Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
You may want to watch the games last year again. And remember after one game we lost him saying he didn't practice like he should have , a QB is a leader and not someone who doesn't give 100% at practice.
I really wish some of you would remember Joe Hamilton's first year as a freshman and how people would say he was not ready.

( let's just hope it's not the QB coach and if it is then CGC needs to do something )
I'm 24 so I was a baby when Joe was playing, can't say I was there for that lol

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
You may want to watch the games last year again. And remember after one game we lost him saying he didn't practice like he should have , a QB is a leader and not someone who doesn't give 100% at practice.
I really wish some of you would remember Joe Hamilton's first year as a freshman and how people would say he was not ready.

( let's just hope it's not the QB coach and if it is then CGC needs to do something )
Also the same argument could be made for how good Reggie looked at the start of his freshman year only for him to implode down the line. So who knows where Sims will end up

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Also the same argument could be made for how good Reggie looked at the start of his freshman year only for him to implode down the line. So who knows where Sims will end up
Reggie could have been very good but was not coached , hence that could be the problem the QB coach ( OC) is up in the booth and may need to be on the field to talk to him and tell him what he sees . Any young player needs a good coach.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Reggie could have been very good but was not coached , hence that could be the problem the QB coach ( OC) is up in the booth and may need to be on the field to talk to him and tell him what he sees . Any young player needs a good coach.
True, I agree that we should have some doubts about the quality of coaching here. But I suppose that we should really be treating this like year 1, last year in my book was year 0 of the rebuild. Just a bummer that CPJ's teams were so consistent and pretty rarely **** the bed as we did against cuse even though we didn't always win. Hopefully, they can figure this out but this is the perfect time for a bye week so Sims can take a breath.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
They need to simplify the playbook for Sims. He is getting hit way too many times (or tipped passes) which are plays which take time to develop. He needs to have more checkdown opportunities than he does today. The blitzes killed us on Saturday and will in the future unless we have shorter passing schemes. We have really good backs and one way to counter the pressure is swing passes, screens, etc

kalld12

Banned
I think it's about time we put James Grahm back in. He does not make nearly as many ridiculous mistakes as Sims has made over the past two weeks. Jeff needs to ride the bench for a little while IMO.

Sims is no longer a “lock” to start. Trust me, don’t have to look hard on social media to see it. Look for a lot of competition over the next 2 weeks in practice with the bye to re-evaluate. It’s Sims and Graham, just wait and see

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Sims is no longer a “lock” to start. Trust me, don’t have to look hard on social media to see it. Look for a lot of competition over the next 2 weeks in practice with the bye to re-evaluate. It’s Sims and Graham, just wait and see
Again if players are on social media telling who needs to start we have a very bad problem . ( B** L**** years ) CGC needs to stop being a players coach and stop that crap now. if not Tstan made the wrong pick. I would say if this is true which I hope not we will be lucky to any 1 more game. The Players need to learn the coaches run the team not the players . If you have a cancer on the team cut it out .

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Again if players are on social media telling who needs to start we have a very bad problem . ( B** L**** years ) CGC needs to stop being a players coach and stop that crap now. if not Tstan made the wrong pick. I would say if this is true which I hope not we will be lucky to any 1 more game. The Players need to learn the coaches run the team not the players . If you have a cancer on the team cut it out .
I think you put too much stock in social media, like who gives a crap if the players like one guy over the other? They have known Graham longer it makes sense that they might back him more, that doesn't mean they are against Sims. They may just feel Sims is jittery and needs to settle down so Graham should get a shot.

Deleted member 2897

He was 10/14 in the second half. I highly doubt they would bring in a replacement QB to start when Sims just completed 72% of his passes.

Deleted member 2897

I get your point, but he was 13/28 for the game, and 14% of his passes were INT's. I think someone else might be able to do better.

If they were going to pull him, they would have pulled him at half time I would think. They sent him back out after halftime and he then went 10/14 for 125 yards (while only playing in 6 of our 9 possessions). You then wouldn't go back and pull him at that point I wouldn't imagine.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I said this during the chat too, but I wish we would have had Graham available and let him take a few series in the 2nd quarter so Sims could watch and see what the D was doing. I can't say for certain, because I didn't get a call in game from CDP but it does seem like Sims is getting tripped up by some of the zone coverages we see. Having a few series to watch and talk through it with a designated coach to talk through the looks has to have been a better option than playing though a few more picks.

My other gripe is the Competition is King being beaten into every message. There have to be consequences for turnovers. Sims has to figure it out. Messaging is getting muddied when guys "under the lights" don't get it done. I understand you can't have a super short leash on a true freshman if you believe he is the franchise guy, but you also can't laugh it off and chuckle your way through 98 total pass attempts yielding a 55% completion rate with 8 (~8% of total attempts) interceptions and only 3 TD passes. Especially given the high number of short/intermediate passes we have thrown (average pass length is just about 7 yds) and a QBR of 34.7.

I think Sims is going to be a good, if not great QB for us, but still think we get minimal gain long term, and much less gain short term, making him trot out for all but 2 series through the first three games. The other thing is, the longer we wait to try to get him a few off series in game, the worse it will appear when he does eventually get the hook for a breather. What we saw with Yates last weekend was painful to watch. That's why I am sticking with Graham.

IIWII though and I'm not a coach. Just a dude, sitting on the back porch drinking coffee and posting to a chatboard on a Monday after a tough loss.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I get your point, but he was 13/28 for the game, and 14% of his passes were INT's. I think someone else might be able to do better.

Two of those picks (pop ups when they hit Sims blindly while he was throwing) were on the O-Line not handling the 3-3-5 Cuse was running. Another of the pics was heavily influenced by the rush, and in general we let Cuse put a lot of heat on our QB. Really good, seasoned QBs can get rushed hard and still succeed, but I can't recall true freshmen coming in and thriving under those circumstances. Getting some tight ends back who are more of a threat in the passing game than Coco will help (not taking anything away from Coco who is saving our tails by working his tail off to convert to TE).

As you say, someone else *MIGHT* have been able to do better. But then again they might not have been. Yates did not look great in his series, though that's a tough place to come in when everybody knows you're chucking it. If you lose a game though the coaches are in a conundrum with the fans. If it's one QB you are playing, fans say you should be playing other guys. If you play multiple QBs, fans say we just need to pick one guy and develop him. These kids compete in practice and I am willing to wager Sims won the job pretty clearly.

I would like to see Graham at some point though just to see how he's developed. One thing I saw last year was he was willing to stay in the pocket and launch a strike long while getting annihilated by rusher(s).

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Game was effectively over at that point and probably wanted to get the back up some reps.
I have to say every time we have put Yates in, both last year and then in the game Saturday, I have not been impressed at all. Granted, it isn't fair to judge him when he hasn't even been given the chance start a game, I am just saying the few times we have put Yates in I didn't see anything special.