Strength & Conditioning

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Our bball team JUST started using technology last summer that's been around for years. Yep, that whole "Institute of Technology" thing is rarely applied to the one arm of the school that's proven to raise the profile, student interest, and marketing of most other schools...

What technology is this? Stopwatches? Digital ones?

That's a dig at the school, not you.

A few years ago Catapult approached GT (google "catapult fsu football"). Sasquatch said "you can have four" to PJ. Meanwhile, the entire FSU football team is equipped with it. And a bunch of other NCAA teams.

Do we have a sports science lab?

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I work for a company where we must stay on top of the latest technology or we can’t compete effectively. I don’t think football is quite the same but the differences in games often comes down to inches therefore if you want “top twenty” results you can’t afford to be in the bottom half of any area that can make a difference.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Physicality at the line was actually one of the things I thought we were most improved in. We held in 3rd and short situations much better than in prior years imo.

Not saying we have arrived there. But I think we have gone from very subpar to competitive here.
Agreed...a tough bunch...they just need depth to catch a breath...no more a backs more OL!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I work for a company where we must stay on top of the latest technology or we can’t compete effectively. I don’t think football is quite the same but the differences in games often comes down to inches therefore if you want “top twenty” results you can’t afford to be in the bottom half of any area that can make a difference.

And to get out of the bottom half of equipment, facilities, and staff, GT must get out of the cellar of athletic funding. The GTAA can't hire staff, buy equipment, and pay consultants with money it doesn't have.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Both schools do. Their approach is vastly different though. This should be GT as well. Not to copy Stanford but to be innovative.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/12/...inct-training-regimen-redefines-strength.html
Part of the problem is that Pres. Peterson has decided that to be the best school we must copy MIT instead of innovating dor the future, so there is a culture of we have to do x because school or program y does it, and we're left playong second fiddle on a lot of topics because of this.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Part of the problem is that Pres. Peterson has decided that to be the best school we must copy MIT instead of innovating dor the future, so there is a culture of we have to do x because school or program y does it, and we're left playong second fiddle on a lot of topics because of this.

What exactly has Peterson implemented that is merely a copy of MIT?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
kind of a bold general statement to make for someone who has no interaction with Peterson or his team on a day to day basis.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
And to get out of the bottom half of equipment, facilities, and staff, GT must get out of the cellar of athletic funding. The GTAA can't hire staff, buy equipment, and pay consultants with money it doesn't have.
GT has a relatively small student body. The vast majority of GT football fans are alumni. The vast majority of alumni have no interest in football. This explains our tiny fanbase.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
GT has a relatively small student body. The vast majority of GT football fans are alumni. The vast majority of alumni have no interest in football. This explains our tiny fanbase.

Doesn't change the fact that in order to get more staff, better facilities, better equipment, and better technology the GTAA needs more money. The GTAA cannot provide all of the wishes that the fans have on the current budget.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't change the fact that in order to get more staff, better facilities, better equipment, and better technology the GTAA needs more money. The GTAA cannot provide all of the wishes that the fans have on the current budget.
I’m just pointing out there’s reasons why our budget is limited. But, you are right, you can’t buy stuff without money.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
GT does research that makes money, and professors DGAF about athletics for the most part.
The prez Only has to be a care taker of the research center that is a cash cow.
He does not NEED to maximize the athletic side for students as we turn away out of state student talent.

No need to be innovative as things are fine on the hill. And that's not a bad thing.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Do we count the 4 years of strength and conditioning coaching effort of Shamire as a success?
In 17 we did let him play a lot more.
Seems like we passed a lot when he was playing.

I saw that will bryan lost weight and he looked very lean. If shamire wanted to get in shape he could have in 4 years.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Do we count the 4 years of strength and conditioning coaching effort of Shamire as a success?
In 17 we did let him play a lot more.
Seems like we passed a lot when he was playing.

I saw that will bryan lost weight and he looked very lean. If shamire wanted to get in shape he could have in 4 years.
I think @flea77 said Will is going to bulk up this year.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
kind of a bold general statement to make for someone who has no interaction with Peterson or his team on a day to day basis.

Since Peterson has arrived our focus as a school has changed, We began chasing USNWR rankings and particularly through beefing up our M.S. and Ph.D. programs. This has come at the expense of being the best undergraduate engineering school on the planet.

He has also done a lot improve freshmen retention rates and lessened the difficulty of the school, even since the time I've been there (2009-2014). I like the man,just not the direction that he appears to be taking the school.

In the GT master plan we claim that we want to want to be the place where anyone with a technical problem will turn towards Tech for the answer. All of his actions since then have appeared, from the outside, to be merely trying to copy what is done by MIT, the world's current technical leader. I would rather us be innovative and find new ways to surpass the current leaders. Just a personal opinion.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think @flea77 said Will is going to bulk up this year.
After that FLEA added something like "he" is going to give will extra food to keep the weight on him no matter how they try to run it off" .

He lost weight last year like they asked to help at tackle with the 2 seniors o t leaving ( due to their loove for thier position coach). After mid year sewak only let him play a minor role. Seemed like we tried to pass more and that turned out to be a disaster (25% completions and lots of int). I do know that when will did play at vt we scored on his 2 drives. Then he was out.
( Guy got his red shirt burned half way thru 15. After 14 we came into 15 thinking coach sewak had found the players he needed. When they didn't perform in 15 and with no real backups sewak burned Will s shirt. ) .

Imo if he had red shirted in 15 and stayed at guard, he would be all acc next year and in 18 he braun and the rest of the ol could be special.

It takes time to grow the body to be special in the trenches.
We really need Will s experience and grit at l g next year.

Ol coach has under performed for too long.