Stetson Bennett

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The old “winners win” argument. Bennett wins because he plays on the best team in college football. If he played for TCU, or Arkansas, or Georgia Tech, or Michigan, or Utah, or South Carolina, or literally any team other than probably UGA, Alabama, or Ohio State he wouldn’t be a “winner.” If UGA and Ohio State had swapped QBs for yesterday’s game, Georgia would’ve won by 25+.

At no point did Stetson Bennett take over that game. He did what he needed to do, which was feed the ball to his stars. His biggest play of the game was throwing a touchdown pass to a guy who didn’t have a defender within 25 yards of him. When Bennett was pressured early in the game he crumbled. He made some terrible passes, multiple passes that could’ve been intercepted, and one that was. Late in the game they had a designed swing pass set up that was probably an easy touchdown, but Bennett threw it straight in the ground for a backwards lateral that cost them about 7 yards. Brock Bowers, the best TE in the country, saved their *** on that drive by fighting through contact for a first down on a critical 4th down play that probably would’ve ended the game.

Bennett and Stroud ended up with the exact same completion/attempt ratio at 23/34, but if you watched the game you would know that those incompletions weren’t created equally. Most of Bennett’s were just flat out bad decisions or bad throws. Most of Stroud’s were under duress throwing it away, and well thrown balls that weren’t caught. He definitely missed on a few throws too, but out of his 11 incompletions I’d say only 2-3 were complete misses. Where out of Bennett’s 11, probably 7-8 ms was a way better gt qb than Bennett or Stroud.

This is epic tangent.

We are small program hoping to be in a bowl.

They are going for 2 natties.

RIVALRY? NOT NOW

MAYBE SOON.

JacketFan137

Banned
No, you just don't understand strength. Hopefully, one day you'll learn. Goodbye.
so dramatic for what? “attacking” is almost as great a hyperbole as calling stetson bennett one of the four or five (not sure who is causing the debate between the fourth and fifth spot) best qbs he’d ever seen.

it’s the off-season. we are bored. there’s literally nothing to talk about. sorry not everyone agrees with everything people say

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
so dramatic for what? “attacking” is almost as great a hyperbole as calling stetson bennett one of the four or five (not sure who is causing the debate between the fourth and fifth spot) best qbs he’d ever seen.

it’s the off-season. we are bored. there’s literally nothing to talk about. sorry not everyone agrees with everything people say
Hyperbole?

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Winning is a team stat. If Ohio State makes the FG at the end, does that magically make Strout better? No.

Bennett is surrounded by NFLers and he still has double digit less TDs than guys like Strout and Duggan. Give him credit for getting the job done, but he’s Ken Dorsey; a smart, veteran QB surrounded by NFL talent. No one thinks Dorsey was one of the greatest QBs ever even though many consider that 2001 Miami team to be one of the greatest teams ever.
Funny, I was was going to mention Gino Torretta but he was 6’2” and had much better arm talent . Still, won two national titles on a team with similar nfl talent.
I never hear his name mentioned (NEVER) about being one of the top 4 or 50 QBs.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Not to mention, he's 25 years old and playing against mostly 18-22 year olds. Quite a difference in a 25 year old and an 18-19 year old.
This. Hes at AARP age but notice he hasn't got the "graduate" rocker underneath the $ec patch. For a guy who has been in college since early on in the Trump administration, mutt or not, how does this guy not have an under grad degree yet?
20230103_013212.jpg

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
All of those guys would be just as good or better than Bennett in UGA’s offense.

Bennett would not be nearly as good as those other guys in their own respective offenses. Put Bennett on TCU’s team and they don’t sniff the playoff. Put Bennett on UCLA and they might’ve finished 7-5.
Agree.

During the game I noticed that whenever Bennett had to scramble, and was feeling pressure, his passes were off target. Some of these would be considered easy throws. At one point he didn’t have enough strength left to throw a 20 yard pass, with the ball falling short of the receiver.

But give him time to set up, and concentrate on his mechanics, and he can throw the ball a mile. Give him time and he can work through his progressions. Give him time and he can be accurate.

But he’s no Stroud who twice scrambled out of the arms of tacklers, while directing traffic, and threw a ball 40 yards on the run to a spot where only his receiver could get to it.

Bennett will not be a star in the pros and will have either a short career or a backup role.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@orientalnc - interesting topic. I have always respected your input so I am going to take this onversation in a different direction. Here is a list of GT QB's I have seen that I believe could/would have won natty's if they had been swapped out for Stetson Bennett this year or last:

-J. Dewberry
-S. Jones (no-brainer bc he won a natty)
-J. Ham (pretty close to a no-brainer as well imo)
-G.Godsey
-J. Thomas (probably the one I would have the most reservations about on this list)

Just curious if you agree or disagree. It is obvious you hold the guy in high regard and his performance against OSU did raise my eyebrows. BUt I think the guys on my list could win a ring if they were dropped into the same situation ceterus paribus. As I said, Jones is non-negotiable bc of the fact he has done it on the big stage. But I think the other 4 would do as well as Bennett on that team. Comments?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@orientalnc - interesting topic. I have always respected your input so I am going to take this onversation in a different direction. Here is a list of GT QB's I have seen that I believe could/would have won natty's if they had been swapped out for Stetson Bennett this year or last:

-J. Dewberry
-S. Jones (no-brainer bc he won a natty)
-J. Ham (pretty close to a no-brainer as well imo)
-G.Godsey
-J. Thomas (probably the one I would have the most reservations about on this list)

Just curious if you agree or disagree. It is obvious you hold the guy in high regard and his performance against OSU did raise my eyebrows. BUt I think the guys on my list could win a ring if they were dropped into the same situation ceterus paribus. As I said, Jones is non-negotiable bc of the fact he has done it on the big stage. But I think the other 4 would do as well as Bennett on that team. Comments?
It's a different game today, so it's hard to answer that question. I agree about Thomas. Not sure about the others, but Bennett is perfect for this offense.