Syracuse Round 2 - Saturday 4pm

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Well I'll get things started with my apparently controversial opinion. I'll conservatively say I watched 28+ games each of Syracuse and GT this year, fwiw.

White was on fire, no doubt. Best shooting performance so far this year. The difference in this game vs. the last against GT is the space he was allowed to shoot and release. To me it was largely driven by poor awareness by GT. Today's game White was more open than I remember him in any ACC game this year. We helped too far off of him and were desperately trying to close to no avail. Jax in 1 on 1 could not guard him.

Syracuse was able to get into the lane easier today than at GT, which allowed the step in 3 barrage. Obviously poor timing for Syracuse to connect at this clip, but once they got rolling, we did little to impair their rhythm. Our transition D was nonexistant, exacerbated by turnovers on offense where the Orange could get out and run.

Syracuse is really good at home. They beat Duke, UVA, FSU, Miami, Wake, etc. Only team to beat them in ACC play was Louisville in OT. Losing there is almost to be expected.

At the end of the day this counts as 1 loss, whether by 2 points or 29. If we can swing together a couple ACCT wins, who knows what'll happen next Sunday. Optimistically I hope this helps us recalibrate and play with nothing to lose. I fear we looked slow and out of order today due to the magnitude and pressure of the game.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Well I'll get things started with my apparently controversial opinion. I'll conservatively say I watched 28+ games each of Syracuse and GT this year, fwiw.

White was on fire, no doubt. Best shooting performance so far this year. The difference in this game vs. the last against GT is the space he was allowed to shoot and release. To me it was largely driven by poor awareness by GT. Today's game White was more open than I remember him in any ACC game this year. We helped too far off of him and were desperately trying to close to no avail. Jax in 1 on 1 could not guard him.

Syracuse was able to get into the lane easier today than at GT, which allowed the step in 3 barrage. Poor timing for Syracuse to connect at this clip, but once they got rolling, we did little to impair their rythym. Our transition D was nonexistant, exacerbated by turnovers on offense where the Orange could get out and run.

Syracuse is really good at home. They beat Duke, UVA, FSU, Wake, etc. Only team to beat them in ACC play was Louisville in OT. Losing there is to be expected, and at the end of the day this counts as 1 loss, whether by 2 points or 29.

If we can swing together at least a couple ACCT wins, who knows what'll happen next Sunday. Optimistically I hope this helps us recalibrate and play with nothing to lose. I fear we looked slow and out of order today due to the magnitude and pressure of the game.
I just don't think the team had it in them to deal with the pressure that was on them. To go into a place like that knowing you have to win is a lot to ask. Hopefully a beat down like that lights a fire under them next week. And staying in NY the next few days might be good for them too.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Lammers and Okogie had real solid games, imo, all things considered.

I thought Ben was great, even though we didn't see the points output that one would typically identify as great. 10 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks. Syracuse gave him superstar treatment and doubled and triple-teamed him. He only had 1 turnover in the face of that.

Okogie kept us in the game early. He showed up with the necessary level of energy and toughness needed to win this type of game. 16 points, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block. This kid does not back down and that projects very well to next year with additional grooming and reps in the gym.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Well I guess i have a little more respect for him now after those comments. It sucks we probably won't make the tournament and I'm disappointed but my excitement for GT basketball is back after being gone for 7 years. I think we are on the verge of something big in the next 2-4 years.

slugboy

Staff member
Not that there's any game where we can afford to miss layups, but with Syracuse hitting 3's from way outside the arc, it was a bad day to struggle offensively.
I didn't think we were bad on defense so much as I thought Syracuse was on fire. Heyward, Stevens, and Heath only scored 17 points between them, and 12 of that was Q. When you defend Tech, I think the recipe is "we won't let Lammers and Okogie beat us". We really needed the other guys to step up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It's frustrating to lose by that much but we weren't gonna win that game anyways. We only have ourselves to blame for the loss to NCSU. Win that and we'd have a great shot at getting in. UVA has been on fire lately and is a terrible matchup for us (if we even beat Pitt) but it's probably more winnable than a potential Duke matchup.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I wonder sometimes if we expect too much from a group of guys playing way above expectations every game. I am proud of this team. They had a goal slip from their grasp today and lost some intensity at the end. This is one of my favorite Tech teams ever. They are a good group of young men who gave everything every game. Nuff said.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
One of those games where we gave them some room early and they got confident from 3. After that it didn't matter if we were there or left them alone - they were on a roll. Hard to watch our defense - which has been our strength and calling card - not be what we needed today.

But overall I thought our real issue was on the offensive end today. Zone bothered us and they collapsed on Lammers almost any time he got the ball. Okogie was good but no one else really stepped up. Please bring on the shooters.

Regardless of the disapointment today, been a great season. NIT sounds wonderful to me.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I just don't think the team had it in them to deal with the pressure that was on them. To go into a place like that knowing you have to win is a lot to ask. Hopefully a beat down like that lights a fire under them next week. And staying in NY the next few days might be good for them too.
Not many if any team would have beaten Syracuse today. They shot lights out.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Back in October many of use would have been very happy to make the NIT. To have been talking about the Big Dance has been a nice surprise.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Just witnessed a fantastic victory from my GSU Panthers!!! #StateNeverSouthern @ChasonBaller any thoughts?

Checked the score of GT-CUSE on my phone. What is going on? Seems like we're flat. Cmon jackets, make it a great day!!!
Yeah I was there, it was an awesome and sold out atmosphere! D'marcus Simonds was straight up ballin today! It was like a club that just happened to have basketball being played. Check out the student section/dope dance team:

Big win over the rivals before the Tourny!

If anyone on here has never been, I suggest you go at least once. It is a very different experience than GT

Last edited: