Stetson Bennett

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Let’s not forget going into the playoffs UGA had the worst SOS in the SEC. At one point Alabama faced 6 straight top 25 opponents. UGA has hit lightning in a bottle where their division (and Auburn) crapped the bed on hires shifting the talent to the west division while uga was at the peak of their program build.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Let’s not forget going into the playoffs UGA had the worst SOS in the SEC. At one point Alabama faced 6 straight top 25 opponents. UGA has hit lightning in a bottle where their division (and Auburn) crapped the bed on hires shifting the talent to the west division while uga was at the peak of their program build.

And TCU has the strongest SOS of the Final Four. Like the before mentioned Dorsey, I think Stetson will lose in the championship game for his chance for two titles in a row.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And TCU has the strongest SOS of the Final Four. Like the before mentioned Dorsey, I think Stetson will lose in the championship game for his chance for two titles in a row.
These are two excellent points and I will pull for TCU with all my passion. But, eleven of uGA's games these past two season were against ranked teams. Except for Bama last year in the SECCG, they won them all. And, Bennett had had some of his best games in those wins.

I am not touting for Bennett other than to say I think he has been a great QB at uGA and I hope losing him hurts their team in the coming years.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Did you watch the game last night???

Stetson Bennett is among the four or five best college QBs I have ever seen play. He makes difficlut reads seem almost effortlless and gives the impression that it's no big deal. Having Bowers certainly helps him, but he finds him and delivers the ball in key situations.

I do not know how well he will do as a pro, but he is awesome as a college QB.
I don't follow. Of the two QBs on the field last night, OSU's was clearly much better.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Did you watch the game last night???

Stetson Bennett is among the four or five best college QBs I have ever seen play. He makes difficlut reads seem almost effortlless and gives the impression that it's no big deal. Having Bowers certainly helps him, but he finds him and delivers the ball in key situations.

I do not know how well he will do as a pro, but he is awesome as a college QB.

This is an insane thing to say.

If you actually believe this you need to watch more college football.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
This is an insane thing to say.

If you actually believe this you need to watch more college football.
What man? You don’t see it? Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Vince Young, Roger Staubach, Stetson Bennett. He fits in right there among the greats. (Lol)

Bennett is probably only like the 5th or 6th best QB Georgia by themselves has had since the turn of the century.
Matt Stafford
Aaron Murray
David Greene
Jake Fromm
Then you have a group of Stetson Bennett/DJ Shockley/Hutson Mason

Anybody who says Stetson Bennett is a top 5 QB EVER really needs to go through a crash course on college football.

JacketFan137

Banned
These are two excellent points and I will pull for TCU with all my passion. But, eleven of uGA's games these past two season were against ranked teams. Except for Bama last year in the SECCG, they won them all. And, Bennett had had some of his best games in those wins.

I am not touting for Bennett other than to say I think he has been a great QB at uGA and I hope losing him hurts their team in the coming years.
i mean you did call him one of the four or five best college qbs of all time. pretty laughable when i don’t know that he’s one of the best four or five qbs of the last decade or so in the sec. have a hard time taking him over burrow, tebow, cam, manziel, tua, bryce young and that’s just in the SEC. not even acknowledging guys like lawrence, winston, kyler, baker, lamar jackson, rg3, and more.

JacketFan137

Banned
What man? You don’t see it? Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Vince Young, Roger Staubach, Stetson Bennett. He fits in right there among the greats. (Lol)

Bennett is probably only like the 5th or 6th best QB Georgia by themselves has had since the turn of the century.
Matt Stafford
Aaron Murray
David Greene
Jake Fromm

Anybody who says Stetson Bennett is a top 5 QB EVER really needs to go through a crash course on college football.
i think he has a case at uga to be over fromm but i do think the rest of the guys like aaron murray, greene and stafford were much more talented. bennett just ran up the win column with by far the best supporting cast in uga’s history.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Matt Stafford
Aaron Murray
David Greene
Jake Fromm

Limited natural ability, must be extremely well coached. Hmmm......

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Limited natural ability, must be extremely well coached. Hmmm......
He’s coached and he plays in an extremely well designed system. Hence my original comment that got the whole Bennett dialogue started which was that I hope we become UGA-lite with our new assembly of coaches.

UGA has way more talent on the line and at important positions like TE and RB that they run their offense through. So we would probably have to adapt that system where we’re using 3 and 4 WRs more often to spread the field out whereas they run a lot of sets with a 12 formation. We’ll probably be in a lot more 11 or 10 sets until we can develop some reliable TE options who can block and catch passes.

There is a ton of variability in Monken and Georgia’s offense that they don’t bring out very often because they simply don’t need to. They have an extremely good balance of power concepts mixed with spread and even some option.

