Strength & Conditioning

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Any word on any changes?
Extra supporting staff. Teams have entire staffs dedicated to S&C.

It would seem to me that GT would have the technology edge in this space but alas...
This area need improvement.

What I have been saying and noticing. Regardless of the stars you came in with you can get stronger and faster. Looking at our D-line, we could not seem to push anybody.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I have also wondered the same thing about high end technology available at GT. Is it in place and not talked about? Is it there but inadequate?
Riddle me this: How is it that GT can be a technology based institution yet not have vast amounts of research centered around advancing training and equipment for the sole purpose of improving performance/productivity/training on the field/court results for GT athletes. It baffles me that we aren't on the breaking edge of capturing data and breaking it down to fully understanding the tendencies of our opponents with a super computer so that we can make game plans based upon that data. This same data could be used to isolate and strengthen Individual athletes weaknesses based upon their on the field performances. Work smarter not harder may be the avenue GT takes as opposed to internships paying out gift cards to restaurants.
You would think that there would be a long line of eager computer savvy GT students lined up to present their models of programs designed to do the above if GT ponied up for 12 free passes to Comic Con Atlanta (lol). All jokes aside is there any product development at GT devoted to address any of the things mentioned above? Hell if there are students on our campus, building and designing projects, who are capable of trapping atoms can't we get them involved in addressing athletic ventures?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
What I have been saying and noticing. Regardless of the stars you came in with you can get stronger and faster. Looking at our D-line, we could not seem to push anybody.

Physicality at the line was actually one of the things I thought we were most improved in. We held in 3rd and short situations much better than in prior years imo.

Not saying we have arrived there. But I think we have gone from very subpar to competitive here.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Physicality at the line was actually one of the things I thought we were most improved in. We held in 3rd and short situations much better than in prior years imo.

Not saying we have arrived there. But I think we have gone from very subpar to competitive here.

Totally agree we've improved here. However, I think @ATL1 point is that we should have a larger staff and we should be pseudo-cyborgs out there considering our supposed technological advantages. On that, I agree we should be significantly better.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I have also wondered the same thing about high end technology available at GT. Is it in place and not talked about? Is it there but inadequate?
Riddle me this: How is it that GT can be a technology based institution yet not have vast amounts of research centered around advancing training and equipment for the sole purpose of improving performance/productivity/training on the field/court results for GT athletes. It baffles me that we aren't on the breaking edge of capturing data and breaking it down to fully understanding the tendencies of our opponents with a super computer so that we can make game plans based upon that data. This same data could be used to isolate and strengthen Individual athletes weaknesses based upon their on the field performances. Work smarter not harder may be the avenue GT takes as opposed to internships paying out gift cards to restaurants.
You would think that there would be a long line of eager computer savvy GT students lined up to present their models of programs designed to do the above if GT ponied up for 12 free passes to Comic Con Atlanta (lol). All jokes aside is there any product development at GT devoted to address any of the things mentioned above? Hell if there are students on our campus, building and designing projects, who are capable of trapping atoms can't we get them involved in addressing athletic ventures?
GT does research that makes money, and professors DGAF about athletics for the most part.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

we weren't asked to. We were asked to keep the lb clean

just wait til woody is here. it will look different.

we have 3-4 on S&C staff though; not sure how that compares to other teams.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Totally agree we've improved here. However, I think @ATL1 point is that we should have a larger staff and we should be pseudo-cyborgs out there considering our supposed technological advantages. On that, I agree we should be significantly better.

I’m unaware of any technology we are using to help our program. I know we are a technological institute but our academic focus is not, or has not, been focused in any way toward athletics that I’m aware of.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Then why not go away from it being a school driven initiative and marketing it directly to the student body itself and let the best proposal(s) win. I would think if the bounty or pay out was big enough it would garner enough interest.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’m unaware of any technology we are using to help our program. I know we are a technological institute but our academic focus is not, or has not, been focused in any way toward athletics that I’m aware of.

Our bball team JUST started using technology last summer that's been around for years. Yep, that whole "Institute of Technology" thing is rarely applied to the one arm of the school that's proven to raise the profile, student interest, and marketing of most other schools...

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Nobody is paying them to do so. Research costs a lot of money and somebody has to have a question big enough they want answered to bankroll it. In academia, only about 10% of your submitted proposals ever actually get funded. It's tough. We can't justify using a supercomputer for on field analytics when the people paying for keeping that computer running want to know how exactly their new military weapon blasts through body armor. Now, if you want to get more small-scale with students in Senior Design competitions, it's more likely to happen but it again comes down to money. My team's project and most everyone else I know was funded by a company or organization hoping to find the best solution to their problem. In my case, the costs for the projects added up, but they were happy to pay for it since it got them closer to developing a certain pediatric medical device.

That being said, there are some people doing athletic related things, but not quite where you're talking about. Dr. Michelle LaPlaca in the BME department at GT worked on a system for identifying brain injuries and was honored by the NFL for doing so. It appears from the article that the NFL, GE, and Under Armour wanted to hold a competition to assign funding for better identifying brain injuries (obviously a large issue these days). Now, if Under Armour wanted to know how their new shirts were impacting performance and were willing to give up a couple million to answer that, then we might see some development on our campus. But they may want to keep that information internal.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Most research breakthroughs and cutting edge tech are discovered by scientists and not engineers. We don't really put a ton of money into Science and Math at GT so we aren't going to see anything cutting edge come in unless it's from an outsider. If you want to bring a product to market, we have engineers that can do that but if you're going to launch a user-end product why would you want to partner with GT first?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

On the head.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
That's also for all sports I believe. Stanford has every varsity sport under the sun. GT doesn't have very many so a smaller staff doesn't really mean too much as far as football is concerned.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i completely agree with ALL THE COMMENTS. considering we are a technical institute we certainly drop the 'ball' on this issue by a long shot.

not sure how they reason that sports technology is not a worthy tech issue to not do research on? when you combine the ncaa nfl nba mlb soccer olympics etc there are billions and billions of dollars being spent on technology by those sports and those teams. money we do not get a wiff off because of our short sighted administration.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I tried to find the gifs of first Camp, then Quaid cleaning 325. Given their listed weights, I'd say that core strength training at Tech is doing pretty well. There's more to it then weightlifting, of course, but I'd wager that our S&C staff is up to speed on what needs to be done.

Then it's up to the players. Motivation is a major part of this as is habituation to training routines. I'm getting old (believe it), but I still feel guilty if I don't hit the weights at least twice a week. It takes that kind of attitude and that can be hard to impart, especially to people who are naturally physically talented.

I'd like to know more about what we're up to in this area, however.