Synjyn's long run

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
the mlb blew his assignment. he has the BB in that alignment and should have tackled him.
This. Our guys made some good blocks up front, but this play happened / blew up because they screwed up their LB assignments. All game they were sending the DE for the QB and alternating who took the dive and who scraped from the two LB positions. Both guys scraped this time. That hesitation you saw was the LB thinking he was taking the pitch lane and then "oh snap" remembering he was on the dive. Too late! If you watch, both LBs were headed the same place for about three steps.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This. Our guys made some good blocks up front, but this play happened / blew up because they screwed up their LB assignments. All game they were sending the DE for the QB and alternating who took the dive and who scraped from the two LB positions. Both guys scraped this time. That hesitation you saw was the LB thinking he was taking the pitch lane and then "oh snap" remembering he was on the dive. Too late! If you watch, both LBs were headed the same place for about three steps.
So if the MLB stays home, does Burden light him up? I remember Freddie running free with nobody to hit. It still could have been a big play even if the dude plays his assignment right.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
So if the MLB stays home, does Burden light him up? I remember Freddie running free with nobody to hit. It still could have been a big play even if the dude plays his assignment right.

not necessarily. The C often has S assignment; in fact burden did on the Deon Hill TD run in the 1st Q; in this case I think freddie did have S assignment because he didn't even follow the MLB or step to him; also you don't know as a linemen if JT is keeping to pitch or not...so you have to go to your guy.

If the UVA guy plays his assignment right its a 5-7 yard play I believe. There were 2 unblocked LBs flowing, if the MLB plays it right it slows days down and the other LB can come help....The VT MLB did a great job of this vs Laskey....

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
They typically read it on the run.
If the MLB is staying home and the Tackle can't get to him (which is likely if the Tackle has to outside release the DE), the Center will usually get the MLB.

If the MLB scrapes hard, the Tackle will generally have him.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
not necessarily. The C often has S assignment; in fact burden did on the Deon Hill TD run in the 1st Q; in this case I think freddie did have S assignment because he didn't even follow the MLB or step to him; also you don't know as a linemen if JT is keeping to pitch or not...so you have to go to your guy.

If the UVA guy plays his assignment right its a 5-7 yard play I believe. There were 2 unblocked LBs flowing, if the MLB plays it right it slows days down and the other LB can come help....The VT MLB did a great job of this vs Laskey....
Nevermind, I just saw Stylee's post.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
They typically read it on the run.
If the MLB is staying home and the Tackle can't get to him (which is likely if the Tackle has to outside release the DE), the Center will usually get the MLB.

If the MLB scrapes hard, the Tackle will generally have him.
Therefore, Burden would have blocked the MLB. He was in perfect position leading the way with a clean release.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Therefore, Burden would have blocked the MLB. He was in perfect position leading the way with a clean release.

again not always. It depends on the call. The C often has hard S responsibility. I have no clue what was called, but I can say that burden didn't even shade to the MLB which makes me think we were guessing the play would go outside, which is also why the handoff was so odd looking

Techster

Helluva Engineer
how could Days running behind Shamire ever be stopped in short yardage?

On that play it was actually bad blocking form by Shamire...Shamire is just so big and strong his size and momentum took the DT out of the way long enough for Synjyn to get buy into the next level. You can see Shamire trying to correct himself, but his momentum took him down even though the DT was able to spin out of the block. Shamire should have squared his shoulders perpendicular to the DT's shoulders (think a T) to help with leverage, but lost leverage because he was too high and had a bad angle.

That's the beauty of Shamire, though. He doesn't have to be 100% on form, his blocking radius and size make up for a lot of things smaller linemen can't get away with. That block isn't going in the blocking hall of fame, but it was effective enough to do what it's suppose to do...open space for Synjyn to do his job.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
On that play it was actually bad blocking form by Shamire...Shamire is just so big and strong his size and momentum took the DT out of the way long enough for Synjyn to get buy into the next level. You can see Shamire trying to correct himself, but his momentum took him down even though the DT was able to spin out of the block. Shamire should have squared his shoulders perpendicular to the DT's shoulders (think a T) to help with leverage, but lost leverage because he was too high and had a bad angle.

That's the beauty of Shamire, though. He doesn't have to be 100% on form, his blocking radius and size make up for a lot of things smaller linemen can't get away with. That block isn't going in the blocking hall of fame, but it was effective enough to do what it's suppose to do...open space for Synjyn to do his job.
I agree, it also speaks to the design of our offense with the qb under center, the Bback close behind him in a 3 point stance and wide splits on the OL. The whole purpose, as well all know, is the quick hitting dive. Perfect blocking optional (but preferable.)

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That back side safety was causing a lot of issues on our triple option runs. I would not doubt that CPJ would have changes assignments based on this safety's ability to disrupt plays.

Counters normally would take advantage of a vacating safeties (or even passes on the back side of a play action fake), but the back side DE was going deep versus "shallow over pursing". This caused issues with pulling guards and made counters options difficult. Byerly did a little better on the counter option by allowing the DE to take the pitch and he turned up inside.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That back side safety was causing a lot of issues on our triple option runs. I would not doubt that CPJ would have changes assignments based on this safety's ability to disrupt plays.

Counters normally would take advantage of a vacating safeties (or even passes on the back side of a play action fake), but the back side DE was going deep versus "shallow over pursing". This caused issues with pulling guards and made counters options difficult. Byerly did a little better on the counter option by allowing the DE to take the pitch and he turned up inside.
I think we should just let that backside DE move upfield and block him in the direction he's already going. Then have your qb cut behind him and you still have your spatial relationships preserved for the pitch read. Just hope your pitch back doesn't get mixed up with that backside DE.