Syracuse vs. Georgia Tech

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I don't think anyone can't stop Battle or Brissett. The thing is, Pitt did as good a job as anyone stopping Syracuse as a whole. How? Packed in the zone and didn't challenge Dolezaj or Moyer at the high post when they caught the ball. Zero threat inside.

So, naturally GT should play zone. But our (GT) zone extends more than Pitt's did, so if we go flying at the pump fakes, then Syracuse's guards will get in the middle. Battle and Howard have some of the best floaters I've seen in a while. They can make the tough ones.

If I'm GT, play zone... just less aggressive than we normally do. Don't allow your heels to go beyond the 3-point arc. That'll neutralize any 1-on-1 advantage that Battle, and to a lesser extent Brissett/Howard have over our guards and SF. Battle, Howard and Brissett can get streaky, but only Battle can really get Gabe Devoe streaky.

While we normally run the 1-3-1 zone with the spread you speak to - we also have run a classic 2-3 zone which would be a lot more like the Pitt zone. You could also simply run a packed man like UVA. Any of these roads lead to making Syracuse actually shoot 3's.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Cuse is very athletic, so we need to make them want the 3-point shot in favor of taking the ball inside. And, we need to do a better job rebounding and take care of the ball. We are not playing badly in spite of the last four games. I said when we began that stretch that we could lose all four and still be a decent team.

Deleted member 2897

Cuse is very athletic, so we need to make them want the 3-point shot in favor of taking the ball inside. And, we need to do a better job rebounding and take care of the ball. We are not playing badly in spite of the last four games. I said when we began that stretch that we could lose all four and still be a decent team.

Yes you did, and we've played well indeed. I mean, 2/3rds of Clemson's 3 pointers were in no-man's land. With 15-20 seconds on the shot clock still, they were voluntarily shooting from 5-7 feet behind the arc. And making them. It was obscene.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yeah definitely would pay for one of these shirts. Can’t get them online though. Anyone wanna grab me an XL and ship it? I’ll Venmo you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So the big 3 will go 40 min. Dolezaj, Chukwu and Sibide play the other 80 min.

I would try to plant Josh in the middle of Syracuse's zone. i think he is the player likely to cause the most issues for Syracuse defensively in there. He can take the 15 fter or drive toward the hoop forcing the defense to react.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Add Dolezaj to the 40 minute club. Syracuse has depth at the exact worst position - two true centers. I'd be shocked to see Sibide or Chukwu flex to the 4. I think it's more likely Boeheim 1) uses his timeouts as breathers. Hopefully CJP does not reciprocate. 2) plays a walk-on a couple minutes. Which Syracuse basketball walk-ons could play for Orange against Georgia Tech?

Do we have a press that I've clamored for in other games this year? I mean, even without Syracuse's recent injuries, GT already had the fresher legs.

88gt

Georgia Tech Fan
Anyone have a couple they aren't gonna use by any chance? Was trying to get down for a game before end of season.