Synjyn's long run

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I saw that. It is impossible for us to know without talking to them. It wasn't as smooth as some MESHs, that is for sure. When I saw it live I thought the ball might have gone to the ground.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Did he "take" the ball from JT on the mesh, with JT trying to pull it? It sure did look like it.
I've noticed a for a few games that JT either has missed many mesh reads (if that's the terminology) where the BBack could have gotten at least 5-7 up the middle or it was a pre-determined play to take it outside.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The DE is showing that he is taking the QB. The OLB is hesitating and ends up cross charging. Most "hesitating" OLB end up being a BB give (if the DE is not taking the BB) and are successful 4 yards. I believe JT is riding the mesh and rides a little to long due to the hesitating OLB (also note how fast Days is through the mesh). You have to give when the mesh goes past your front foot and you lose your back side arm out of the mesh. JT back side arm comes out and Days must take the ball.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The DE is showing that he is taking the QB. The OLB is hesitating and ends up cross charging. Most "hesitating" OLB end up being a BB give (if the DE is not taking the BB) and are successful 4 yards. I believe JT is riding the mesh and rides a little to long due to the hesitating OLB (also note how fast Days is through the mesh). You have to give when the mesh goes past your front foot and you lose your back side arm out of the mesh. JT back side arm comes out and Days must take the ball.

This play really shows what speed of execution, something that's 100 fold better this year, does for us. All you have to do is freeze the LB for a milisecond and he's too far out of position to make a play. (See playside OLB #44)

Also, it means we don't have to make great or even good blocks for a play to work. Our LT (not sure who it is) barely gets to the backside OLB, in fact, the OLB does a pretty good job shedding the block. However, Days is through the mesh and past the LOS so fast, the OLB has no shot at him.

Our O is Day(s) and night ahead of last year in terms of speed of execution.

edit: the MLB was flowing to the outside at the snap and ran himself out of position. This, I think, was scheme related and Tenuta's scheme backfired on this play.

edit #2: Watch Shamire on this play! He completely takes the DT in front of him to the right and out of the direct path of Synjyn. Dude made a huge play right here!

Last edited:

Lots of comments during the game from the broadcast team about how good certain individual defenders for UVA were. All America, highly recruited, developing into top notch players. These clips and others seem to me to show players--especially LB's getting totally faked out, blocked out, or just blown by. The analyst mentioned early on that the wide running lanes were being completely abandoned time after time. UVA finally adjusted and increased their pursuit to the edge, but then we passed. In the pregame, there were comments that of all the ACC teams, Virginia would at least play "some defense". The question is: for a pretty good defense, is the ride home after a game like this just agony? Are they completely befuddled? Do they dread seeing it again next year? They gave up 400 yards and we left a bunch of points on the field, I thought.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Lots of comments during the game from the broadcast team about how good certain individual defenders for UVA were. All America, highly recruited, developing into top notch players. These clips and others seem to me to show players--especially LB's getting totally faked out, blocked out, or just blown by. The analyst mentioned early on that the wide running lanes were being completely abandoned time after time. UVA finally adjusted and increased their pursuit to the edge, but then we passed. In the pregame, there were comments that of all the ACC teams, Virginia would at least play "some defense". The question is: for a pretty good defense, is the ride home after a game like this just agony? Are they completely befuddled? Do they dread seeing it again next year? They gave up 400 yards and we left a bunch of points on the field, I thought.

The aggressiveness of the scheme caused the LB to stunt and attack the edge. Our coach adjusted his play calling to attack the middle and zone block (with pulling lineman). UVA has a talented, aggressive and well coached defense. They are much better than average.

We put up some points and moved the ball, but they should be proud of their defense effort against our elite offense.

/

Buzzwax

Georgia Tech Fan
This play really shows what speed of execution, something that's 100 fold better this year, does for us. All you have to do is freeze the LB for a milisecond and he's too far out of position to make a play. (See playside OLB #44)

Also, it means we don't have to make great or even good blocks for a play to work. Our LT (not sure who it is) barely gets to the backside OLB, in fact, the OLB does a pretty good job shedding the block. However, Days is through the mesh and past the LOS so fast, the OLB has no shot at him.

edit: the MLB was flowing to the outside at the snap and ran himself out of position. This, I think, was scheme related and Tenuta's scheme backfired on this play.

edit #2: Watch Shamire on this play! He completely takes the DT in front of him to the right and out of the direct path of Synjyn. Dude made a huge play right here!

THREE UVA players on the play side are unblocked and Days runs right by them all.....

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer

I will "like" this post despite the bad pun. :)