Stetson Bennett

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Remember, they’re putting up absurd numbers with a QB who’s probably nothing more than average to slightly above average when compared to other FBS QBs.
Did you watch the game last night???

Stetson Bennett is among the four or five best college QBs I have ever seen play. He makes difficlut reads seem almost effortlless and gives the impression that it's no big deal. Having Bowers certainly helps him, but he finds him and delivers the ball in key situations.

I do not know how well he will do as a pro, but he is awesome as a college QB.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Stetson Bennett is among the four or five best college QBs I have ever seen play. He makes difficlut reads seem almost effortlless and gives the impression that it's no big deal. Having Bowers certainly helps him, but he finds him and delivers the ball in key situations.

I think there are about about 30 FBS QBs who could do what Bennett is doing in that offense with that talent around him and the schemes they run. He was basically never under any pressure, and their run game gashed OSU all night. Bennett has played very well in the role they have set up for him, but to say he’s among the top 5 QBs in the country currently, let alone ever, is absurd IMO.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I think there are about about 30 FBS QBs who could do what Bennett is doing in that offense with that talent around him and the schemes they run. He was basically never under any pressure, and their run game gashed OSU all night. Bennett has played very well in the role they have set up for him, but to say he’s among the top 5 QBs in the country currently, let alone ever, is absurd IMO.
It’s honestly jaw dropping to call him a top 5 qb ever lol.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It’s honestly jaw dropping to call him a top 5 qb ever lol.
Yeah, anybody who thinks that probably hasn’t watched a ton of football lol. Or even have the slightest idea about what’s going on during games.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah? This is a silly argument that cannot be confirmed or refuted. That said name 3-4 QBs who played this year who are better college QBs. I do not mean have higher draft potential.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

His own coach felt his play last night was unacceptable

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Yeah? This is a silly argument that cannot be confirmed or refuted. That said name 3-4 QBs who played this year who are better college QBs. I do not mean have higher draft potential.
Stroud, Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Max Duggan, Bryce Young, Hendon Hooker, Sam Hartman the list continues. Every one of these guys are head and shoulders above Bennett.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Well for one, the guy he was playing against. CJ Stroud played a much better game than Bennett did. He didn’t really make any mistakes or bad throws, had a lot more garbage in the pocket to work around, and a lot less relief from his run game than Bennett did. But other than that: Caleb Williams, Bryce Young, Hendon Hooker, Michael Penix, Dorian Thomson-Robinson, Drake Maye, Sam Hartman, Max Duggan, Will Levis, JJ McCarthy, Jayden Daniels, Jordan Travis, Cam Rising.

That’s 13 guys who I think, and probably most others do too, would put up just as good, if not way better numbers with Georgia’s offense than what Bennett has. Once again, I’m not saying Bennett is bad. He’s played very well. But he’s nowhere near an elite QB. Especially not all time. He’s an above average college QB, which puts him as top level football player. He makes good reads, and for the most part takes care of the football. But he is not the reason UGA is about to win their second title. He’s not even the best offensive player on the field for them.

Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Well for one, the guy he was playing against. CJ Stroud played a much better game than Bennett did. He didn’t really make any mistakes or bad throws, had a lot more garbage in the pocket to work around, and a lot less relief from his run game than Bennett did. But other than that: Caleb Williams, Bryce Young, Hendon Hooker, Michael Penix, Dorian Thomson-Robinson, Drake Maye, Sam Hartman, Max Duggan, Will Levis, Max Duggan, JJ McCarthy, Jayden Daniels,
You can also try a thought experiment - take any of the named QBs and imagine they swapped places with Bennett. Would they do as well or better in UGA's offense? Would Bennet do as well or better in their offenses?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You can also try a thought experiment - take any of the named QBs and imagine they swapped places with Bennett. Would they do as well or better in UGA's offense? Would Bennet do as well or better in their offenses?
All of those guys would be just as good or better than Bennett in UGA’s offense.

Bennett would not be nearly as good as those other guys in their own respective offenses. Put Bennett on TCU’s team and they don’t sniff the playoff. Put Bennett on UCLA and they might’ve finished 7-5.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Well for one, the guy he was playing against. CJ Stroud played a much better game than Bennett did. He didn’t really make any mistakes or bad throws, had a lot more garbage in the pocket to work around, and a lot less relief from his run game than Bennett did. But other than that: Caleb Williams, Bryce Young, Hendon Hooker, Michael Penix, Dorian Thomson-Robinson, Drake Maye, Sam Hartman, Max Duggan, Will Levis, JJ McCarthy, Jayden Daniels, Jordan Travis, Cam Rising.

That’s 13 guys who I think, and probably most others do too, would put up just as good, if not way better numbers with Georgia’s offense than what Bennett has. Once again, I’m not saying Bennett is bad. He’s played very well. But he’s nowhere near an elite QB. Especially not all time. He’s an above average college QB, which puts him as top level football player. He makes good reads, and for the most part takes care of the football. But he is not the reason UGA is about to win their second title. He’s not even the best offensive player on the field for them.
That is Georgia's history with QBs recently. They see themselves more as RB U , with a QB manager. They "ran off" Justin Fields , right ?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
All of those guys would be just as good or better than Bennett in UGA’s offense.

Bennett would not be nearly as good as those other guys in their own respective offenses. Put Bennett on TCU’s team and they don’t sniff the playoff. Put Bennett on UCLA and they might’ve finished 7-5.
Exactly.

ole ball coach

Georgia Tech Fan

Not to mention, he's 25 years old and playing against mostly 18-22 year olds. Quite a difference in a 25 year old and an 18-19 year old.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The QB is the guy on the field responsible for winning games. Each team has a plan for how they want to win and Bennett executes his team's plan to near perfection. None of those other guys (and they are all good QBs) can come close to Bennet's record. He is 28-3 as a starter and the three losses were to Alabama twice and Florida in 2021 when the Gators were ranked #8. This relative ranking is all very subjective and I understand the arguments against my POV. But, you cannot look at their respective numbers and see that any of the QBs mentioned are "head and shoulders" above Bennett.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
The QB is the guy on the field responsible for winning games. Each team has a plan for how they want to win and Bennett executes his team's plan to near perfection. None of those other guys (and they are all good QBs) can come close to Bennet's record. He is 28-3 as a starter and the three losses were to Alabama twice and Florida in 2021 when the Gators were ranked #8. This relative ranking is all very subjective and I understand the arguments against my POV. But, you cannot look at their respective numbers and see that any of the QBs mentioned are "head and shoulders" above Bennett.

Last year UGA scored more points on defense than they allowed on defense. Not so sure you should give him so much credit for last years success. It’s pretty simple though if you put Bennett on Ohio State and Stroud as the QB of UGA it’s a 25-30 point victory.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

Winning is a team stat. If Ohio State makes the FG at the end, does that magically make Strout better? No.

Bennett is surrounded by NFLers and he still has double digit less TDs than guys like Strout and Duggan. Give him credit for getting the job done, but he’s Ken Dorsey; a smart, veteran QB surrounded by NFL talent. No one thinks Dorsey was one of the greatest QBs ever even though many consider that 2001 Miami team to be one of the greatest teams ever.