Syracuse Post Game

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure why we keep running plays that are unsuccessful. The offense never does well when we do that. Stick with the damn successful plays and when you get way ahead you can run some of the ones that suck with the back ups.
Joke Drums GIF by Travis

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure why we keep running plays that are unsuccessful. The offense never does well when we do that. Stick with the damn successful plays and when you get way ahead you can run some of the ones that suck with the back ups.
I think you are on to something. Mods, delete this post within an hour. We wouldn't want opposing teams to be on to our secret formula.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Looks like Key agrees with me. He regrets not burning the timeout before the 2 minute warning. 22 minute mark….Let it go

Key's timeout discussion centered on Syracuse's first down play, during which a pass was bobbled, and then caught for no gain. Took 6-7 seconds off the clock before the two-minute warning. It was not a discussion of taking the penalty after the second down attempt.
If you were referencing an earlier post saying he should have taken a timeout before the penalty play, then yes he is agreeing. But you are replying to @bke1984's post which was referencing the penalty decision, which was a different play. The penalty decision is what the "let it go" post is about.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Those OFF coaches are paid BIG bucks to anticipate problems and come up with solutions--they didn't and we lost (since our def was not going to stop them --they only punted twice).
We lost because the defense couldn’t get stops on 3rd/4th down. Syracuse got first downs effectively on 70% of of their 3rd/4th down opportunities. That is disastrous for a defense and a team.

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
The fact that your buddy only posts on here after a loss is the first clue. He's whisper quiet after wins. Don't feed the trolls...
Rich assessment. How long you been giving psychological profiles? Why am I troll for not agreeing that Kyke Kennard isn't missed or will be missed this season? It's just an opinion. Not agreeing with it doesn’t mean I'm right or your right. Differing thoughts should not scare you. Come on be an adult. Do we have to agree to be civil? If so then this form is not a good place. Name calling because I think you are wrong is very mature buddy. No where in this string of responses have i stopped to your level. Which is ironic you fire an email to me about conduct, but you can call people childish names? Wow

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
When an offense isn't working up to snuff, there's always a discussion about play calling. I understand that and wonder about the play calling myself but perhaps the more important factor in our sputtering is the execution of the plays called. You try to establish a running game, and it isn't working, but when do you abandon it? I've seen running games bog down and then start to work. You could be making a mistake by abandoning it too early. Maybe they were trying to tweak the running game before giving up on it. Looking back, it's easier to see clearly what should have been done and when, because we see what didn't work. What we don't see is whether the other thing would have worked better. Not saying we shouldn't have tried something different, but just saying it's an easier thing to see in retrospect than in the moment. I've thought one aspect should be minimized for another only to see the thing I thought should be abandoned start to work. And though I'm a rank amateur, I'll bet more astute fans have had the same experience.
Oh I agree. The best player to decide is ALWAYS the QB (if he’s capable of identifying what the defense is doing). I don’t know how much flexibility we give King to change the play at the LOS. I’m not saying we do or don’t, just saying I honestly don’t pay enough attention.

And I didn’t watch, primarily because I’ve got a bunch of crap going on that’s preventing it. So I don't know what it was on first down. Maybe it was Syracuse guessing. Maybe it was well disguised run blitzes. Maybe it was whiffed blocks. Maybe it was all of the above.

Honestly, since I’m not the coach it doesn’t matter much. I’ll just watch the next game. If it happens again (unlikely this week, but maybe against Louisville) then I may go look for patterns so I can at least complain intelligently. For now I’m just hoping that we had a perfect storm of our offense stalling for three quarters while our defense couldn’t get off the field. That’s a recipe for a loss, and we nearly had a chance to win anyhow.

I think we are better than we played and I think we will show it in the coming weeks.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Looks like Key agrees with me. He regrets not burning the timeout before the 2 minute warning. 22 minute mark….Let it go

I may be well off base here, but I’m guessing Key doesn’t even know who you are champ, so I don’t think he agrees with you.

But of course he regrets it. We lost! Jesus, what a ridiculous piece of evidence.

The bottom line is it doesn’t matter if that decision is was right or wrong. It’s a bad situation either way given how much our defense was getting dashed.

I don’t know what their coach is thinking, so I won’t pretend to say what they would or wouldn’t do. But I’ll tell you this. If I had the ball at 2nd and 25 and my QB had been dashing the opposing D all day for chunk plays there is no chance I’m running the ball. I’m firing downfield on 2nd down to get the first down and end the game. That was their most likely path to victory. We just chose to make it one play instead of two. And we lost.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I may be well off base here, but I’m guessing Key doesn’t even know who you are champ, so I don’t think he agrees with you.

But of course he regrets it. We lost! Jesus, what a ridiculous piece of evidence.

The bottom line is it doesn’t matter if that decision is was right or wrong. It’s a bad situation either way given how much our defense was getting dashed.

I don’t know what their coach is thinking, so I won’t pretend to say what they would or wouldn’t do. But I’ll tell you this. If I had the ball at 2nd and 25 and my QB had been dashing the opposing D all day for chunk plays there is no chance I’m running the ball. I’m firing downfield on 2nd down to get the first down and end the game. That was their most likely path to victory. We just chose to make it one play instead of two. And we lost.

Someone is defensive. You should let it go…

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

c'mpn dude.

all of our coaches, and some of our players, read this forum religiously, especially after a loss, to get expert advice from us on what to do better next time.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
c'mpn dude.

all of our coaches, and some of our players, read this forum religiously, especially after a loss, to get expert advice from us on what to do better next time.
It was revealed some time back that pretty much the entire coaching staff is on here picking up pointers and vibes. They are anonymous, of course. The only way you tell them apart is they always have a 🐝 in their profile.