State of the ACC: Your View

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Goodness gracious I've read all the posts and the woe is me attitude as to Tech is disappointing! Yes I know Tech's coming off a 3-9 season and yes I know about all the new coaches. BUT I wouldn't trade CPJ for any of them! IF they succeed at their new schools so be it but for goodness sake the freaking sky isn't falling at the Flats. Since CPJ's been at Tech I'd put what he's accomplished up against any coach in the ACC. We all know the hurdles ANY coach would and does face at Tech. Screw the rest of the ACC and the newbie coaches, Tech has the best coach in the conference. Tell me WHO, given the issues inherent to Tech, would/could have done better? I'm not drinking any Koolaid, I'm not satisfied where the program is but I see recruiting getting better overall, I see coaches who know what they're doing and I don't see where Tech will ever have another losing season under CPJ absent the perfect storm we saw last year!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I agree that overall the ACC is getting stronger. The elite of the league - FSU, Clemson - may finally be the rising tide that lifts all boats.

Due to my heightened sensitivity to Syracuse bashing I'll offer some data points re: their "hopelessness", which I think is mostly a result of a bad run in the 2000's and a single 56-0 drubbing at Bobby Dodd.
  • Syracuse has won 3 bowl games in the last 6 years
  • During that same span UVA qualified for 1 bowl game and lost
  • Both got rid of coaches this last offseason due to unacceptable results
Syracuse had a very similar run through the 90's. So, it's possible UVA is hopeless too, but actually I think both have some promise.
Were I a betting man my bet would be that within five years Clemson and FSU get a good look at SEC books and TV revenue and magically get admitted to the SEC. If that happens the ACC is going to be in deep, second class water.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Were I a betting man my bet would be that within five years Clemson and FSU get a good look at SEC books and TV revenue and magically get admitted to the SEC. If that happens the ACC is going to be in deep, second class water.

Except:
  • Florida does not want FSU in the conference.
  • USCe does not want Clemson in the conference.
  • Neither school would add a new TV market, which is where most of the additional money for additional schools comes from.
  • The ACC buyout is now at approximately $50 million. Even if the schools get $10 million more per year in the SEC, it would take 5 years to pay the buyout fee. I have seen estimates for the difference in payout all the way from a high of $10 million to a low of $4 million. If it were $4 million, it would take 12.5 years to recoup the buyout fee.
If you are looking for a Power 5 conference that is in trouble, the Big12 would be the one.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I think Miami was on a slow decline 5 years ago. They have arrived at mediocrity at this point. Since joining the ACC they haven't done anything. Its hard to say VT is trying to dislodge them when VT has been a significantly better program for over a decade. Can Richt turn it around? I personally doubt it.
You are probably right but don't underestimate them. They have plenty of talent. Like UNC, talent at Miami is taken for granted. Now what they do with it is another proposition altogether but they still reel in players we can only dream about. Of course, in many cases the "dream" ends up being a nightmare for coaches and administrators but that is another story.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Let's be clear. We have played georgie close most years, cpj v richt, when they have top 5, top 10 recruiting classes. D'oh U doesn't recruit that well.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
For whatever reason we suck when we play in Miami and tend to play well in Athens. Maybe a rivalry effect? Cant remember ever beating Miami at Miami or even being that competitive there. Might be wrong as I am trusting my memory! :woot:

GTFLETCH

Banned
For 2014-15 the 14 full-time football-playing schools received an average of $26.2 million -- putting the ACC third among the Power 5 conferences. How does that compare to the other P5 conferences?

SEC $32.7 million/school
B1G $29.3 million/school
ACC $26.2 million/school
Pac12 $25.1 million/school
Big12 $23.3 million/school

Oh and there are signs that an ACC Network will start before the GOR is up .. I think the ACC is fine. I think the network starting before the GOR should show that the FB brand has improved!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For whatever reason we suck when we play in Miami and tend to play well in Athens. Maybe a rivalry effect? Cant remember ever beating Miami at Miami or even being that competitive there. Might be wrong as I am trusting my memory! :woot:
I think we won twice in Miami during the Chan years.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Goodness gracious I've read all the posts and the woe is me attitude as to Tech is disappointing! Yes I know Tech's coming off a 3-9 season and yes I know about all the new coaches. BUT I wouldn't trade CPJ for any of them! IF they succeed at their new schools so be it but for goodness sake the freaking sky isn't falling at the Flats. Since CPJ's been at Tech I'd put what he's accomplished up against any coach in the ACC. We all know the hurdles ANY coach would and does face at Tech. Screw the rest of the ACC and the newbie coaches, Tech has the best coach in the conference. Tell me WHO, given the issues inherent to Tech, would/could have done better? I'm not drinking any Koolaid, I'm not satisfied where the program is but I see recruiting getting better overall, I see coaches who know what they're doing and I don't see where Tech will ever have another losing season under CPJ absent the perfect storm we saw last year!
"Who would have done better? Well, given the aforementioned limitations placed upon our program by the BOR, the Hill, and various assorted evils, probably no one. Nobody knows that offense like he does. The problem as we all know is recruiting. It is difficult in this day and age in a power 5 conference to compete without the horses. We do not have enough difference makers on either side of the ball especially defense. Nonetheless, what other team has coaches clamoring for an off date before they play us? We have more teams with off dates before our game than anyone in the ACC. Gee, I wonder why? Couldn't be that high school triple option offense could it? Run that "dadgum wishbone" as Coach Bowdon liked to call it.