I think with Faulkner only having about 7 months to really get everything implemented we won’t really see the breadth of where we want to be offensively until 2024. But we’ll see a very different team in 2023, one that you can watch and see a very clear direction for where we want to go. I hope we are able to hold onto both Faulkner and Josh Crawford for the 2024 season, because that combo with an experienced junior QB in Pyron could be wild.

JacketFan137

Banned
You guys are brutal. Let's stop and think about how we're attacking one of our fellow GT fans over a comment, that with a little more consideration, would agree that it was an extreme comment. I'm feeling the use of hyperbole instead of really believing he's one of the 4-5 best college QBs he's ever seen.
1672618161279.gif

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He’s coached and he plays in an extremely well designed system. Hence my original comment that got the whole Bennett dialogue started which was that I hope we become UGA-lite with our new assembly of coaches.

UGA has way more talent on the line and at important positions like TE and RB that they run their offense through. So we would probably have to adapt that system where we’re using 3 and 4 WRs more often to spread the field out whereas they run a lot of sets with a 12 formation. We’ll probably be in a lot more 11 or 10 sets until we can develop some reliable TE options who can block and catch passes.

There is a ton of variability in Monken and Georgia’s offense that they don’t bring out very often because they simply don’t need to. They have an extremely good balance of power concepts mixed with spread and even some option.

I think with Faulkner only having about 7 months to really get everything implemented we won’t really see the breadth of where we want to be offensively until 2024. But we’ll see a very different team in 2023, one that you can watch and see a very clear direction for where we want to go. I hope we are able to hold onto both Faulkner and Josh Crawford for the 2024 season, because that combo with an experienced junior QB in Pyron could be wild.
This is right on target.
We know that Key can get the team to play hard and organized. The ol will be a group of grown men by next november.
With these younger coaching guys who have shown creativity we have a chance of being an effective team that can recruit.
Looking at the just posted Rivals 2024 target list we are aiming high.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I despise the guy but I‘ll admit that Bennett is clutch when the game is on the line, I don’t watch uga play much because i hate watching them win but when I have he has impressed me.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

Matt Stafford
Aaron Murray
David Greene
Jake Fromm

Don’t forget Fran Tarkenton and Buck Belue to name a couple.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I want to clarify my earlier statement. I do not think Bennett is the best passer in college football. He is damn good (near the top), but he is a winner in the way few in the history of college football have been. He is not just an OK guy surrounded by great supporting players. You watch the 4th quarter yesterday and Bennett owned that game. Just when it looked like uGA would lose and make all us of happy, he refused to be beaten. That is what makes a great QB.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I want to clarify my earlier statement. I do not think Bennett is the best passer in college football. He is damn good (near the top), but he is a winner in the way few in the history of college football have been. He is not just an OK guy surrounded by great supporting players. You watch the 4th quarter yesterday and Bennett owned that game. Just when it looked like uGA would lose and make all us of happy, he refused to be beaten. That is what makes a great QB.
I think we finally have a staff of very good position coaches.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The old “winners win” argument. Bennett wins because he plays on the best team in college football. If he played for TCU, or Arkansas, or Georgia Tech, or Michigan, or Utah, or South Carolina, or literally any team other than probably UGA, Alabama, or Ohio State he wouldn’t be a “winner.” If UGA and Ohio State had swapped QBs for yesterday’s game, Georgia would’ve won by 25+.

At no point did Stetson Bennett take over that game. He did what he needed to do, which was feed the ball to his stars. His biggest play of the game was throwing a touchdown pass to a guy who didn’t have a defender within 25 yards of him. When Bennett was pressured early in the game he crumbled. He made some terrible passes, multiple passes that could’ve been intercepted, and one that was. Late in the game they had a designed swing pass set up that was probably an easy touchdown, but Bennett threw it straight in the ground for a backwards lateral that cost them about 7 yards. Brock Bowers, the best TE in the country, saved their *** on that drive by fighting through contact for a first down on a critical 4th down play that probably would’ve ended the game.

Bennett and Stroud ended up with the exact same completion/attempt ratio at 23/34, but if you watched the game you would know that those incompletions weren’t created equally. Most of Bennett’s were just flat out bad decisions or bad throws. Most of Stroud’s were under duress throwing it away, and well thrown balls that weren’t caught. He definitely missed on a few throws too, but out of his 11 incompletions I’d say only 2-3 were complete misses. Where out of Bennett’s 11, probably 7-8 were.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
I see where you’re coming from, agree he has that “it” factor, Tommy Frazier of Nebraska was like that, won back to back titles. Just knew how to make right play at right time.