Strength of Schedule Shot after week 1

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
So Opponent Week 1 Results

USF - W in a cupcake game
Pitt - W in a cupcake game
Clemson - W in a cupcake game
BGSU - L (against Oregon, so maybe Ok)
Louisville - L, big L against Alabama, not sure how a L against Bama affects strength of schedule perception
Duke - W in a game against a supposedly good Army team.
VT - TBD, don't think its too bad if they lose, they just need to not get blown out.
UNC - L to a bad Cal team, this is not good for our SOS
Miami - Probable L, getting blown out by a relatively mediocre LSU team (according to the preseason prognasticators). This one also hurts the SOS
Virginia - W - Yay the ACC has yet to lose to Richmond this year!
U(sic)ga - W in a cupcake game

What does this weekend's results mean for the perception of our schedule. I can't believe that it helps us.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

Louisville - L, big L against Alabama, not sure how a L against Bama affects strength of schedule perception
VT - TBD, don't think its too bad if they lose, they just need to not get blown out.
Miami - Probable L, getting blown out by a relatively mediocre LSU team (according to the preseason prognasticators). This one also hurts the SOS

What does this weekend's results mean for the perception of our schedule. I can't believe that it helps us.

Valid point but I think this is somewhat tempered by it being week one. The CFP and polls seem to weight games more as the season goes along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Before the season, why did anyone think we had a hard, overbearing schedule?

4 good teams - um, ugag, cu, vt. The rest very bad to pedestrian.

GT officials have just done a magnificent job of dumbing down expectations in all areas of the school, and managed to insult and harass a dwindling fan base.

Appears, from actions of the GTAA such as uni reveal and such, that they are focusing on young alumni. I can understand that.

But problem with that is those people have been inculcated to think we can not do great things in all areas.

They are being led to believe a record of 6 - 6 (against a stupid & weak schedule) and a pathetic bowl are some sort of great success.

We have met the enemy, and it is .........

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The premise of this thread appears to be that we should have as tough a schedule as possible. My answer = no.

What I want is a schedule like USF or Wake had last year. A Johnny Vaught schedule: 9 patsies and Mama. I want to win and I don't care against who.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

GT officials have just done a magnificent job of dumbing down expectations in all areas of the school, and managed to insult and harass a dwindling fan base.

Appears, from actions of the GTAA such as uni reveal and such, that they are focusing on young alumni. I can understand that.

But problem with that is those people have been inculcated to think we can not do great things in all areas.

They are being led to believe a record of 6 - 6 (against a stupid & weak schedule) and a pathetic bowl are some sort of great success.

Phil Steele had our schedule ranked as #9 in the country.

https://philsteele.com/2018/03/21/toughest-opponent-records-for-2018/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

umm... Silas?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

I still think Army wins 8-9 games

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
SoS for the most part is meaningless....run the table and we are in, lose more than one and you are out. Lose one and it depends more on when and by how much.

I was right with you before this past weekend. The SEC and Big are campaigning to get 2 each.

LOLvl made Bama look like a pro team.