Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
Once again for the people in the back.. Sims is the most talented and has shown the ability to win games. As a true freshman he is doing fairly well. Would like to see improvements in the pocket under zone looks, more sacks taken rather than launching the ball, and more QB draws which I would suspect are highly effective so far.

As for Graham, a talented athlete but the short passing game really was not effective last year.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s easy to pick on the QB. But if you think Sims is having a rough start then we should call out half our defense. Carpenter has been non existent and his lack of tackling and lack of cover ability have led to TD’s. The only time I’ve seen Thomas has been on other teams highlight videos. Sims is not our problem and is the best QB we’ve had around here in years. He’s making rookie mistakes and will get better. A lot of our other guys aren’t rookies and still get burned. Y’all are ridiculous with this instant win mentality. We will consistently win when we have better players and it will take recruiting to get better players. We are ahead of schedule based on Sims and Gibbs alone.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
They need to simplify the playbook for Sims. He is getting hit way too many times (or tipped passes) which are plays which take time to develop. He needs to have more checkdown opportunities than he does today. The blitzes killed us on Saturday and will in the future unless we have shorter passing schemes. We have really good backs and one way to counter the pressure is swing passes, screens, etc
Ding ding ding

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s easy to pick on the QB. But if you think Sims is having a rough start then we should call out half our defense. Carpenter has been non existent and his lack of tackling and lack of cover ability have led to TD’s. The only time I’ve seen Thomas has been on other teams highlight videos. Sims is not our problem and is the best QB we’ve had around here in years. He’s making rookie mistakes and will get better. A lot of our other guys aren’t rookies and still get burned. Y’all are ridiculous with this instant win mentality. We will consistently win when we have better players and it will take recruiting to get better players. We are ahead of schedule based on Sims and Gibbs alone.

Agreed. Only guys that have shown flashes on D are Walton, C Thomas, and Ryans. I know he’s a tweener body type, but Thomas should be on the field more than he currently is.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Don't know the raw data that goes into this... but interesting

I just looked it up because I was curious. The image a bit misleading as the chart is actually based specifically on the team's success rate for standard down and passing downs.

You can reproduce the chart by going here https://collegefootballdata.com/metrics/season
In data point one, choose offense / standard down / success rate
In data point two, choose offense / passing down / success rate

Passing Downs are defined as 2nd downs with 7 or more yards to go or 3rd and 4th downs with 5 or more yards to go.
Standard Downs are anything that is not considered to be a passing down.
Success Rate is an efficiency metric that determines the success of a play. Successful plays meet one of the following criteria:
  • the offense scored
  • 1st downs which gain at least 50% of the yards to go
  • 2nd downs which gain at least 70% of the yards to go
  • 3rd and 4th downs which gain at least 100% of the yards to go

Graph looks like
1601328848701.png

kalld12

Banned
Once again for the people in the back.. Sims is the most talented and has shown the ability to win games. As a true freshman he is doing fairly well. Would like to see improvements in the pocket under zone looks, more sacks taken rather than launching the ball, and more QB draws which I would suspect are highly effective so far.

As for Graham, a talented athlete but the short passing game really was not effective last year.

I swear this is the only leg all of you have to stand on. What about Sims ability to throw the deep ball with accuracy and in stride (please don’t say a wide open AB that he led out of bounds last game), and his tendencies for turnovers in crucial moments? I keep calling y’all out because the way y’all talk about Sims, you don’t give Graham the same forgiveness under a worse oline. Seriously, expect better.

ebigtexas

Georgia Tech Fan
I swear this is the only leg all of you have to stand on. What about Sims ability to throw the deep ball with accuracy and in stride (please don’t say a wide open AB that he led out of bounds last game), and his tendencies for turnovers in crucial moments? I keep calling y’all out because the way y’all talk about Sims, you don’t give Graham the same forgiveness under a worse oline. Seriously, expect better.

I think we also need to consider their running ability. Graham’s speed is great, his decision making during runs was maddening. So many times he took poor angles or misread blockers, thereby running right into a defender. It literally negated his speed. Sims shows much better running ability, is a load to bring down, and has awareness of the down marker to keep the drive going.

Last edited:

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
This is a....uh interesting regression. My god Lawrence.
Also do we have an update on the L'Ville QB? Scary situation in the Pitt game. Hope the kid is ok man football gets scary too often. Had a kid from my high school have a brainstem bleed last week in a game against Westminster. No idea if he is even going to survive. Starting to question if I can even support football anymore.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Graham lost me last year when he said he did not practice as hard and good as he should and was not ready .

GT_EE78

Banned
If they were going to pull him, they would have pulled him at half time I would think. They sent him back out after halftime and he then went 10/14 for 125 yards (while only playing in 6 of our 9 possessions). You then wouldn't go back and pull him at that point I wouldn't imagine.
I think you're right and i don't expect any change, but i do think they need to do something different. maybe just help Sims read the D.
I don't see how having Sims on the sideline for the first series each half would hurt any.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the cancellation of spring practice hurt our QB development more than we realize. Young qb's need reps and they missed a ton of live full speed reps during the spring. Another thing I question is the amount of coaching going in during the game between offensive series. Maybe there is something to the suggestion that the qb coach/OC move to the sidelines to better coach these young QBs during the game.
Also, there were some things the staff could have done better in the Syracuse game to better protect the qb and take some pressure off. I don't think we responded well at all.