
I am not so sure Andy likes him either. Have you ever listened to how Johnson treats him on the radio show? Its like Johnson doesn't realize these people are just trying to do their job (regular media, not the clowns on sports talk). I have zero issue with trashing the sports talk shows, but not making an ally of your daily media contacts is dumb. Dodd used to sit with the media at practice and give them stories.

If you're going to give someone c**p, it only works if it's the friendly relationship where they give you c**p back. Otherwise, it's like Joe Pesci in Wiseguys.

Andy can't dish it back out, or won't.

Truth

Georgia Tech Fan

Clearly, sensitivity training worked on you!

slugboy

Staff member
Clearly, sensitivity training worked on you!
giphy.gif

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Yeah doesn't really have any media friends. He makes it even harder to get more sidewalk fans

If you're going to give someone c**p, it only works if it's the friendly relationship where they give you c**p back. Otherwise, it's like Joe Pesci in Wiseguys.

Andy can't dish it back out, or won't.
That's what made the Brandon - CPJ team so satisfying. Brandon could take what CPJ threw at him, laugh about it and sometimes throw something back. It's not really CPJ's fault that it doesn't work all that well, with Andy. Andy just comes across as dry and all business like, with very little personality. From what I have heard when listening, he does a great play-by-play job, but interviews are just not his forte, especially with someone like CPJ.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone here know what, if any, are the contractual details of being a school’s “flagship station”? Does 680 pay us to be able to call themselves that? And are they obligated to us in any other ways?

Whatever the case, it doesn’t seem to be doing anything for us. I think radio is still important for drive-time listening. Hopefully Todd agrees and will find us a new “flagship station” who will partner with us to promote GT athletics. Until then, give ‘em hell, Paul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Apparently yesterday 680 was talking about how GT should be recruiting just as well as the dwags. This little info was brought up during Paul Johnson's press conference today that our flagship station was saying this. This is not a direct quote, but Paul responded that 680 should be better than 750. He ended by saying "I didn't know we had a flagship station". :LOL:
I'm sure the whole interview will be up on Youtube soon!
Yeah, CPJ was on his game yesterday not only w that zinger, but he had a quip in context to a question about the spread option (actually a pretty good line of questioning for a change) and CPJ was talking about people saying we couldn’t recruit because of it. He said he was talking to Pastner about a couple of recruits that he (pastner) had recently lost and commented “it’s probably because we run the spread option”

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone here know what, if any, are the contractual details of being a school’s “flagship station”? Does 680 pay us to be able to call themselves that? And are they obligated to us in any other ways?

Whatever the case, it doesn’t seem to be doing anything for us. I think radio is still important for drive-time listening. Hopefully Todd agrees and will find us a new “flagship station” who will partner with us to promote GT athletics. Until then, give ‘em hell, Paul.

I wish GT could switch their football games over to 92.9:cigar:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Folks seem to give these "media" guys way too much credit in terms of building the fanbase.

BSPN guys all seem to love CPJ. All his interactions with them are always enjoyable and informative. And they touch eons more people both nationally and locally.

What TF has that gotten us in terms of fan numbers?

Long story long, there's no need to kiss these local jokers' butts.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

I listen about the Dwags on the radio a lot. Not because I want to listen about them but I like to listen to WSB (95.5 FM/750 AM). It’s mainly news but they have frequent UGA updates and it switches to sports programming when the mutts are playing football or basketball. If the Jackets had a similar situation at another station, I would make a switch. If they do, I don’t know about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I listen about the Dwags on the radio a lot. Not because I want to listen about them but I like to listen to WSB (95.5 FM/750 AM). It’s mainly news but they have frequent UGA updates and it switches to sports programming when the mutts are playing football or basketball. If the Jackets had a similar situation at another station, I would make a switch. If they do, I don’t know about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uga is the State university, and they have a Journalism school that pumps out folks that are in media.

We’re always going to be second fiddle when it comes to coverage.

I get zero of my GT fix/info from local TV, radio, or the AJC, and I’m certainly not going to get hung up on comparing GT to Uga when it comes to those outlets.