Sugiura: New in '16

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Cooper is exciting for the potential we can project for him. I think he won't begin to reach that till he's a rs-so at least though

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Jalen Camp could literally end up being a WR, S, LB, who knows. I hope he ends up in the defensive backfield, to be honest, as Dolphus seems like a sure-fire stud at WR in this class, and Hawkins-Anderson has all the skills to, as well. I love all three of these guys!

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Ken's series is changing my perception of the whole '16 class. I didn't remember how much potential these guys have.
I think people get too wrapped up in ratings. I know I'm guilty of this as well. It's so easy to play a video game and see a player has 94 speed and know he'll be faster than the guy with 93 speed. But real life doesn't work like that. Cooper has got the size and will to be a great player. If he's open to coaching and works hard, he'll develop very nicely. I think this sort of thing is applicable to all players we recruit. Like CPJ has said, it's easy to identify the top 10 guards in the nation, but after that how do you definitively say the 28th ranked guy is better than the 34th? I think the kind of player we recruit brings in hard workers by default, which means a lot of them hit close to their ceilings by their Junior year.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Jalen Camp could literally end up being a WR, S, LB, who knows. I hope he ends up in the defensive backfield, to be honest, as Dolphus seems like a sure-fire stud at WR in this class, and Hawkins-Anderson has all the skills to, as well. I love all three of these guys!
Ahhhh could you imagine seeing a speedster like Camp next to some head hunters like Brant and Vic. That Lb corp could be nasty.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
What separates a lot of players is PRIDE and DESIRE. A good athlete with a burning desire to compete makes up for lack of the attributes of the so-called 5* players. Pride and desire were two of the main attributes of players that Bear Bryant recruited.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What separates a lot of players is PRIDE and DESIRE. A good athlete with a burning desire to compete makes up for lack of the attributes of the so-called 5* players. Pride and desire were two of the main attributes of players that Bear Bryant recruited.
I think what you a getting at is making that next leap. Most of these guys were the best athlete on the field in hs. Maybe they were so gifted that they could get by on talent alone and not have any work ethic. Well, that doesn't fly "at the next level." What separates the wannabe's from the prime time players is work ethic, that's what allows them to reach the upper limits of their potential envelope.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Stephen Dolphus:

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/201...ephen-dolphus-brings-the-tools-drive-to-tech/

They mention Stephen Hill, but the way he contorts his body and adjusts to the ball really reminds me of ....Calvin. He doesn't have CJ's pure athleticism and freakish speed for his height, but the guy is more natural receiver than Stephen Hill and Darren Waller...and both ended up in the NFL. If he keeps working hard, he's going to be eating CB's lunches all day in this offense.

With a QB like Lucas Johnson in the fold, it's going to be fun watching this offense with guys like Dolphus, Jeune, Stewart, Philpott at WR, AND the mess of "new era" ABs we have.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Stephen Dolphus:

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/201...ephen-dolphus-brings-the-tools-drive-to-tech/

They mention Stephen Hill, but the way he contorts his body and adjusts to the ball really reminds me of ....Calvin. He doesn't have CJ's pure athleticism and freakish speed for his height, but the guy is more natural receiver than Stephen Hill and Darren Waller...and both ended up in the NFL. If he keeps working hard, he's going to be eating CB's lunches all day in this offense.

With a QB like Lucas Johnson in the fold, it's going to be fun watching this offense with guys like Dolphus, Jeune, Stewart, Philpott at WR, AND the mess of "new era" ABs we have.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am HUGELY reminded of Herman Moore. Big bodied hand-catcher that is more of a glider than a sprinter. He's not twitchy, but in the open his long strides eat up ground.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
New in ’16: Xavier Gantt adds ‘explosive’ playmaking to A-back mix
Tech returns Clinton Lynch, Qua Searcy, Isiah Willis and Lynn Griffin return, and J.J. Green, Omahri Jarrett and Cottrell will join the mix, as well as walk-on Austin McClellan.

It’s a lot of players, although Lynch and Willis are the only two with significant experience. He’s O.K. with not playing this season.

“I’ll still get five years to get my education,” he said. “It’s a win-win for me.”

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am HUGELY reminded of Herman Moore. Big bodied hand-catcher that is more of a glider than a sprinter. He's not twitchy, but in the open his long strides eat up ground.
One thing certainly can be said. That QB is not afraid to chunk it into traffic.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
r.e. K Cooper. Moves great for his size. I'm sure he'd be a mauler at OG. I like his big play making ability on D too though. Y'all won't like comparison but he reminds me of a bigger David Pollock.