Sugiura: New in '16

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Enjoyed these last year. First up in 2016 is Brandon Adams.
http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2016/06/21/new-in-16-defensive-tackle-brandon-adams/
On what he’ll consider a successful career:

“I want to be able to say that, from the time I walked in to the time I left, I gave 110 percent every workout, every off-the-field activity and I want to be able to say that I took advantage of the educational opportunities, and of course, I want to be able to say I graduated from Georgia Tech. I feel like that would make me proud and make my parents proud.”

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I really like this young man's tape. Shows natural strength and athleticism that is not very common at his position. He has unusually quick reflexes for a lineman his size and also shows a high motor in pursuit of the ball carrier. If his work ethic is good I believe he will have potential to contribute meaningfully early. I think given a few years in a college S&C program and if he can avoid major injuries he could really turn out to be a special player.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It would be hard to dream up a better GT prospect. He plays a position we have traditionally had a hard time recruiting. He already has the size; often our DTs must grow into the role. And then the intangibles: Smart, articulate, great priorities, strong work ethic. Dville says wish we had two. I agree, but I'd like two each year.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Any good defense starts with being able to hold point right there in the middle. This young man will be hard to move out of there. Building a wall is the basic fundamental. If he can make a lot of plays, that will be icing on the cake. You will be surprised how much better our LBs will look if there is a reliable traffic jam in the middle of the LOS every run play. I feel sure he will have good pad level and leverage. He looks like he can chase a little bit too. We will see. One thing from his film that is possibly less obvious to some, was how well he kept his eyes on the play (and reacted accordingly) while scuffling on the interior. That is something guys like Kallon (continues to struggle) and Gotsis (initially struggled) have had trouble with. You have to be able to battle the guy in front of you AND process the action at the same time. It is not that easy. I am optimistic, but I also recognize that he was physically dominant against the guys he was going up against in that film. What will happen when the sledding gets tougher is anybody's guess. There will be a lot more futility a this level. It can frustrate players who are used to having their way. As it is for most players who come to CFB, the ACC level of play will require growth on his part. How much he grows will determine his level of impact. Those kinds of things are really hard to predict.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Rewatched Brashear's tape which I've always found impressive.

He was recruited as a LB but some of what you see of him as a RB in high school is indicative of what makes a good football player in general. On both sides of the ball you can see that he is hard-nosed, strong, physical, instinctual, and has a naturally low center of gravity.

You can also tell that he sees the field well and reacts very quickly to what is happening. His top end speed is obviously lacking but doesn't need to be incredible at LB. You can see from O & D tape his feet are very quick which will allow him to adjust quickly in squaring up to ball carriers, and to navigate the trash. Burst/short area quickness + vision/instinct/decisiveness ='s very fast closing speed. His hips that are plenty fluid for college pass pro, and he looks comfortable defending in space.

He looks like the kind of kid who in the past might be a legit A or B-back recruit for us. However with talent upgrades at those positions his future IMO is clearly on the defensive side of the ball. You like a player though, who can ball out on either side because they instinctively understand football. And you never know when you have to move a guy out of necessity. MLD had similarly versatile film and I called him as an A back based on it. Now he's at WR, and I'm still not sure S wouldn't be his best position.

Brashear will make a great lead blocker on kick off returns and should rock on ST's in general.

Only knock I guess is size, but d/t other attributes per above he plays fast and hits much bigger than his listed size (6-0 205).

alagold

Helluva Engineer

He was recruited as a LB but some of what you see of him as a RB in high school is indicative of what makes a good football player in general. On both sides of the ball you can see that he is hard-nosed, strong, physical, instinctual, and has a naturally low center of gravity.

You can also tell that he sees the field well and reacts very quickly to what is happening. His top end speed is obviously lacking but doesn't need to be incredible at LB. You can see from O & D tape his feet are very quick which will allow him to adjust quickly in squaring up to ball carriers, and to navigate the trash. Burst/short area quickness + vision/instinct/decisiveness ='s very fast closing speed. His hips that are plenty fluid for college pass pro, and he looks comfortable defending in space.

He looks like the kind of kid who in the past might be a legit A or B-back recruit for us. However with talent upgrades at those positions his future IMO is clearly on the defensive side of the ball. You like a player though, who can ball out on either side because they instinctively understand football. And you never know when you have to move a guy out of necessity. MLD had similarly versatile film and I called him as an A back based on it. Now he's at WR, and I'm still not sure S wouldn't be his best position.

Brashear will make a great lead blocker on kick off returns and should rock on ST's in general.

Only knock I guess is size, but d/t other attributes per above he plays fast and hits much bigger than his listed size (6-0 205).

yep, size is a big question with him unless he can become a Nickel--goes back to having BIG guys(like Adams) in front to screen and let small LBs clean-up

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow

In the attached article he says his size is 6'1", 221 lbs.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Guys like this are why I have learned to distrust myself over the years. When you watch his film, you go "welp, that's what a stud football player looks like". Well built, instinctive, fast enough, rough. In a vacuum, I have a hard time imagining a situation where he's not a 2 year starter, and a guy who contributes on special teams early in his career.

yet he's a low ranked player. There has to be something I'm missing.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Guys like this are why I have learned to distrust myself over the years. When you watch his film, you go "welp, that's what a stud football player looks like". Well built, instinctive, fast enough, rough. In a vacuum, I have a hard time imagining a situation where he's not a 2 year starter, and a guy who contributes on special teams early in his career.

yet he's a low ranked player. There has to be something I'm missing.

Committed to GT, and committed very early in the process. 'nuff said.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
New in ’16: Jalen Camp wants ‘to make a statement’
What he wants to say at the end of his career:

“That I was able to earn a degree at one of the best institutes in the entire country and that I gave it everything, in terms of academics and football, that I could to the institute.”

(Camp has picked up on Tech people referring to their school as an institute. “I gotta get that right,” he said.)

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer