Syracuse Post Game

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 16814
These are NFL odds but I stand behind this is why you have to take the penalty.

So you take the penalty even if you are trying to save timeouts? And even when your defense probably doesn’t have an extra stop left in their tank? OK.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is what I saw we got out coached they play better than we did.

Fact we have a lot of really bad fans, win a game they think we will win the ACC, lose a a game and we won't win another game.
we are 2-1 who thought at the beginning of the season we would be 2-1, 90% thought we would but we would but lose to FSU and win this game.
I have faith in our coaching staff (although this was not a good game for them) I have faith in our players as bad as they did not quit. It's easy to watch a game and tell people I would have done this and not that and second guess the coaches.
Southern Tech brothers are the best.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The issue was we gave ourselves no margin for error not trying the onside kick, or at least a low pooch kick and beat them to the ball.

It mattered not if they scored again. We had to get the ball back. An onside/pooch kick gives you two shots at possession. Kicking deep only gives you one.
I know, but we got them down to a third down play deep in their territory. Stop them on that play, and I think we win.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The issue was we gave ourselves no margin for error not trying the onside kick, or at least a low pooch kick and beat them to the ball.

It mattered not if they scored again. We had to get the ball back. An onside/pooch kick gives you two shots at possession. Kicking deep only gives you one.
Yeah this astounded me. If you don't get the onside kick, buckle down and get a stop. Let them kick the field goal to go up 6, then let HK drive down the field for a TD and the game winning PAT as time expires. We weren't winning this game in OT with a game tying FG anyway. Just one of multiple colossal gameday failures today from a coach who historically has not made that many colossal gameday failures.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Syracuse was simply the better team today. They won the battle on both lines of scrimmage and forced our offense to be one dimensional via the passing game. Our defense simply does not get pressure on opposing QBs. WE haven't had a dominant Defensive lineman since Keon White.

McCord is a good QB regardless what many on this board said prior to the game. He had time to pick out the correct receiver and made accurate throws. Syracuse will have a much harder time if they play a team with a very good DL. Looking at their schedule, wow what an easy path forward. Really only Miami and possibly NCST are really hard games. I have no idea if Cal is any good!

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I can’t remember the last time that the special teams units were our only bright spot! Anyway, enjoy the #23 ranking until Monday afternoon!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This is what I saw we got out coached they play better than we did.

Fact we have a lot of really bad fans, win a game they think we will win the ACC, lose a a game and we won't win another game.
we are 2-1 who thought at the beginning of the season we would be 2-1, 90% thought we would but we would but lose to FSU and win this game.
I have faith in our coaching staff (although this was not a good game for them) I have faith in our players as bad as they did not quit. It's easy to watch a game and tell people I would have done this and not that and second guess the coaches.
Stech, are you drinking again? The defense is awful which puts the offense in a position of having to score more than four touchdowns a game to win. This is a mid tier ACC team with good players here and there but any team in this era of shotgun formations and receivers who can get twenty yards in a blink that cannot get pressure is going to lose a lot of games. That is Tech right now. Syracuse is a good team with an excellent experienced and tested quarterback and talented receivers. It is also a team that struggled to put Ohio away and damn near gave this game right back to Tech on a really dumb middle screen call that almost went awry and a third down conversion to their best player #19. Tech has to beat Louisville and it will not be easy. OK, I am a really bad fan also one who sees things as they are not as I would like them to be.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yeah this astounded me. If you don't get the onside kick, buckle down and get a stop. Let them kick the field goal to go up 6, then let HK drive down the field for a TD and the game winning PAT as time expires. We weren't winning this game in OT with a game tying FG anyway. Just one of multiple colossal gameday failures today from a coach who historically has not made that many colossal gameday failures.
That could go either way. The fact is, we got them down to a third down play. If we stop them there, it's much better than stopping them if we lose the onsides kick, which is a longshot. I can see it either way, but the chances of getting two onsides kicks in a row are slim. And remember, we got them down to third down and long. We had time to simply stop them and get the ball back with timeouts and time to spare, but we didn't.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Well just finished watching. Was going to make a comment that Syracuse was stronger, faster, hungrier and pretty much played better at every position on the field.

I still think that's the case but holy **** was that an absolute idiotic coaching decision not taking the chop block penalty. Somebody is more than welcome to correct me but off the top of my head, that was the single worst coaching decision I've seen Key make. That's going to impact the entire season.

Also, I called it in the chat but but that missed FG by Birr was huge. Good teams cannot miss free points.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I know second guessing after a loss is automatic with any fan base but I’m not sure on this day, against this team, it doesn’t turn out this way 8 out of 10 times. It feels like an overreaction to me.

We are a tired team, mentally and physically. I can’t imagine going to class and carrying a full load of credit hours with all the travel and practice time this team has put in.

I know this, as much as we hate losing this game, the players and coaches hate it worse.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I think declining the penalty was pretty dumb but it wasn't really the main concern of the game. We were down 17 in the 4th quarter of this game because we couldn't run the ball and because McCord was playing extremely well. While I think we have plenty to work on in passing defense, it probably looked worse than it was due to how well he was playing. It felt like we had to make a good play to stop him. I am more concerned with the offense which was pretty bad in this one. Hopefully it didn't provide some kind of blueprint for others going forward.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
So you take the penalty even if you are trying to save timeouts? And even when your defense probably doesn’t have an extra stop left in their tank? OK.
NE, I love your takes on this board but if I near-guaranteed you Haynes F'n King gets the ball with 1:35 and 1 timeout to go 75 yards to win the game or a 50% chance that Haynes F'n King gets the opportunity with 1:50 and 3 timeouts to go 75 yards to win the game, what are you taking? You can simply adjust your pacing and playcalling to accommodate the less time and less timeouts.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Absolutely. Give me 93% change of getting ball back around midfield +- 10 yards with 100 seconds than 33% chance of giving them a first down. I’m taking that every time.
Not every time for me and not this time. Most times, sure, but we were whipped against this team today.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
That could go either way. The fact is, we got them down to a third down play. If we stop them there, it's much better than stopping them if we lose the onsides kick, which is a longshot. I can see it either way, but the chances of getting two onsides kicks in a row are slim. And remember, we got them down to third down and long. We had time to simply stop them and get the ball back with timeouts and time to spare, but we didn't.
But we didn’t give ourselves the chance. So what if we miss it? We still have to get the stop.

To me, in times like that, you put as much in your hands as you can.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Your plan has "colossal" flaws too.
What's the alternative? Kick the ball away, buckle down and get a stop so they punt it? It's the same difference except a field goal no longer ties the game (which we were gonna lose in overtime anyway, let's be real - we needed to make this game as short as we could). That final drive Haynes King was supposed to have was TD or bust.