Strength of Schedule Shot after week 1

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Strength of schedule only matters when you're contending for a National Championship
That's a narrow way of viewing it. In addition to that, SOS matters to me in that it provides (perhaps) a little more subjective assessment on how good our season is... ultimately. Obviously... when we run table, it won't matter. ;)

But say we don't... we win 7-10 games. How good (or bad) were those teams we beat over the season... how about the teams we lose to?. We all seem to act like SOS is already baked in. It isn't. We're thru Week 1. Who knows how good each team on our schedule will end up being? I want our opposition (all 11 FBS opponents) to be top notch. Means Ga Tech was/will be tested each week... and should we win 8+ against a top 10 schedule... be relevant.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
That's a narrow way of viewing it. In addition to that, SOS matters to me in that it provides (perhaps) a little more subjective assessment on how good our season is... ultimately. Obviously... when we run table, it won't matter. ;)

But say we don't... we win 7-10 games. How good (or bad) were those teams we beat over the season... how about the teams we lose to?. We all seem to act like SOS is already baked in. It isn't. We're thru Week 1. Who knows how good each team on our schedule will end up being? I want our opposition (all 11 FBS opponents) to be top notch. Means Ga Tech was/will be tested each week... and should we win 8+ against a top 10 schedule... be relevant.
Number of wins is the end all be all to me about how good GT's season will be....................................just sayin';)

Jacket prime

Georgia Tech Fan

You're making it too difficult. If we win 7 or 8 games and you like Paul Johnson, then we had a strong SOS, if you don't like Paul Johnson then it was a weak SOS. Simple really.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Before the season, why did anyone think we had a hard, overbearing schedule?

4 good teams - um, ugag, cu, vt. The rest very bad to pedestrian.

GT officials have just done a magnificent job of dumbing down expectations in all areas of the school, and managed to insult and harass a dwindling fan base.

Appears, from actions of the GTAA such as uni reveal and such, that they are focusing on young alumni. I can understand that.

But problem with that is those people have been inculcated to think we can not do great things in all areas.

They are being led to believe a record of 6 - 6 (against a stupid & weak schedule) and a pathetic bowl are some sort of great success.

We have met the enemy, and it is .........
I am not sure one game into the season tells you anything, particularly if your mindset is contrarian going in. SOS is both a function of the opponent and you, and I am still not sure this Tech team is going to be contenders. Pittsburgh is going to be tough. Louisville is going to be tough. (That was Alabama Saturday you know.) Duke looks pretty good and I am sure you have noticed our difficulty playing that team. Miami? Maybe not, but we don't know how good LSU is. South Florida? We don't know. But in the first place, most of that schedule is made up of ACC conference requirements. South Fla., BG, Georgia and the Saturday powder puff are dates Tech fills. Two of those four, arguably, can be very tough, and even BG in the scheduling past has had very good football teams. Maybe we can let the season play out a bit and see how tough things are, starting with our own team.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You're making it too difficult. If we win 7 or 8 games and you like Paul Johnson, then we had a strong SOS, if you don't like Paul Johnson then it was a weak SOS. Simple really.
If we get badly beaten by uga, mia, vt, clem, and one of the remaining teams , won't matter what the opinion is of SOS = not good

Flip that and say we loose but play the good teams tough and we beat down 2 more of the other teams , again it won't matter about SOS = good.

We will roll!

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Let’s worry about strength of schedule after we’ve won more games. Right now, the goals should be to get to six wins to qualify for a bowl game and to try to win as many conference games as possible so that we can win our division. We can worry about the context of our season once it’s over. In fact, it makes a nice offseason discussion. Go Jackets!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
SoS for the most part is meaningless....run the table and we are in, lose more than one and you are out. Lose one and it depends more on when and by how much.
Yep. And that was why Ole Miss won the MNC in 1960. They were the only undefeated team in the country. It didn't matter who you play if someone else loses more.

Nowadays, the same reasoning wouldn't apply for the playoffs (unless they went to 8 teams), given the conference championships and the selection process. However, it would be a good argument for a decent bowl game.

