Strength & Conditioning

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Since MIT has excellent programs in … well, read for yourself:

http://shass.mit.edu/undergraduate/majors

And everybody here has been moaning and groaning about not having a wider range of majors, I'd say that imitating MIT is not such a bad idea. Getting the BoR to go along with establishing something like SHASS might be difficult, but if we go all STEM-humanities like MIT does, the problem could be solved.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Kinda like the bold statements made about our coaches abilities despite having no interaction with them or the team on a day to day basis?

True. That’s why we don’t talk about their abilities - just their results. Which, now that I think about it, is what most of us get paid for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have also wondered the same thing about high end technology available at GT. Is it in place and not talked about? Is it there but inadequate?
Riddle me this: How is it that GT can be a technology based institution yet not have vast amounts of research centered around advancing training and equipment for the sole purpose of improving performance/productivity/training on the field/court results for GT athletes. It baffles me that we aren't on the breaking edge of capturing data and breaking it down to fully understanding the tendencies of our opponents with a super computer so that we can make game plans based upon that data. This same data could be used to isolate and strengthen Individual athletes weaknesses based upon their on the field performances. Work smarter not harder may be the avenue GT takes as opposed to internships paying out gift cards to restaurants.
You would think that there would be a long line of eager computer savvy GT students lined up to present their models of programs designed to do the above if GT ponied up for 12 free passes to Comic Con Atlanta (lol). All jokes aside is there any product development at GT devoted to address any of the things mentioned above? Hell if there are students on our campus, building and designing projects, who are capable of trapping atoms can't we get them involved in addressing athletic ventures?
All this stuff is out of my area code but I was reading a piece before the NC games started, and Clemson apparently is on the leading edge of all that stuff and the individual stats are available to the players' iPhones, including special diet needs, etc. Hard to believe that once upon a time we just went out and played.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
All this stuff is out of my area code but I was reading a piece before the NC games started, and Clemson apparently is on the leading edge of all that stuff and the individual stats are available to the players' iPhones, including special diet needs, etc. Hard to believe that once upon a time we just went out and played.
What does Clemson not have the leading edge o when it comes to flashy things. Is amazing. They seem to have a bank account to draw from that has unending funds.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
True. That’s why we don’t talk about their abilities - just their results. Which, now that I think about it, is what most of us get paid for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And that’s fair game imo. But few stop there. Most will go on to infer abilities based upon results without any true knowledge of the primary factors leading to actual results. True for good results and bad.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What does Clemson not have the leading edge o when it comes to flashy things. Is amazing. They seem to have a bank account to draw from that has unending funds.
1) 82,000 every single home game, without a miss, regardless of opponent it seems; 2) IPTAY, which Swinney has engaged but managed to keep at arm's length to avoid another Danny Ford fiasco; 3) an administration that looks at the program as a feeder for its campus growth, and that too is amazing. The guy that hired Kiffin down at Florida Atlantic, I read, is a recent hire from the Clemson administration and "saw what football did for Clemson" and decided to try it there. Up to a 10-year contract. Which we all know is really a two-year contract at best ...

pelliott

Georgia Tech Fan
Being a technology school has nothing to do with it... as someone mentioned earlier, Clemson is currently implementing modern technological techniques in training, and I remember watching a video on how Florida State broke into this field with their athletes a few years ago. I think this is more of a matter of willingness and effort.

GTdragons

Jolly Good Fellow
Most research breakthroughs and cutting edge tech are discovered by scientists and not engineers. We don't really put a ton of money into Science and Math at GT so we aren't going to see anything cutting edge come in unless it's from an outsider. If you want to bring a product to market, we have engineers that can do that but if you're going to launch a user-end product why would you want to partner with GT first?

A lot of engineering research is pretty indistinguishable from “science” research at this point. For example, in areas like heat transfer, MEMs, and semiconductors to name a few. A good deal of research in fields like control theory, signal processing, and mechanics looks very much like pure math as well. The specific problems being investigated do tend to be more application motivated, but a large part of engineering research is very far removed from product development and not as “practical” as you might imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Since Peterson has arrived our focus as a school has changed, We began chasing USNWR rankings and particularly through beefing up our M.S. and Ph.D. programs. This has come at the expense of being the best undergraduate engineering school on the planet.

He has also done a lot improve freshmen retention rates and lessened the difficulty of the school, even since the time I've been there (2009-2014). I like the man,just not the direction that he appears to be taking the school.

In the GT master plan we claim that we want to want to be the place where anyone with a technical problem will turn towards Tech for the answer. All of his actions since then have appeared, from the outside, to be merely trying to copy what is done by MIT, the world's current technical leader. I would rather us be innovative and find new ways to surpass the current leaders. Just a personal opinion.
His predecessor (Clough) started this, it certainly isn't unique to Peterson. Graduate programs also bring in far, far more money than undergrads, which is important when the state slashes the budget every year.

At least you got a nice new undergrad lab building in the center of campus - most people on here were going into the bowels of the CS building for freshman chem lab at 7pm...

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
1) 82,000 every single home game, without a miss, regardless of opponent it seems; 2) IPTAY, which Swinney has engaged but managed to keep at arm's length to avoid another Danny Ford fiasco; 3) an administration that looks at the program as a feeder for its campus growth, and that too is amazing. The guy that hired Kiffin down at Florida Atlantic, I read, is a recent hire from the Clemson administration and "saw what football did for Clemson" and decided to try it there. Up to a 10-year contract. Which we all know is really a two-year contract at best ...
Clemson has a "slide" and "putt putt" to help the student athletes wind down from long study sessions... They need all that hi tech crap to keep their players entertained. It is amazing that you can get that many red necks to assemble in one place, without selling beer.

slugboy

Staff member
From what I've seen, students are learning more today than they did when I was a student. Maybe the school isn't as difficult, but that's more because they've moved away from "sink or swim" to "let's help you learn". I think Clough and Peterson have improved both our undergraduate and graduate rankings and improved the quality of the Institute.
They've also taken away the excuse from the professors of "I taught it, why didn't they learn?"
Harvey Mudd has been ranked #1 in undergraduate as long as I can remember. I don't know when you remember us being #1. Overall, we're as strong in the rankings as I've know us to be. We've done well https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has a "slide" and "putt putt" to help the student athletes wind down from long study sessions... They need all that hi tech crap to keep their players entertained. It is amazing that you can get that many red necks to assemble in one place, without selling beer.
Don't forget the badminton and whiffleball courts. I understand the latter is particularly challenging. I don't begrudge them the slide. Shoot, I would do it every day, too.

Deleted member 2897

Since MIT has excellent programs in … well, read for yourself:

http://shass.mit.edu/undergraduate/majors

And everybody here has been moaning and groaning about not having a wider range of majors, I'd say that imitating MIT is not such a bad idea. Getting the BoR to go along with establishing something like SHASS might be difficult, but if we go all STEM-humanities like MIT does, the problem could be solved.

I disagree.

I'm not just reflexively saying I disagree period, I just mean to say its not that simple. MIT is a great school, but that doesn't mean we should do everything they do. The bigger question is do we want to continue to be an elite STEM school or not? The world is full of extremely intelligent folks who major in liberal arts stuff, but is that where we want to branch out? My current opinion is no. I would be open to arguments to the contrary. But my current opinion is that we shouldn't try to be a jack of all trades, which can lead to master of nothing.

Deleted member 2897

The factories have become adult day care centers. There are some things we should invest more in around facilities. But there are others that are just pointless things often centered around kids' preferences...the type of kids we'll never want to have. CNN not too long ago published research they did into athletes at some of the major colleges and what their reading levels were. North Carolina for example, has typically had a good academic reputation (all jokes aside) - fully 70% of their players read at the eighth grade level or below. Just think about that for a bit.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Flea mentioned the difference in the post collge job prospects for the factory schools and gt.
Intuitively, i believe at the average income 10 years and 20 years after graduation ( filtered from the extreme = the middle 80 % ) of the typical g a tech / stanford / n d verses factory schools would be astounding . For football players i would suggest that the bell curve of this salary info would be eye popping.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I disagree.

I'm not just reflexively saying I disagree period, I just mean to say its not that simple. MIT is a great school, but that doesn't mean we should do everything they do. The bigger question is do we want to continue to be an elite STEM school or not? The world is full of extremely intelligent folks who major in liberal arts stuff, but is that where we want to branch out? My current opinion is no. I would be open to arguments to the contrary. But my current opinion is that we shouldn't try to be a jack of all trades, which can lead to master of nothing.
I see where you are coming from, but I think you are a little behind the curve on where the "liberal arts" have been heading. First - and I'm sure you know this - the social sciences have become more data analysis oriented. And I mean on steroids: most of the advances in quantitative and qualitative analysis are driven by questions from the social sciences and analyzed by techniques originating there. Shoot, Google hires social scientists just to keep up with the trends (you can check). A lot of new techniques that are driven - hand to God - by cooperation between computer scientists and philosophers. The philosophers are interested in how to make sound causal inferences from non-experimental data. So are the computer scientists, for different reasons. And all of that is driven by social scientists with the same questions.

Second, more and more quantitive work is being done by the humanities (again, hand to God). English and lit programs are doing more and more text analysis to quantitatively test theories of literary analysis and that's just the tip of the iceberg. History programs have developed huge databases they are using to analyze empirical hypotheses about the past. Example: they've been using a computerized version of the census of Florence to answer questions about 14th and 15th centuries when that city was developing the first wave of capitalism. About the only thing you don't see these days is empirical work on the existence of God, though text analysis of the Gospels, for instance, is already an old story.

In short, the kind of things they do at MIT are by no means foreign to the focus of a place like Tech. Granted, some of the stuff they do up there wouldn't fit as easily, but a whole lot would. If Tech wants a wider range of majors, iow, a case can be made for them

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Physicality at the line was actually one of the things I thought we were most improved in. We held in 3rd and short situations much better than in prior years imo.

Not saying we have arrived there. But I think we have gone from very subpar to competitive here.

yep, but if you don't have a pass rush ,at least become a ROCK to stop runs--the stop I remember is the 4th down vs Wake-- pretty good since in bowl Wake put 50? on T-AM?

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
GT has great S&C coaches. Will interned with Coach Sisk last summer. He wants to again. He loves the S&C guys. They are some of the best in the nation. Be honest. Everyone on this

board if had a free membership to the best workout facility and trainers for free would still have to have personal responsibility to see results. It’s up to the ind. You have to look in the mirror. The guys who are dedicated get stronger . The guys who don’t, well they do the min and you can see both results. You can take a horse to
water but you cannot make it drink. Players who are dedicated and work get results. Players who skate don’t.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Do Rivals, Scout, 247 measure “want to” with stars? Never have and never will. Evaluating “want to / desire / determination / work ethic” is probably very overlooked in recruiting but probably also very difficult to gauge. This is what transformed Megatron from an incredibly gifted athlete to the best WR in the history of football.

I’ll take a 3 Star with incredible “want to” over a typical 4 Star all day everyday. Too bad they don’t self identify more. I think on average we have more of these types than the average program. It’s a large reason we succeed as much as we do despite not pulling in more “elite” athletes.