Before the season, why did anyone think we had a hard, overbearing schedule?

4 good teams - um, ugag, cu, vt. The rest very bad to pedestrian.

GT officials have just done a magnificent job of dumbing down expectations in all areas of the school, and managed to insult and harass a dwindling fan base.

Appears, from actions of the GTAA such as uni reveal and such, that they are focusing on young alumni. I can understand that.

But problem with that is those people have been inculcated to think we can not do great things in all areas.

They are being led to believe a record of 6 - 6 (against a stupid & weak schedule) and a pathetic bowl are some sort of great success.

We have met the enemy, and it is .........

Agreed. It's 10 years of "It Is What It Is" football and now a somewhat large portion of our fans appear to think that UVA and Duke are strong programs on equal footing with us and that they shouldn't be considered sure-wins.

Sadly, they're right. CPJ has paved the way to mediocrity, 6-6 "Meh" football and getting us out of that rut will be a far more difficult task for the next coach than switching away from the TO scheme.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agreed. It's 10 years of "It Is What It Is" football and now a somewhat large portion of our fans appear to think that UVA and Duke are strong programs on equal footing with us and that they shouldn't be considered sure-wins.

Sadly, they're right. CPJ has paved the way to mediocrity, 6-6 "Meh" football and getting us out of that rut will be a far more difficult task for the next coach than switching away from the TO scheme.

Put down the crazy juice and slowly back up. Who is saying that 6-6 is what we expect?

Also @silas do we need to do a wellness check on you? I normally agree with a lot you’re saying but that was wickedly negative.

Everyone has been saying we need to align expectations with commitment (a common CPJ principle). With the new AD and funding/locker rooms/clothing deal we are upping the commitment.

The logical extrapolation is we will up the expectations as well. If CPJ isn’t delivering over the next few years as these things improve then people will likely feel differently but right now we are hoping to see the improvement that should go hand in hand with circumstances improving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Isnt this mentality the reason DRad hired CPJ in the first place? To get us out of the 7 win rut that defined the Braine/Gailey era? Have you blocked out those 7 years? No one is going to be happy with 6-6 this year. I dont know why anyone is saying that.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

Yep. There's people here that as long as CPJ is our coach they are happy with 6-6. They love CPJ that much

GT03&05

Georgia Tech Fan
So, if we're going to criticize our SoS, then let's define a "good" SoS.

Georgia - 2 currently ranked teams the rest of the way in Auburn and LSU.
Alabama - 3 currently ranked teams in LSU, Auburn, and Miss st.
Ohio St - 4 currently ranked teams in TCU, Michigan, Mich St, and Penn St (though those last 3 don't look great right notw)
GT - 4 currently ranked teams in Georgia, Clemson, VT, and Miami (knowing Miami probably doesnt deserve the ranking they have)

I would say we have an equal SoS to other teams that are considered elite. Anyone ranking won't care about us playing UVA,just like they won't care about UGA playing Vandy, or Ohio St playing Indiana.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Miami looks badly over-rated to me (and I thought so last year as well)

Duke is under-rated, they are a solid team although they lack spectacular playmakers.

UNC did not look at all good last year and has started the same way this year.

Can't really tell much about most of the rest of the schedule...results against lower level teams just don't mean much.

Deleted member 2897

SoS doesn’t matter. We play Clemson, Miami, uGA, VT.

If we lose 1 or less, we will get into the CFP regardless. 2 losses and were probably out unless it’s Clemson/uGA or Clemson/Clemson. But 2 losses would be a crapshoot for anybody.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Miami could still be a pretty good team. LSU always has a good defense, they got in Rosier’s face and he struggled at times. They might not finish top ten but they’ll still be tough. There’s been nothing about Va Tech the last couple years that tells me that they’ll be better than Duke if Duke plays like they should this year.

I don’t see UNC, Pitt, and UVA being good but they’re no cupcakes for us either.

I don’t think we’ve got the players to make a playoff run so SOS probably won’t matter in that way, but it is rewarding to beat a few good teams.